Taking a baker to Italy

Feb 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Taking a baker to Italy

As part of our daughter's college graduation trip this summer, we will have 3 days in Rome, 3 days in Venice, a day in Florence/Tuscany (I know, I know, not enough time) and a day doing the Amalfi Drive. We'll also have a few days in Greece.

Can any of you lovely Fodorites recommend some AMAZING bakeries in any of these locations? My husband is a baker, from a family of the same, and we always seek out little bakeries everywhere we visit. Since time is short - I thought I'd ask for some guidance here!

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!
Feb 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM

There is an utterly exquisite bakery in Campo Dei Fiori in the center or Rome. It's called Forno Campo Dei Fiori, the link is below. Their foccacia is obscenely delicious, don't be intimidated by the early evening line, the hot foccacia is so good and worth getting olive oil all over your face and hands for! Their little cookies and sweets are also magnificent. The pignoli are my favorites, its an almond flavored cookie with pine nuts on the top, slightly crunchy when you bite into it then super chewy on the inside. Total heaven. If you click on "prodotti" the pignoli cookies are the first photo on the top! So good, definitely take him there!

http://www.fornocampodefiori.com/main.php

FYI: La Carbonara restaurant also in Campo Dei Fiori is super tasty as well. Don't miss the fried artichoke blossoms, delish!
Feb 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM

We stayed in Trastevere, and this bakery was right around the corner from us. We frequented it a LOT!

Forno la Renella is a bakery that is much more than a bakery, and I'd read somewhere that it is the best in Rome. They have a fantastic selection of truly excellent pizzas and sandwiches and lots of good sweets too. Food is priced by the kilo and you can eat there at a long counter or take it out.
Feb 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM

In Venice:

Traditional Venetian and Venetian/Jewish baked goods:

Giovanni Volpe, in the Ghetto, Canareggio 1143

And the old-fashioned:

Pasticceria Fersouch, SS Giovanni e Paolo

Search this Thread