Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taking my pooch to Paris. Would if he doesn't like French dog food? Any experience bringing your fussy dog abroad? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taking-my-pooch-to-paris-would-if-he-doesnt-like-french-dog-food-any-experience-bringing-your-fussy-dog-abroad-540226/)

SoeurAnneLafleur Jun 28th, 2005 05:15 PM

Taking my pooch to Paris. Would if he doesn't like French dog food? Any experience bringing your fussy dog abroad?

I thought about bringing my little cocker poodle to Paris along with several cans of his favorite food. When that runs out what will Precious eat if he doesn't care for nouriture pour les chiens? Anyone have canine stories abroad to share?

indytravel Jun 28th, 2005 05:22 PM

Pets are like children. Put reasonable food before them. When they are hungry enough, they will eat.

elaine Jun 28th, 2005 05:25 PM

here is a previous thread on this subject

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34534449

SoeurAnneLafleur Jun 28th, 2005 05:27 PM

Pets are better than children because they love you unconditionally. Children, especially teens, just roll their eyes and let you know how uncool and stupid you are! Leave the kids at home and take the dog to Europe.

internetexplorer Jun 28th, 2005 05:48 PM

If fussy Precious balks at eating French dog food you can take him to McDo for a Happy Meal.

C'est tout ce que j'aime. :-D

mermaid_ Jun 28th, 2005 06:15 PM

I can't believe you would even <i>think</i> of bringing Precious to Paris without enough food. What kind of mother are you, Soeur Anne?

Travelnut Jun 28th, 2005 06:22 PM

Well, Paris <i>is</i> a modern city; I'm sure that decent dogfood can be found at the Monoprix.

P_M Jun 28th, 2005 06:43 PM

What a lucky dog, to have a cool mom like you to take him to Paris!!

There is so much good food in Paris, and the French love their dogs. You can take Precious to a restaurant and buy his dinner. If he can't eat it all, take home a doggy bag. ((&amp;))

kenderina Jun 28th, 2005 07:37 PM

Sure Parisienne Dogs are good gourmets too, so I suppose their food has to be &quot;first quality&quot; :) Anyway,you do not waste all his cans in the first days, just mix them with french foods (dry ones, I mean) and make them last a bit more :)

Intrepid1 Jun 29th, 2005 12:53 AM

If the &quot;wonderful Mom&quot; who may very well be a troll is subjecting the so-called &quot;lucky&quot; dog on an overseas flight, well.....

lilminkey Jun 29th, 2005 02:19 AM

Have the the little ones nails done in teal very very cool.

elaine Jun 29th, 2005 06:35 AM

Oh, she wants to GIVE the dog dinner?
I thought the dog was going to BE dinner, a la Yorkshire Poodling.

Sue4 Jun 29th, 2005 07:03 AM

Intrepid, even is this is a &quot;troll&quot;, the subject of dogs is always amusing. I would love to take my dogs to Paris! Since they are quite large, and sometimes hard to handle, it's not possible. But I enjoy hearing about other people doing it.

BTilke Jun 29th, 2005 08:29 AM

Well, if anyone is actually planning to do this seriously, the easiest thing is to start mixing Royal Canin brand dog food into ther dog's regular diet. Royal Canin is one of the most popular brands of (premium) dog food in France (and elsewhere in Europe) and is available in the U.S. Eventually switch the dog to a complete Royal Canin diet and voila, there's no adjustment to worry about (you can also get Science Diet in Paris, but it's harder to find).

Statia Jun 29th, 2005 08:45 AM

Guess I should take my pups to Paris, especially since they both eat just about anything. Perhaps they will enjoy foie gras along with their kibble?

FainaAgain Jun 29th, 2005 08:51 AM

Here is a real story. One of the San Francisco visitors brought a dog. Her dog was so spoiled - she (human momma) complained there is no park with grass close to her place, and her doggie wouldn't &quot;go&quot; on asphalt.

Sour Anne, are you bringing a potty too, or maybe a litter box?

kenderina Jun 29th, 2005 09:27 AM

Foie Gras was the favourite food of my dog !!! He absolutely got mad about it :) Needless to say, I gave them only as a &quot;prize&quot; or with medicines because it was too greasy for him (he had a stomach problem).
He died 4 years ago, I miss him so much !!

Madison Jun 29th, 2005 10:52 AM

SouerAnneLafleur - You are a troll because yesterday you wrote about your little Chiachuchai (spelling is wrong) you were bringing to Paris because on a previous trip you spent $55 a day and your dog wasn't taken care of.

Fodors has erased it from the boards, but I distinctly remember your post.

oberost Jun 29th, 2005 11:08 AM

Leave the mutt home and enjoy Paris without it!

Madison Jun 29th, 2005 11:30 AM

Soure - please accept my apologies. I could have sworn it was you that posted about the little dog and the $55 a day kennel fees.

This is what happens when I have sugar!!:) Seriously