Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

taking dogs to granada, ferry to santander or tunnel/drive thru france?

Sep 9th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

hi
we're taking our two dogs to the lecrin valley next year and are torn between using the tunnel and driving through france(either via bordeaux or toulouse)...or taking the portsmouth-santander ferry and driving down through spain.
any thoughts,advice,tips(pet friendly hotels etc) greatly appreciated!!
Sep 9th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Well, I like being in cars and I LOVE trains, so I like driving onto the train, and I like the first couple of days of a car journey.

But, being black-haired, only if the a/c's on full blast, and even then I get hot in southern France. Some French churches don't like me going in, but when there's no-one else around the Boss's thing about Romanesque churches in the Saintonge is really useful. Those medievals built REALLY, REALLY, cold floors, and half an hour lying flat out while he's rabbitting on about buttresses is almost as good as a swim.

Also, the French are MUCH nicer about us than the English or Spanish. Mrs B always asks hotels if they're OK with me when she books - and French ones are always as gobsmacked at such a stupid question as they bloody well ought to be. Mais bien sur, madame, they always say.

They all let me into restaurants at supper time, too. So I sit under the table till those amazing French cheese boards come round. Tome de Savoie's my favourite (though there are some really terrific ones in the Pyrenees too). The Boss never quite twigs the waiters have already given me a slice.

The best thing about France? The Baie de Somme motorway service station, about an hour or 2 south of Calais. They've got miles of marshy streams - designed for proper dogs to run round trying to find a bit extra to eat when my two are trying to starve me again. You get all muddy and wet.

But other dogs need a shorter car journey. That means they miss the cheese - which just goes to show what wimps they must be.

I've heard, though (and the Boss won't let me google this) that many boats make dogs sleep in the car while their bosses are all getting sloshed upstairs. I think that's really mean, and if the Boss tried that on me, I'd make his driving seat very, very unpleasant.

So check what the boat's rules are. And ask your dog what he thinks. If he's not interested in the cheese, you need a new dog.

PS: I'm always on the lookout for a less sadistic Boss, so if you're offering a trip, I'm your canine.
Sep 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM

The Pont Aven has kennels for dogs, which you can access at all times. On other ferries the dog must stay in the car and you can only visit them at prearranged time, if the weather is good. Bad weather means no visit to the car deck.

If it were me with my two dogs I would take the short crossing and drive. It gives you a chance to exercise your dog and keep it calm, much less stressful. If the crossing is rough or your dog gets upset it could get very messy on the long crossing.

Do get a special collar against ticks and sand flies if you are going to Spain - ask your vet for advice.
Sandflies carry leishmania which can be fatal for dogs, and if chronic can be very nasty for them too. Ehrlichia, Babesiosis, Lyme and heartworm are all common in Spain and France too. Do check with your vet about protecting your dog - don't let him/her shrug these diseases off - they are a real threat, even to a dog on holiday.
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Flanerpooch you are so cute! (I saw your pic) What helpful info. I must say that I saw lots of dogs in Spain at least in Madrid. Big, small....all sorts.

I sure wish I could take by "kids" with me there from L.A.
Sep 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM

i have seen this question...is it the same person?...posted on several forums and not once has there ever been an acknowledgement that they have read the reply..some folks are so rude, even if they are pet owners.
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

wow! flannerpooch what a heartfelt reply and extremely informative too!!
our two middle aged girls sat patiently while i read it out loud to mrs w. and they are clearly excited by the whole idea. we are pretty much decided to take the tunnel and drive through france via bordeaux/biarritz etc.
we are also thinking about taking them to the doggy parlour for a short trim before the off...any thoughts flannerpooch??
thanks hetismij you definitely tipped the balance.
please accept my deepest apologies for offending you ha20000, it was not my intention!!
there is a good reason for my lack of replies to the generous offers of advice but i am afraid it is personal.
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Glad to hear back from you walnut whip. A sensible decision I think. Don't forget to check with your vet about all the nasties in Spain.

Do they still make walnut whips btw?
Sep 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM

all the nasties in Spain:-.and what are they i ask? the same for all of Europe including holland maybe?
walnut- it is just you post several times but you seem to have the same response go by road. how will you get way from personal answers when we can only speak from personal experience:-now go and reply on the other forums too please.
Sep 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

hi hetismij
yeh! they still sell walnutwhips...you can buy them in most supermarkets in shiny blue wrappers, however, in my opinion, the best are to be found in good old marks and spencers(own brand).
cheers
Sep 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM

ha20000 Whilst Holland has ticks which carry Lyme, we do not have ones (yet) that carry babesoisis, nor do we have sandflies carrying leishmania or ehrilica, nor do we have heartworm here. So no we do not have the same nasties as they do in Spain. Nor do most Northern European countries as it is just too cold for these things to survive here. That doesn't stop dogs from getting infected with them whilst on holiday in Spain,Portugal, Southern France, Greece, Italy etc etc.
Personally I would not take my dogs to these countries (even though one of mine comes from The Canaries) - I have seen what these diseases can do to dogs. The chances of these diseases reaching the Netherlands and other countries is increased by dogs visiting southern Europe. It is one of the reasons the UK insists all dogs be de-flead and de-wormed before (re)entering the UK.

Walnutwhip - I shall look out for them in October. Years since I had one. Yummy.