Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taking mom to UK and Paris, what can't we miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I studied abroad for two months in Scotland and traveled a little last summer. It was my mom's dream trip, so this summer I'm taking her to see where I lived and to do an abbreviated version of my summer exploration. We only have about two weeks and are hoping to go on a budget of between $1,500 and $2,000 per person for everything
I feel like because I have been there my opinion on where we should go is tainted. What can a first-time visitor to the U.K. and Paris absolutely not miss?!

You guys were SO helpful when I was preparing my last trip. I hope you all come through again. Thank you so much!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Hi
Two weeks at $2000 per person --does that include air fare?

I suggest that you buy a good general guidebook for those two cities, or else have your mom use fodors.com and go to the Destinations section to scan the basic info on those cities. I'm sure she will have some ideas of her own--places she has always wanted to visit.

I have files on London and Paris; if you'd lke to see them, email me at
[email protected]

good luck
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:29 AM

I'm curious: Why would you trust the opinions of strangers (us) more than your own first-hand experience in Europe. Have confidence in yourself. After all, our opinions are just as "tainted"!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi D,

If you figure $500 for airfare, you are left with $100/day. About 1/2 of that will be for hotel room.

$50/day is doable in Paris, but is a tight budget for London.

You might find this trip report helpful.

Ira's Mother's trip to Paris
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34497442
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:00 AM

I would say that because you HAVE been there your view of what is to be seen and what is to be avoided is not tainted at all...guidebooks do the same thing you do...selectively include what somebody thinks is/are important.

I suggest you give the guidebook to your Mother and let HER decide what is important and of interest. If you realy don't want to intervene then say nothing, regardless of what she decides she wants to see...and let her experience the good and the not so good for herself. That way it really will be "her" trip and not yours which is what you want..or is it?

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:21 AM

when my 60-something parents came to visit me here in Blighty (with a Eurostar trip to Paris), they really appreciated having some downtime for coffee/tea.

e.g., in paris i 'parked' them in a nice cafe overlooking a square -- they were happy as could be for 90minutes. just sitting, watching the world go by.

likewise for a languous teatime. lots of london places (not the grand hotels at $50/head+ . . . whadda joke) do a good tea service 'round lunchtime. again, parked ourselves on a terrace, had the best smoked chicken&fresh mango finger sandwiches, the tea flowed all afternoon, oh come on let's try the scones then. just watched kensington swirl by. and at only £10/head.

counter all the rushing around with taking things slowly & it'll be a happy trip IMO.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:41 AM

deannagld, your mother might be like mine and say, oh you've been and know what we should see. That would leave the itinerary totally up to you. Maybe you two could go thru the guidebook together and you could get a feel for the places that interest her the most.

I think the trip is doable on the budget you have outlined as long as you make some budget-type choices. For instance, what about your accomodations? Are you renting an apt? And like Ira pointed out, London is very expensive right now with the exchange rate. Your money will go further in Paris for sure.

Your mom is going to absolutely love it!