Taking 2 Girls (15 years and 9 YEars) to Paris and Looking for Fun Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris for one week in June and I am looking for "fun" restaurants. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:59 AM

What is your definition of "fun?"
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Are you looking for a theme-style restaurant, or....

Please provide more information.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:02 AM

1 - Hard Rock Cafe Paris

http://www.hardrock.com/locations/ca...s.aspx?Lc=PARI

Easy to access (Metro station Grandes Boulevardes)

2 - Eiffel Tower

A experience they will remember 4 ever

3 - Bateaux Mouches

Idem

--------------

These are the obvious choices. Other readers will post other options.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:11 AM

I've never been here, but have read about Nos Ancetres Les Gaulois on Ile St. Louis. I've always imagined it would appeal to young folks; run a search here and see what info you can find.

I ate at Le Train Bleu at Gare de Lyon last week, and there were lots of families (and doggies!) dining there. I'm not sure it's "fun", but your girls might enjoy a step into the Belle Epoque in Paris. www.le-train-bleu.com
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:17 AM
BDM

It kind of depends on your idea of fun. We are all kind of "foodies).

We always take out daughter (8) to Brasserie Ilse St. Loius which is just over the bridge from the back of Notre Dame. It's a classic Alsatian Brasserie and she finds it fun because of that.

It's a lively place with great basic food, a typically bistro style wine list and a loud vibrant place where the girls can let their hair down. Order platter of chocroute with all the saussages, etc. and watch their eyes light up.

The tables are so close together that it's almost a family style experience. We've always shared our wine with our neighbors and shared theirs in return. Paris' best ice cream (Berthon sp?? I'm sure someone will correct me) is also just around the corner.

We've always found that lively, busy restaurants always hold our daughter's attention the longest. Any of the great bistros in Marais also seem to fit the bill.

Have fun.

Brian
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM

To BDM:
It's Bertillon (read Berti'on). The "e" is opened as in "bed"
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I read about Greek restaurant where you break plates after dinner...can't find it.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM
rex

A visit to Place du Tertre on Montmartre is always a "fun" day, and while you are there, you might have fun (as our "family" did - - 11 teenagers and two adults, a few years ago) in La Butte en Vigne.

http://www.buttenvigne.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Take them to a greek restaurant. We (2 kids & parents) went to one- think it was around Rue St Michel. It was tiny but had the food displayed in the front window. The guy out front spoke english & kept encouraging us to come in. While we were eating the waiters would dance & the "break" plates on someone's head & throw the pieces on the floor. It was a hoot!

They had the biggest shrimp I had ever seen on the skewer that we got.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Hi charlieg,

My children 11 and 14 love the shopping stalls on the left bank just across from Notre Dame. We ate in the Greek restaurant near there but for some reason all the plates were already broken.
As far as eating they love the restaurants along Champs Elysees (especailly at night) where the seats all face the street theatre style or in the 6th by the famous cafes.

==Mike
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Grandmere mentioned Nos Ancetres Les Gaulois on Ile St. Louis - I've been there and it was quite fun. All tourists and a fixed price menu. When you sit down, they bring a big basket full of fresh vegetables and hardboiled eggs (probably other stuff too) to the table as an appetizer. You had a sharp knife so you could whack off a piece of carrot or whatever. It was kind of funny because they just moved the basket from table to table as needed. If I remember correctly, we had the vegetables, then a sausage and I think olive course (a table you went to with sausages and you cut what you wanted). Then a meat course. Then a cheese course and ended with a dessert and coffee. They had barrels of wine and you refilled your pitcher as much as you wanted. I thought it was really fun, there were strolling singers, the waitstaff were nice and helpful. My friends and I enjoyed it. There were mostly tourists but we met people from several different countries and that was interesting. I'm sure you'll find all sorts of fun places on your own.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM

The Blue Elephant, for Thai food near Bastille is quite lovely -- jungle like plants and orchids all around. While shopping at Printemps, (I think it's in Printemps? Not Galleries Lafayette? )there is the lovely domed "brasserie" which is fun for lunch. (It's not pricey at all, just a very busy lunch restaurant, and the story of how the stained glass dome was saved during WWII is pretty cool.) A fancy dinner place -- Julian is a gorgeously decorated art-deco brasserie...very impressive even to 50-year old little girls. A small, fixed price place on Isle St Louis is Au Sergeant Recruiter, 41 rue St Louis en l"isle, where they bring huge baskets of veggies, sausages, cheeses, etc for the table. In the Marais, one of my favorite places is Les Fous d'en Face at 3, rue du Bourg-Tibourg 75004 (off rue de Rivoli). They have some cool local art on the walls, and when serving families with young children, supply them with crayons and paper. They have many kid's creations posted on the walls, too. It is a very lively, happy place. Dark enough to be romantic for grown-ups, but friendly to younger patrons as well. They even appeared to be happy to simplify a menu choice for a picky little Parisian boy we noticed last year! OH, and a new find for us, from last year. We'd taken a Paris Walks tour of Montmartre that ended at Sacre Couer. We took the funicular down, and turned right to walk up the street, looking for someplace for lunch. A couple of blocks up, and across the street (sorry, I don't have the exact address) was a bar called Le Progres, that had a nice fixed price lunch special advertised on the board out front, and seemed to be filled with happy people. It is really cute, lots of wines by the glass and beers...but this was lunch time. We sat near a little window into the kitchen, where the wait staff picked up the orders, and saw all kinds of yummy plates being passed through that little window. We had a terrific mixed greens salad with grilled chicken and many veggies, along with bread and a carafe of wine for 10 euros each. It was delicious. (I'm assuming you wouldn't be any more uncomfortable in a spot like that than in a TGIFriday's in the states. It certainly was more interesting!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:11 AM

One idea would be to try one of the many Breton creperies around Montparnasse (there are scores of them on rue d'Odessa and rue du Montparnasse). My favourite is Creperie Josselin on rue du Montparnasse, which serves double buckwheat "galettes" (savoury crepes) with all sorts of fillings. You can watch them being prepared. The decor is old-fashioned, dark wood. Although you can't book and it's always busy, and it's definitely worth waiting for a table. Inexpensive too.

I agree with uhoh that Le Progres is a nice place, but in the evenings it's really just a bar - I know because I used to meet friends there regularly for drinks! Also, I'm not sure that they serve food in the evenings.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Forgot to mention that Le Progres is on the corner of rue Yvonne le Tac, the road that takes you from the Abbesses metro to the Sacré Coeur.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Here's a truly incredibly stupid post:
Isn't there a small bistro that has doll/miniature furniture put on the walls? Someone surely knows what I "mean" and cannot "say"
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:19 AM

For something they might not find easily in the USA, take them to La Cigale in the 6me. Apart from a few appetizers and salads, all it serves is soufflés - savory ones for the maina course and then sweet ones for dessert.

They also might enjoy the Flunch cafeterias - certainly not fine dining, but different enough from an American cafeteria to be fun for young girls.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:10 AM

I found it !!!

Message: Les Argonautes, 12 Rue de Huchette in Quartier Latin, is a fun Greek restaurant. The food is typically good and varied, and your teenagers will have fun breaking plates and dancing on the tables after dinner a-la-Greek style. Metro stop is St. Michel. They have a prix-fixe menu or you can order a-la-carte. Reasonably priced and loads of fun.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Ziana, that's the restaurant I was trying to remember the name of! It was lots of fun.

Also, my daughter loved the banana ice cream that we got from a vendor near our hotel (Hotel Lyon Mulhouse). While in Paris have your girls try any flavor. It is creamier than ice cream here. We have been trying to find banana ice cream in the US & Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey is all we can find. Also the eclairs are wonderful. I must have gained tons eating them for breakfast.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM

So, benj, tell me what to order, please.
I am not big fan of Greek food but Greek fun, I am taking 2 kids 8,9 and 4 adults. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -