Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sympathies & empathy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sympathies-and-empathy-1090652/)

otherchelebi Mar 22nd, 2016 03:15 AM

Sympathies & empathy

All who live in Belgium, those traveling in Belgium and those who are planning to visit Belgium, my heart and thoughts are with you.

It is unfortunate that we are reuired to face these disasters, the miserable,unthinking, unfeeling cretin who ignorantly, irrationally and obediently kill our dreams, our joy and pursuit of happiness.

In a way, it is up to us all.

The total amount of hate in the World seems to have reached a critical mass. More hate as a result of hate will probably make matters worse. This is an issue we should all consider as voters at the next elections.

What is the solution? More NGOs concerned with peace and life and joy, better education, better outreach, more interest and involvement in previously uncared parts of the global scene come to mind.

Pure police action and government violence will not help as far as I can tell, in the long run.

My best wishes for good luck, good traveling and utmost safety for your future.

Any other ideas on how to combat terrorism without mentioning, religion, race, language is welcome on this thread.

Otherchelebi/OtherAll

nytraveler Mar 22nd, 2016 04:38 AM

Unfortunately, while one can sympathize with people who feel oppressed their committing mass murder is simply terrorism pure and simple. And must be regarded and punished as such. Whatever it takes to identify and stop these people is imperative. And those who support these actions do not deserve our sympathy.

While there are areas of the world where many people are suffering unnecessarily (but usually at the hands of their own people) and it behoves us to find political solutions to these problems - that does not preclude us doing whatever is required to protect our own innocent civilians.

And ignoring the issues that are causing this terrorism (radical religious hatred) serves no purpose - it's just sticking your head in the sand. Agree not to punish people of any specific religion in general - but to identify and eliminate those radicals who advocate mass murder.

thursdaysd Mar 22nd, 2016 05:15 AM

My deep sympathy to the people impacted directly by this terrorism, and to the people of Europe in general.

I have been saying for years that the TSA security theater is just that, theater. The real defense is intelligence work, and a smart terrorist would simply blow up the people in line instead of an aircraft. It gives me no pleasure at all to be right. Nor do I expect TSA "security" to lessen, more likely the opposite.

sandralist Mar 22nd, 2016 05:25 AM

Nytraveler,

Take your half-baked views elsewhere, would you? You vote for mass murderers and those who advocate it as a matter of routine. Sticking your hand in the sand would be an improvement over the view you've got now where your head is presently shoved.

The real "defense" work is peace, as already stated (rather eloquently).

Whathello Mar 22nd, 2016 05:53 AM

Very good post indeed Other. Thanks.

History has told us what is needed to achieve peace : settlement of long wrongs, education and well being. Violence and retaliation are not what brought piece in Ireland or anywhere else as far as I know...

You said it better than me, and when we see who are the terorists, we cannot reconcile them with whatever cause : people like Abdeslam has never read a word from the Koran. Nor had the half alcoholic/drug addict girl who got shot in Aubervilliers. They are just thugs who found a job, not a cause.

Lois2 Mar 22nd, 2016 06:03 AM

Yes thugs is what they are but way too many being allowed to return from training and radicalization.

Lois2 Mar 22nd, 2016 06:06 AM

And so simple guy drives thug up to door thug gets out with a suitcase just like millions of other. Travelers and gos in and blows the place up..meantime driver is half way back to the city.

IMDonehere Mar 22nd, 2016 06:33 AM

In response to a friend's fear, I wrote the following today:

I was three blocks from the Trade Center on 9/11 and saw the second tower hit. I breathed the remains of other humans until November.

One restaurant in Pamplona, Spain was bombed a few weeks after we ate there. Famous Goldenberg;s restaurant in the Marais in Paris was machined gunned a few weeks after our visit there. Aldo Moro was killed just before one pf our trips to Italy. London Tower was bombed just before a trip to London and the night before a trip to Guatemala the State Department issued a warning not to go, because the military spread a rumor that American and European women were stealing children for body parts. Ironically we visited Brussels two years ago and stayed in an area filled with immigrants and across a river from the hotbed of terrorism. It was calm then without a hint of future trouble,

Besides people not wanting to travel with us, all these events have steeled my resolve not to be intimidated by terrorists. That is the point of terrorism, random fear and anxiety which leads to irrational decisions. I cannot think of worse way to live your life then in consistent fear of what may or may not happen.

I am careful and weary. Yes. Do I got apprehensive when I see a low flying plane over Manhattan or the perfect blue sky of 9/11. Yes. And we ant to visit friends in Cairo but will not do so because of the turmoil.

But I try to make sure it does not interfere with my life and I try to be strong for those who are not.

Fra_Diavolo Mar 22nd, 2016 06:40 AM

Excellent post, OC. While the problems driving the violence seem intractable in the short term, I do think they will yield to education, diplomacy and of course improved economies -- it is probably too much to hope for prosperity so quickly.

Thoughts and sympathies to the people of Brussels and all others affected by the tragedy.

Patricia_KelleyEarp Mar 22nd, 2016 06:52 AM

Thank you op
I shared your post

bilboburgler Mar 22nd, 2016 07:02 AM

thanks other, you put it well

justineparis Mar 22nd, 2016 07:44 AM

Thank you for your thoughts Other.. I agree with you.

Glad to here from our Belgian friend here too!

MmePerdu Mar 22nd, 2016 08:24 AM

"Take your half-baked views elsewhere, would you? ... Sticking your hand in the sand would be an improvement over the view you've got now where your head is presently shoved. The real "defense" work is peace..."

Oh, the irony.

immimi Mar 22nd, 2016 08:47 AM

Once again OC is a much-needed and hopefully heeded Voice of Reason.
Thank you.

kovsie Mar 22nd, 2016 09:03 AM

And tonight it is the colours of the flag of Belgium that will cover the Eiffel Tower. How very sad and truly horrible this is.

nanabee Mar 22nd, 2016 10:42 AM

That is so thoughtful of you other chelelbi. I also feel bad about the horrific murders from terrorists in Turkey on 3/19.

annhig Mar 22nd, 2016 10:47 AM

The total amount of hate in the World seems to have reached a critical mass. More hate as a result of hate will probably make matters worse. This is an issue we should all consider as voters at the next elections.

What is the solution? More NGOs concerned with peace and life and joy, better education, better outreach, more interest and involvement in previously uncared parts of the global scene come to mind.>>

thank you OC for expressing so eloquently what many of us are feeling.

raincitygirl Mar 22nd, 2016 11:10 AM

Beautifully said otherchelebi. I agree more hate is not the answer.
Is there not a way to seize/ freeze Isis' money and cut off their internet access to make it more difficult for them?

annhig Mar 22nd, 2016 11:22 AM

Is there not a way to seize/ freeze Isis' money and cut off their internet access to make it more difficult for them?>>

actually the drop in oil prices may do more than almost anything else to dry up their funds.

raincitygirl Mar 22nd, 2016 12:11 PM

Good point Ann, but surely if they have money in banks or other places and it can be identified as being theirs it could be seized.