Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taillevent is booked! Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taillevent-is-booked-help-150726/)

mjc Jan 29th, 2002 06:35 PM

Taillevent is booked! Help!

My travel partner and I wanted to have dinner at "The best in Paris" and were told Taillevent. However, we can not get a dinner reservation for any of our 6 nights in Paris. Any suggesstions for the next best thing? I love Les Ambassadeurs. Thanks for all input!

maria Jan 29th, 2002 06:52 PM

The same thing happened to us a couple of years ago and we had lunch instead. It was quite an experience. I don't know if the "ambiance" is different at night but I know at lunch we had a great time, service and food were superb! If the only way to try it was lunch, I would do it again!

John Jan 29th, 2002 08:50 PM

I would suggest checking a Michelin guide. There are several three stars in Paris, and any three star experience is sublime, especially in Paris.

Lori Jan 30th, 2002 05:28 AM

there are plenty of 3 star restaurants in paris. Le Grand Vefour (a favorite), Arpege, Alain Ducasse, Lucas Carton, Ledoyen, Laurent (one of these two is 'only' 2 stars) are some that come to mind. By the way, my research said that Taillevent is not all that great, they sit the tourists in a separate room from the rest and the service can be rude. So maybe not such a great loss for you.

elaine Jan 30th, 2002 06:14 AM

Too bad about Taillevent for dinner, it is glorious, but as recommended you could try it for lunch.<BR>Ledoyen is gorgeous and I haven't been there for a few years but the food was gorgeous too. I went to Laurent<BR>a couple of years ago and it was very pretty but I found the service a bit lacking and the food very good but not particularly memorable.<BR>Le Grand Vefour is perfect as far I'm concerned.

jean Jan 30th, 2002 06:15 AM

We were in Paris 2 years ago in january. It was a last minute trip so do dinner reservations were made ahead of time. We were staying close to Tallivent and wanted to have dinner there, so late in the afternoon I called and they had had a cancellation - we were in. We sat at a beautiful table next to some very important guest and the food and service were wonderful. If I were you I would go ahead and make a luncheon reservation and if you really want dinner check on the day of and see if someone has had to cancel. Enjoy!

ilene Jan 30th, 2002 07:55 AM

Ask the concierge at your hotel. Call now (before you go) or email. Often times tables appear out of no where!

Carol Jan 30th, 2002 08:04 AM

Cancelations happen often, we dined at Taillevent and TourD'Agent because of them. Good luck.

Lori Jan 30th, 2002 02:40 PM

Unless you have your heart set on Taillevent, I'd try a reservation at Pierre Gagnaire. The loudest raves are about his restaurant. Also, you may want to check out www.chowhound.com and their international board. Lots of up-to-date reviews on most of the Paris big-boys.