Taking prescription medications with you

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:21 PM
nita

Taking prescription medications with you

This is my first trip and I will be taking several medications, some that require a prescription and some over the counter. To save space, is it ok to put in zip lock baggies, or do they need to be in the original bottle from the pharmacy or the original otc bottle? <BR>Thanks, I have found alot of other good info here, but haven't seen this issue addressed.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:26 PM
Frank

Nita: I always put my prescription drugs in zip locks along with my vitamins. I guess technically they should be stored in there original containers to prove that you have a valid prescription should they be confiscated for some reason. Also, based on the length of your trip and how critical it is to take, I guess if you had the original prescription container, you might have an easier time of re-filling them in the event they got lost or destroyed. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:31 PM
bettyk

It is recommended that you always carry your medication in the original container OR have a copy of your prescription with you in case customs officials ever check. It is also a good idea to have the generic name of your prescription along with dosage, i.e., 25 mg tablets, etc., just in case you need to get a refill overseas.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:40 PM
Barbara

Nita, actually, this has been addressed several times, but it's an important issue. You should keep your meds in the original bottles and carry with you. Do not check medication, ever. You might also let your pharmacist know where you're going, so if there's a problem he or she will know how to help.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:46 PM
kimbuys

I have to take 4 different pills. What I do is put enough of each in their original containers and bring with me. Then, I leave the rest at home. This lessens the weight load, and should the bottles get lost, I still have some when I arrive home. I strongly suggest bringing the original bottles with you, and saving on space somewhere else. Also - do not check your meds in with your luggage. Bring them aboard with other important and/or expensive items. Have a happy and safe, healthy trip!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:58 PM
janice

Dear Nita, <BR>DEFINITELY keep them in their original bottles with the Doctor's name, pharmacy phone number etc. I had a terrible time getting back into the US once from Italy (arriving in Chicago) with three prescriptions from a pharmacy about 6 miles from O'Hare. The customs guy went all kinds of hysterical over everything in my bag, but those gave him particular delight. Finally his supervisor just told him to either phone the pharmacy, or cool his insane jets. Had I been carrying them just in a baggy, I'd still be in Cook County jail.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:59 PM
JOdy

kimbuys has exactly the right advice, Take what you'll need plus a few extra- you never know when 1 will fall into the toilet or sink!- and leave the rest at home. Original bottles only, Placing your medication in ziplocks exposes it to light and humidity, Rx vials are designed to be light and moisture resistant. Also have your Dr write out prescriptions( including the generic name) for you to carry. I also carry a copy of my prescription for my glasses, even though I take an extra pair. I actually had to use it in Paris once. You might want to check out pharmacies in europe, some things that require a Rx here don't there, Claritin for example. It is only about 1/4 the cost in UK as we pay here. You can bring back a 90 day supply for your personal use even though it does require a prescription in the US.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 01:38 PM
xxxx

to all travlers checkout the US customs web site tey give you all the information you will eveer need to know it is a very helpful web site www.uscustoms.gov

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:11 PM
Us Customs

<BR> <BR> Consumer Alert <BR> <BR> The U.S. Customs Service enforces Federal laws and regulations, <BR> including those of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the <BR> Food and Drug Administration (FDA). <BR> <BR> A new bill was recently passed by Congress that amends a portion of <BR> the Controlled Substances Act (21USC956(a)). This amendment <BR> allows a United States resident to import up to 50 dosage units of a <BR> controlled medication without a valid prescription at an international <BR> land border. These medications must be declared upon arrival, be for <BR> your own personal use and in their original container. However, <BR> travelers should be aware that drug products which are not approved <BR> by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration may not be acceptable for <BR> such importation. FDA warns that such drugs are often of unknown <BR> quality and discourages buying drugs sold in foreign countries. Please <BR> go to http://www.fda.gov/ora/import/purcha...edications.htm for <BR> further information. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:10 PM
JOdy

Controlled substances are class I-V substnces , what the layman would call narcotics, codeine, demerol morphine, etc.most of which you cannot purchase anyway without a Dr.'s prescrition in europe, though codeine is readily available especially for cough. Regular prescription drugs such as antihistamines, can be brought in , up to 90 days, as long as you are willing to state they are for your own use, and can provide your dr.s name , etc. They must be drugs that are approved for use in the USA. I bring in claritin on every trip, what I save pays for 2 nights hotels! <BR> <BR>Another thought, if yourRX containers are large, just call your pharmacy, ask them to run labels and give you smaller bottles that will hold the supply you are taking with you.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:31 PM
Walter

Just a FWIW You cannot bring Codeine into Greece, in any form even with a prescription. I'm sure you can still find this info on Greek Embassy websites. Regards, Walter <BR>