Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Take a tour to Auschwitz, or go on own??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my trip to Krakow, I want to go visit the Auschwitz concentration camp. Do you suggest taking a prepared tour of Auschwitz, which takes you from the city of Krakow to the camp (such as the Auschwitz tour seen at www.krakow-tours.pl), or traveling to Oswiecim by train/bus on your own, and taking a tour that they provide there?
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We drove there on our own, toured on our own. Weren't disappointed at all. I suppose a tour might be helpful if someone had little or no knowledge of Auschwitz, but at 60+, we do. There's an ex-barracks for each country's holocaust, chock-filled with displays, signage, and nazi documentation. We probably spent 3+ hours just walking from building to building, then went to Birkenau for 1/2 hour (little signage there, but it's immense.. maybe 10X the size of Auschwitz). Personally, I think we got 97% of the Auschwitz experience, and don't think the incremental 3% to be had with a guide would have been worth the cost.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:38 AM

I returned a week ago from Krakow and toured Auschwitz, we hired a taxi to take us there and then joined a tour, which included Birkenau as well. I don't I would have understood about the history of the camp when it was a camp for political prisoners without the tour, the taxi took us to Birkenau and we rejoined the same English speaking guide there. But afterwards we went to the salt mines, using the services of the taxi the cost for two of us 150 Polish Zloty for the day. In pounds sterling £30 if my conversion rate is correct. My summing up, get to Oswiecim and take a guided tour of the sites. If you choose a taxi make sure you agree what you are paying for, we paid for the driver's lunch,we were not told about this and it was just added to our bill. By the way we ate in a very nice cafe just across from the entrance to the Salt Mine (well worth a visit)plenty of walking and walking downstairs, there is a lift at the end to return you to the surface.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I agree that you should consider joining a tour. Mine was arranged through my hotel. They all seem to have excellent English speaking guides and the tour is definitely worth the price.

I'm not sure how tomboy knows that he got 97% of the "Auschwitz experience" (a rather repulsive term, all things considered).

Patricia
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM

my experience parallels tomboy's - i don't know what % of got of the Auschwitz experience but i got more of an impression about the sobering aspect of this place by being on my own with my own thoughts - i appreciated confronting Auschwitz-Birkenau on my own - there are many many exhibits with explanatory displays - in fact on tours i saw there tour members had little time to peruse these things on their own before the tour moved on.

Tours a great for those who want them but here i advise comfronting these horrors on your own - buy the guidebook at the entrance or bring your own and then just ponder all the horrific stuff that went on here.

I walked to Auschwitz from train station and then walked over to Birkenau and back to station - this let me see a real Polish town - not the tourist towns like Krakow but a tattered Polish town - another plus than being wisked to the camps in a bus.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
kja

When I visited Auschwitz and Birkenau, I did it with an organized tour from Krakow, and I was glad that I did. I don't usually enjoy group tours, but the one I went on was very well done - I never felt rushed at all. I found the experience very powerful, and appreciated being free to focus on my thoughts and feelings afterwards, instead of trying to negotiate public transportation. Hope that helps!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Tours from Krakow can certainly economize on slow public transport options and is a good reason to take one.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

another vote for an organised tour -- the one I took last year (see trip report under Poland) was excellent.