Taking grandchildren to France

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 12:50 PM
ghb
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking grandchildren to France

I am taking minor grandchildren to Paris for Thanksgiving and need to know what documents I need from their parents to facillitate medical or other associated problems(immigration or state).
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ghb,
I have taken my grandchildren to Europe since the oldest was only 7 years old.
The only thing that you need is the children passports, thats all.
As a matter of fact I was in Italy and France this summer with my nine years old grandson Trevor,and my daughter (not his mom). We had a great time in both countries and Trevor had his share of train's taking, from the ES to the TGV in france.
Have a great time and dont woryy,
Ciao,
kismet
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I had my niece (14) and nephew (13) in Europe in 2001, I had a notarized letter from their parents giving me permission to approve medical care for them if necessary. Thankfully it wasn't necessary.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ghb, I suggest you play it safe and have: (1) Authorization for foreign fravel, (2) Special power of attorney for medical authorization and (3) health care insurance information. The first two are signed by the parents and notarized.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ghb: These days you cannot take the kids out of the country without notarized statements from the parents that you have their permission. If kismetchimera got to Europe this past summer without such documents, it's a bit of a miracle. I had to go through hoops to send my kids with their father, but without me, on a Carnival cruise this past summer because one of the ports of call was in Mexico. Follow jsmith's advice and provide all the documentation you can.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have taken my grandchildren many times out the country, and never had any problems, nobody asked me to show the parents permission, as a matter of fact I was in Europe this summer also.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention, because my daughter is divorced the children father had to give his permission in order to request Trevor passport.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attention! Anyone with document concerns
for children traveling with grandparents,
one legal parent (even when no divorce)
should take a look at page 4 of today's
(Nov. 16) New York Times travel section.
When this posting first went up, I could not
remember the name of the website listed
in the article (www.familytravelforum.com)
which has a form to be downloaded and notarized. Many countries are getting very
strict due to custody disputes, etc. and to
travel without suggested forms can force
a delay of a trip or worse. Canada is very
strict, for example. When my daughter was
7 and I was traveling alone with her to Vancouver we were stopped at immigration
while the female agent asked my daughter
where her dad was. Without batting an eyelash, she answered "at work" (which was
true! - he could not come with us). I had a
notarized copy of my daughter's birth certificate with me, travel documents to prove where we were going, but this was not enough. We would have been detained had
I not brought along a notarized letter from
my husband (we were not divorced or separated) stating that he knew the particulars of our trip and that we were traveling with his knowledge and consent. What's interesting is that on a lark I just decided to bring such a letter along to be prudent, but had not been advised to do so or that it was necessary.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This excerpt is from the New York Times article Boonie references:

--------------------------

Mexico has joined several other countries in requiring that parents traveling alone with children (under age 18 in Mexico's case) carry a notarized letter from the absent parent authorizing the trip, regardless of whether they are married or divorced. Never-married parents, parents whose spouse has died and parents who have been granted sole legal custody of children need to carry notarized proof of their status. In some cases these documents must be translated into the language of the country the parent and child intend to visit. GRANDPARENTS traveling with grandchildren and adults traveling with children who are not theirs must carry letters of authorization from both parents of the children.

Other countries with similar regulations include Australia, Brazil, Chile, Canada, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Israel and Venezuela.

Better More Than Less

Although specific information about each country's entry requirements is posted on the State Department's Web site, officials there recommend that a parent traveling with children aged 18 or younger err on the side of having more documentation than he or she needs.

---------------------------

The State Dept website is

travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html

and is worthwhile checking for every trip to be sure you have the proper documents.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two years ago I took my niece to Europe (then 14 years old) and I had a notarized letter signed by both her parents authorizing me to take her out of the country and to approve any medical care that might be necessary.

I was never asked for the document and she didn't need any medical care but I was glad I had it, just in case.