Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Talk me into ballet at Paris Opera Garnier

Mar 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

There are seats available at the June 3th ballet performance of Proust ou les intermittences du coeur. However only the most expensive tickets are left, 85 Euros each for balcony seats 121, 123, and 125. We have only been to one other opera in our lives (at the Met in New York City), and would primarly go to see the theater Garnier itself. We could visit during the day for 8 Euro. I guess I'm bummed that I didn't check or book earlier as only the most expensive tickets are left. But maybe its still worth the 85 Euro as its great to see the theatre in action and seats much more comfortable than the cheap seats? I guess only we can decide if the money is worth it to us, but its always nice to hear other's thoughts!
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM

I would definitely go for it if you can swing the euros. First of all, seeing a ballet (and this is a ballet, not an opera) at the Garnier is a memorable experience, much more special than the tour (which I have also done). Plus, this ballet is based on the works of Marcel Proust, a very Parisian author, so you would be really immersing yourself in all things Paris by going. And the composers are all master classical composers, so it should not be edgy and awful as some modern dance can be. I think it will be a highlight (maybe THE highlight) of your trip.
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM

I always end up looking at the ceiling during performances at the Garnier. Went to see Raymonda last Xmas.

Nice having a champagne in the interval too.
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM

The seats are all equally comfortable, the difference in price has to do with the view of the stage. If you can afford it, then yes I would encourage you to go. Seeing a performance in that sumputious setting is a unique experience. I haven't taken the tour but I can't imagine it would be any near as special as attending a show.

I'm assuming from your post that you haven't seen a ballet before. If so, you can't go wrong with seeing one of the best companies in the world your first time. The dancing will be top notch.

I haven't seen this particular ballet myself. Petit is not one of my favourite choreographers, I find him a bit old fashioned. But, like Cimbrone said, maybe that is a good thing for a first ballet. I think the music is a combination of 19th century French composers, Debussey and Saint Saens and the like.
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM

I've seen only a short excerpt of that ballet, danced by the San Francisco Ballet years ago, and loved it. Always wanted to see the full-length piece, especially with POB, but every time they bring it back, it's a time of year when I can't go!

(I've got to stop opening these Paris threads and getting depressed).

Yes, going to a performance is much better than taking the tour-- you don't always get to see the auditorium when touring-- it's often closed for rehearsals or whatever.
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM

You will have an experience that you will remember for the rest of your life (well, the 8€ tour is unforgettable, too - but in a different way).

Go for it.
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

All right you talked me into it! I booked the tickets. Fodors 2008 Guidebook lists the Garnier as a top rated "Fodors Choice" sight, one step up from Highly Recommended, so I think it'll certainly be memorable with no regrets. I'm taking my parents on their first (and maybe only) trip to France.