Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taking niece to London-passport issues (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taking-niece-to-london-passport-issues-745513/)

Kristi Oct 29th, 2007 02:50 PM

Taking niece to London-passport issues

I'm taking my 14 year old niece to London with me next summer from the US, originally her mom was going but since she's decided not to come, what sort of documentation would I need to have? We have the same last name but I suspect that has no bearing on it.

I found this on a travel site but I'm not her parent. Do I need a notarized letter from both of them?

"If you are not the child's sole legal guardian, have the other parent sign a notarized letter of consent if you plan on taking a minor child out of the country."

And which country will be more concerned, the UK or the US? Is there anything else of hers I need to bring? ie birth certificate

cheryllj Oct 29th, 2007 03:08 PM

If she is a US citizen travelling on a US passport, I think there will be a greater concern on the part of US passport control, to make sure she's not an abducted child or something.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd have a notarized letter from both parents. I have a friend who travels with her children who have a different last name, and the passport control people will frequently ask both her and her children questions to make sure they belong with her. I would expect that they might ask your niece some questions, but if your last name is the same, they may not even do that.

Carrybean Oct 29th, 2007 03:11 PM

I'd get a notarized letter anyway just in case she needs medical care (God forbid.) In any case, it would be a good thing to have along & it's not that difficult to do.

Apres_Londee Oct 29th, 2007 03:38 PM

Yes, you need a notarized letter (or affidavit), one each from both parents. You won't necessarily be asked to produce them, but immigrations officials in both the US and the UK are entitled to demand them of you.

Kristi Oct 30th, 2007 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone, I will be sure to get notarized letters from both parents just to be safe.

ira Oct 30th, 2007 08:04 AM

Hi K,

In addition to the letter confirming parental permission to take the child out of the country, you also should have a "Power of Attorney" allowing you to act as her parent should somethiing unforseen happen, eg, if she needs medical assistance.

A PoA is merely a "To whom it may concern" letter giving you permission.

((I))

cbo86 Oct 30th, 2007 08:40 AM

I took my 14 yr old niece to London and Paris this past summer and not one time was I asked for any documentation(we have different last names even). All they seemed ro care about was that she had her own passport and a return ticket. I did have a notorized letter signed by both parents just in case. I used the form at singleparenttravel.net just to be safe.

Kristi Oct 31st, 2007 07:58 AM

Thanks for posting that link cbo86, it's helpful to have an example of what the letter needs to say!

Will also get a POA Ira, thanks for mentioning, it's something that a non parent like me wouldn't have thought of.

Toby1 Oct 31st, 2007 03:02 PM

I took my 16 year old niece last year. On advice from British Air her parents prepared a notarized letter for her. She carried it with her to all the check points (Arrivals in Paris, London, on Eurostar, departing LHR) and no one even looked at it. But, that wouldn't stop me from having it.
My niece was the best travel companion I've had yet, have a great time.