itinerary for walks in the Dolomites in October 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go to the Dolomites on October 10 2011. Could not make it any earlier. . We will have 2 weeks there and would like to walk, or hike (not too strenuously, no via ferrata or the likes). We will rent a car, but prefer to stay in a hotel in one place or change lodgings not too often. Most probably we will fly into Milan.
We will be very grateful for any ideas and recommendations of routs, trails, cable cars that are still operating, places to stay, things to do in the evenings,etc. Thanks
Judith
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM

This is the best trip report for that--happens to be my son and family. Have fun !
http://www.onelittleworld.com/dolomites_1.html
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Hi Judith - Most of the lifts are closed by then - with one or two exceptions - e.g. Alpe di Siusi, Sass Pordoi, Lagazuoi. But you can reach lovely hiking areas by car, of course.

I'd certainly recommend spending some of your time in the Val Gardena/ Alpe di Siusi area - it makes a fine base -
http://www.valgardena.it/en/

October is low season so your options in the evening will be hotel-based - unless you go into Bolzano, for example.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
That's a wonderful and informative report. Very helpful. However most of the cable cars stop operating at the end of September and we will be there in mid-October.
Need to look very closely at what's available.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Dear Steve, thanks for your reply. We will certainly take your advice and stay at least a week in Val Gardena. I am thinking of moving to Arabba and doing Alta Badia for the second week.
Having read the detailed blog of the Go family, I am even more thrilled about our trip. However, there remain questions that have to do with the fact that we are going in the low season.
I suppose that since it is the low season, we will be better off in a bigger town, e.g. Ortisei, rather than the smaller Selva.
How we get hold of local maps to plan trips that do not depend on cable cars or use those that are still operating? I understand we need the Tabacco Maps, but having looked for them in the internet, I see that there seems to be so many of them. Which are essential and what's the best place to order them?
The Ciceron book "shorter hikes in the Dolomites" seems a good source too. I just started reading it in search if hikes around the cable cars that still work in October.
I'll be grateful for any input.
Judith
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Anybody there?
I will greatly appreciate a response to my last post
Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Hi Judith -

Sorry for the delay - I've been away. I don't think you need to get Tabacco maps in advance for your hiking trips - you can pick up any you may want when you're there.

If you want a road map of the area for touring/driving, my favourite is the 'Italian Touring Club' regional 'Alto Adige' map - which covers the Dolomites area.

I've posted several scenic Dolomites drives here previously - let me know if you're interested, I'll post a link.

Let me know if I can be of further help ...

Steve