Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taking photographs in Parisian restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taking-photographs-in-parisian-restaurants-209784/)

Linda Apr 30th, 2002 05:37 AM

Taking photographs in Parisian restaurants

I don't want to be an ugly American in Paris. Is it considered rude to take a discreet(if that's possible)photograph of our dinner party while dining in a restaurant? Without flash? Cafe? Street table?

Julie Apr 30th, 2002 05:51 AM

We take pictures in restaurants but generally of the food, course by course even if it's really picturesque. We used to be a bit self-conscious about this but we were in a restaurant once when my husband whipped out his camera and was just about to "shoot his lunch" when we saw one of the waiters nearly bound across the room toward us. We thought, oh, oh, we're going to be busted. Instead, the waiter repositioned the plate on the table so it would be perfectly alligned to show the food off to advantage in the picture. We've never been shy about doing this since. By the way, our food pictures are some of the ones most oohed and ahhed over by those who are kind enough to watch our travel videos on return.

Julie Apr 30th, 2002 06:08 AM

I should have mentioned that we frequently take pictures of our party as well as of the food. We try to be discreet on this and it helps that we tend to eat early so we are often one of only a handful of tables occupied at the start of our meal so that it may be easier to ensure that we're picturing only our party and not the older gentleman and his "niece" at the table next to us.

Rex Apr 30th, 2002 07:20 AM

You probably should be aware that taking a picture on a restaurant -= - to show the decor or the general appearance of the restaurant might offend some French people. I think that a certain segment of the French population is quite privacy minded. Indeed, there is some backlash against anonymously taking the picture of people to "capture the feeling" of a place. I know a lot of Americans who were thrilled to get a picture of two young Parisians kissing in public (a popular pastime). But I have often been told by locals that "no one has the right" to take someone else's picture without their permission - - not even in a public place.<BR><BR>And as a corollary, many French people are not crazy about being asked if you can take a picture inside their home. I conceptualize it this way - - they don't provide washcloths in hotels because they consider that a very personal private item - - just like they wouldn't provide you underwear. We would never think it appropriate to take a photograph inside the medicine cabinet in someone else's home; they might feel the same way about their living room. Different privacy standards apply in different cultures.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

up Apr 30th, 2002 08:34 AM

upping<BR>

zootsi Apr 30th, 2002 08:40 AM

Without a flash? I don't see any problem with this. My wife and I did this in many restaurants throughout Europe.

LJ Apr 30th, 2002 08:41 AM

Interesting question, I think Rex has nailed it with one exception:the outdoor cafe...it has a more relaxed feel, the photo can be achieved more discretely and you can get an angle that ensures you do not capture someone elses'"private moment". <BR><BR>BTW, while most family style restaurants in North America would consider the family photo just fine, we were asked not to take a picture of our group in a (very elegant) restaurant recently in New York city...the waiter kindly offered to pose and shoot our group in the front waiting area instead.

Wendy Apr 30th, 2002 09:23 AM

O.k I gotta throw my 2 cents in here. I have seen more Italian tourists taking pictures in restaurants than Americans. And those Italians are LOUD let me tell you! But it seems that the people are good natured and having fun and I've never seen a waiter react badly. Just the opposite, I've seen them offer to take the picture!!<BR><BR>Also while dining at Taillevent the Japanese couple next to us asked the waited to take their picture. He was more than happy to. After he came over and aked why I didn't bring my camera so we could have a picture. When I told him I had it but didn't feel it was appropriate he laughed and said that was silly and demanded I let him take our picture. Then I pleaded to not use the flash and he said "then what is the point?" <BR><BR>I think that it is best to look at each place seperately and get a sense for how it will be viewed. Certainly places that are use to tourists will not mind at all! And taking a photo of a party having dinner is done everywhere as long as it doesn't disturb other guests!<BR><BR>Have a fantastic time and show us your pictures when you return!!

European Apr 30th, 2002 09:34 AM

Of course you can take pictures in restaurants. Like somebody said, they are restaurants, not shrines. But please, don´t take pictures of other people, just your own company(or your food). And unless the waiters are very, very busy, they will happily take the picture for you. We may be more formal than Americans, but we are not that formal.

carol Apr 30th, 2002 10:25 AM

Why not? Why is this even an issue? But of course don't pointedly take pictures of OTHER people.

janis Apr 30th, 2002 10:36 AM

Most of the time it is just fine. And most waiters will be happy take your photo. It really helps if you have fast film because a flash would disturb others. But in very upscale places it is always best to ask the waiter or Maitre d first if it is OK.

MaryC Apr 30th, 2002 10:39 AM

If you go to Webshots and do a search for "Paris" photos, you will find one taken inside a restaurant in a long-view shot. Towards the front are 2 VERY startled looking men staring back in the photo. Very, very telling. Just thought I'd share!! : )

ha Apr 30th, 2002 10:43 AM

What "backlash"? Demanding that our troops not cross French territory? Requesting that the Louisiana Purchase be declared void?<BR><BR>Hahaha

richardab Apr 30th, 2002 10:54 AM

This is silly. Take your pictures and have a good time. Don't worry about what others think. If the restaurant has a policy about not taking photos (as if you were a spy) they will tell you. Have a good ameal and a good time and do as you please.<BR><BR>P.S. I took a pic of nearly every Paris restaurant I ate in. No issues, no questions, no attitudes...

MaryC Apr 30th, 2002 11:03 AM

Here's the link: http://community.webshots.com/photo/858322/1562999VLWyGhNaSa<BR><BR>I agree that it's okay to take pictures inside of a restuarant as long as it's done with tact (as described above) but the way this photo was taken apparently caught a few off guard. : )

richardab Apr 30th, 2002 11:10 AM

That looks like Ma Bourgogne. No one really looks startled, maybe off guard, but not startled. I have over digital 1000 pics from my Paris trip with people that were much more surprised than that! I love candid pics...<BR><BR>P.S. I am more distrubed by the man in the middle who is smoking. There is also a guy in a grey jacket next to him in jeans! I thought they didn't wear jeans in Paris!

MaryC Apr 30th, 2002 11:15 AM

Richardab, you just posted on your trip report that you saw tons of people in Paris wearing jeans (I DO pay attention)! LOL : )

richardab Apr 30th, 2002 11:18 AM

Yes, I was being sarcastic! I think I am going to do a websight called "Les jeans de Paris" just to prove that lots of people wear jeans in France.

elvira Apr 30th, 2002 11:21 AM

This seems to be an issue of polite behaviour, and I'd depend upon my common sense to steer me right.<BR><BR>Noisy, bustling bistro? There should be no problem, even with a flash, of taking a picture of your group - certainly you can angle the camera so it doesn't flash in other diners' eyes.<BR><BR>Outdoor cafe? Again, just angle the camera so you're taking a picture of your group and not everyone else. If you spend 5 minutes setting up the perfect shot of the Eiffel Tower, you can spend 5 minutes organizing this shot.<BR><BR>Quiet, romantic restaurant? Well, I wouldn't like my intimate dinner interrupted by a flashing camera, so I'd guess nobody else would either. Either have 800 or 1000 speed film in the camera, or give up the shot. Or arrange for a corner table away from everyone else.<BR><BR>This is not an issue of the building being a shrine; this is an issue of being considerate of others. There's no law that says you can't take a flash photo of your party in a movie theater, but it would be extremely self-centered to do so.<BR><BR>And, yes, we've taken lots of pictures of each other and our food, just following our common sense to choose the appropriate place and circumstance.

xxx Apr 30th, 2002 11:32 AM

Why would these French pesrons be offended by a simnple camera flash? They are more offensive when they consume a pack of cigarettes while I am eating my food.