Reload this Page >

switzerland with 5 yr old/sept/13 days possible/many q's

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

We are going to take a trip to Switzerland from Sept 16th -30th. I have a 5 yr old who has food allergies( nuts specifically). Kid loves travelling in trains and buses.

I need helping plan our trip. We dont know what we want ,but we are sure of what we dont want.

1.) No clubbing/shopping/ castles
2.) dont need hostels full of students
3.) Not much hikking and trekking ( any options instead of those would be welcome to get to the same places)
4.) No skiing but can visit those places for the higher elevation beauty.

What we want
1.) scenic places, including lakes and possibly high elevations. If possible some kid places that are not very common to the us.( Mickey mouse in orlando is 40 min drive from our house).
2.) Cruises
3.) Very scenic train journeys.
4.) Comfy clean hotels or B&B's or small apartments.( would like to make it inexpensive if possible....not cheap mind you....)
5.) Possibly combine another county like germany or italy if possible. ( Think from a perspective of travelling with a 5 yr old with a mind of his own).
6.) Would cover the touristy places...but would also not mind doing quaint little places outside the touristy areas.

Here's how you can help.

1.) Tell us how to pack in terms of clothing for the weather( i am also looking up rick steves)
2.) suggest an itinerary ( flying from orlando to either munich/fraknfurt/geneva/zurich) so far seen deals of 850-883 $ R/T to geneva and Zurich from Orlando.
3.) Food---suggest options to buy from supermarkets. we dont drink alcohol and No salads please. Are vegetarians but do eat eggs/cheese and milk products.
Can survive on Pizza, sandwiches, can assemble our own meals from locally sourced ingredients if it is an option.
4.) central places to stay so that if region has bad weather....can head out in opposite direction for day trips.
5.) what kind of rail passes to buy if combining germany and switzerland.....or switz and italy. If you think only switzerland is possible...what kind of swiss pass to buy and where?
6.) what kind of medical insurance is a good one for our trip since it is also needed for the schengen visa? we are healthy individuals and just need more for the visa and the kid.
7.) Should we stay near train stations and pay more ( which seems more applicable in our case with the kid) or stay a little in town and use the bus system to get to the train.
8.) how much can we cover in each day.....we are early risers and look to extend our day as much as possible.
9.) How much money to carry per day including food and travel? Get the money here in the US already converted to CHF or just get it in the ATM's there and pay the exchange fees and transaction charges?

we will take any ideas expressed here and make an amalgamation of them for our trip.

Thanks a ton.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM

5.) what kind of rail passes to buy if combining germany and switzerland.....or switz and italy. If you think only switzerland is possible...what kind of swiss pass to buy and where?>

Well a Swiss Pass for your previsioned Swiss journey is to me a no-brainer - especially since the 5yr old gets a free pass under the free Family Pass aspect that when adults buy a pass any kid under 16 gets a free pass. Now it depends on how much you will be training in Italy and Germany - if substantial then you may look at the Eurail Select Pass - for three countries - Swiss, Germany and Italy - but it is way more expensive than a Swiss Pass and in Switzerland does not give nearly as much coverage as Swiss Passes do (Swiss Passes cover all trains - Eurail does not - Swiss Passes cover all transit in cities and lake boats and postal buses - Eurail covers only a few lake boats, etc.

If you buy a Swiss Pass then you may find it cheaper than a Eurail Select Pass just to buy regular point to point tickets in Italy and Germany - and in Germany you can get some deep discounted tickets online at www.bahn.de - if you book far enough in advance - say for 29 or 39 euros regardless of the distance.

But if you give us an idea of what kind of rail travel in Germany and Italy you are doing i could better take a look at the Eurail Select Saverpass' efficacy.

In any case for loads of info on Swiss trains and passes i always spotlight these great info-laden sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com - this has links to the fabled scenic train routes like the Golden Pass, Bernina Express, Glacier Express and the sbb.ch or Swiss Federal Railways where you can compare regular train tickets to the pass and get itineraries, etc.; and www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's European Planning and Rail Guide's excellent IMO chapter on Switzerland by train.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:56 AM

I can start with a few answers.

For train ideas, see the thread "Scenic Swiss Trains in a Nutshell."

As you live near Orlando, I assume you have US passports. If that is the case, you will not be required to show proof of insurance for a two-week trip. It is a good idea to know what you do have for cover and decide if you want a supplement.

The food in Switzerland is of very high quality and there are many vegetarian options--fondue and raclette are fun shared dishes.

I'd pack a few sweaters and a jacket.

There are cruises on all the major lakes--your son might like the small castle of Chillon which is on the shore of Lac Leman/Geneva--the prisoner of Chillon was made famous in a poem by one of the romantic poets, can't remember which. It's a stop on the lake ships. You might like Gruyere with its cheese and chocolate factories nearby.

Lugano, while still in switzerland, has a very Italian feel--it's also on a very lovely lake.

The bus/train schedules are sychronized and are rarely late --no need to stay near the station although obviously convenient to do so.

Just a few suggestions.

Use the Search on here for more info and I hope Swiss Fodorites answer as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM

If you are US citizens, a visa is not necessary for entry and stays less than 90 days in CH.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

@Palenq-- We will either go to germany or italy. and that our mail goal is to try to cover as much as possible of switz. So while our start and end may happen in frankfurt or munich....we dont envision spending more than 2-3 days in the second country which probably is german rather than italy. so any help is appreciated.

we are non-us citizens and require visas...hence the need for medical ins since our your us carriers will not cover our visit there.

@cathinjoetown...you mentioned about shared dishes.....does it mean the portions are for more than one person?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Usually cheese fondue is served in a large pot for all to share--different restaurants price it different ways but if I remember, it's usually for two or more people, less for a child as a third sharer. There are many variations.

Raclette is tradionally melted cheese served with a basket of boiled potatoes, pickled onions and cornichons. Sounds so-so but can be quite good. Sometimes it's one price for all you can eat or it's priced by how many portions of cheese you have--the cheese is served bubbling hot or there's a raclette grill placed on your table.

As you need insurance, just shop around for the travel cover which meets the visa requirements and your needs. With your good health and youth, I would think/hope it would be reasonable.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM

So while our start and end may happen in frankfurt or munich....we dont envision spending more than 2-3 days in the second country which probably is german rather than italy. so any help is appreciated.>

Well then by all means just look at the Swiss Pass and just pay for regular tickets for the German and or Italian portion. From Frankfurt or Munich you could do the PREM fares at bahn.de if you book far in advance and save a lot of money over full fare, which is really expensive - so you can save a ton by booking those ahead instead of just showing up at the station and buying - but they are non-refundable non-changeable so be sure of your travel times and dates.

What country are you from? Everyone is eligible to use a Swiss Pass but not so for a Eurail Select Pass, which i do not think is useful to you. Just curious as to your country. Thanks
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Hi borivlikar1,

Unlike PalenQ, I don't use any kind of pass and don't assume that they would be the best option for my travels. Since 1995, I've been saving money with the Half Fare Card, which costs 99 chf and gives you half off practically everything that moves for one month.

But I think I'm a different kind of traveller than you and PalenQ. I like to stay put in one place for a week and take short trips to nearby areas; I prefer to walk or cycle to see things.

I would suggest that you nail down your itinerary and your likely trips, then get all the fares for your travels from the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

Then compare the sum to the various passes and discount cards.

You can get some ideas for itineraries at the central Swiss tourism site

www.myswitzerland.com

Have fun planning!

s
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

@palenq....we are indian by nationality/citizenship currently living in the us. i will certainly look into the prem fares. I havent nailed down the airfares yet and hence i am vacillating. Plus from all accounts most people are suggesting with the kid...6 days for switzerland would be sufficient. I am thinking of basing in or near interlaken ost and making day trips from there everywhere. is that a good idea?

@Swandav....not sure what the half fare card is.but will look into it. we are people who will stay put at a particular place if we especially love it no matter what the cost. Ofcourse we still try to stick to our original schedule but not at the sacrifice of what we absolutely love.

I am trying to check for fares fromm orlando to....either munich/frankfurt/zurich/geneva/rome. Hoping we will get a good deal in some airline. Lets see what happens but looks like i will have to do it sooner than later otherwise everything else will become more expensive.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

Finally know more so that you can help with the itinerary.

flying into frankfurt on the 16th morning and leaving from zurich at 11 am on 26th of sept.

Can devote 2 to tops 3 days to germany( frankfurt and anything else you might have ideas on) and the rest of the time is for switzerland. Please suggest 2 good base hommetowns in switzerland to cover whatever we can in about a weeks time.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM

From Frankfurt you could go to the nearby Rhine Gorge - the fabled Lorelei, etc. and hop K-D boats that do a few hour cruises several times a day - base in a dreamy riverside resort village and lap up the scenery whilst recovering from jet-lag - then head to Zurich or Basel for your Switzerland jaunt. Cute towns like St Goar, Rudesheim, St Goarhausen are about an hour or so from the airport by train or airport transfers.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:18 AM

borivlikar1,

I recommend that you head to the hills in Switzerland -- maybe the Berner Oberland villages of Wengen or Mürren, from which you can see Lakes Thun or Brienz. Or you could head to the Engadin Valley and to such towns as Sils or Silvaplana or Pontresina. These will give you high peaks and lakes.

Your second base can be either Luzern or Zürich. Luzern is only an hour from the airport by direct train, so it's a possible last stop. Luzern has mountains and lakes, so it's a big draw.

More information for these places at:

www.myjungfrau.ch
www.luzern.org
www.lakelucerne.ch
www.engadin.stmoritz.ch

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Ditto to the Berner Oberland (Jungfrau Region) being great - to me the essence of the picture of Switzerland etched in our minds' eyes - towering glacier-girdled peaks - impossibly steep mountain climbing trains, aerial gondolas - all that a 5 year old will be very awed by - plus lake steamers to ride on the lakes swandav2000 mentions - the lakes the bookend Interlaken ("between the lakes") - Interlaken is a manageable enough puz by train from the Frankfurt area and one there you can change to mountain-climbing trains to dream bases like Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

@ swandav and palenq....thanks for the uggestions.

So you suggest heading from frankfurt directly to interlaken...and then to lucerne? what kind of rail tickets would be good considering frankfurt to interlaken? and then would a swiss flexipass with family card included be the safest choice?...If yes where should i buy it...in the US or switzerland?

any specific recommendations to stay? like any particular b and b's or small studio apartments. really looking for views more than an elaborate place. Would it be an idea to stay in Lauterbrunnen perhaps. Definitely a coop closeby since we may end up self catering.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Hi again,

I live south of München in Germany and travel often to Switzerland. I can tell you that the cheapest way to get between the two countries is to get one of the "Switzerland Savings" fares from the German rail site

www.bahn.de

For instance, I am going to Scuol in first class for 60e (second class was 40e). Last year, I went to Basel for about 30 e.

For your Switzerland travel, I suggest again that you do the math. Get the fares for all your trips and excursions, add them up, then compare to the various passes and discount cards. When I used to do this, I had to do a spreadsheet to keep track of all the possible combinations and options. The answer for my own trips always came to the Half Fare Card, as I said above, so I just skip the math these days.

Yes, you can buy the pass in Switzerland.

I personally don't like Lauterbrunnen much because it sits at the base of some cliffs that overhand the town. It just looks depressing to me and makes me feel claustrophobic. So, before you decide on that for your base, take a look at some photos to see if you have the same reaction that I do -- you can rummage around google's "images" search pages.

Also, Lauterbrunnen sits at a relatively low altitude, 796m. Wengen is at 1274m, and Muerren is 1650m. I personally like Wengen for the best combination of quiet, altitude, and convenience.

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM

So you suggest heading from frankfurt directly to interlaken...and then to lucerne? what kind of rail tickets would be good considering frankfurt to interlaken? and then would a swiss flexipass with family card included be the safest choice?...If yes where should i buy it...in the US or switzerland?>

I would spend a day to recover in the Frankfurt area - the train ride to Zurich or Basel is rather scenic and no fun if you are wiped out after the flight - plus you can score an online discount on the German Rail site www.bahn.de for the next day - that will take you to Basel or Zurich - if you do that type of fare when you arrive you have to put in a lot of fudge time in case the plane is late since those cheap tickets are non-changeable nor refundable i believe and then you'd have to buy a full fare ticket - ouch - but by doing it the next day you will know exactly when you could board the train, etc.
Swiss Passes are sold at Swiss train stations and by RailEurope (part owned by the Swiss Railways) and their agents in the U.S. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy them there and sometimes here - in fact for much of the past several years it was cheaper here but recently they seem to be about the same - but RailEurope also just lowered their Swiss Pass prices so i would compare - don't forget to add on credit card charges of usually 3% for foreign purchases, etc. Half-Fare Cards are only sold in Switzerland and you really have to do some calculations to know if they are better than the pass - many people report using the pass more than they though - IMO a consecutive-day pass, if it comports to your time in Switzerland - is often the most cost-effective and you also never have to wait in line as you must always to buy a ticket with the Half-Fare Card. If going to one place and not leaving the area or doing day trips from it then the Half-Fare Card can be the best.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM

Hi again,

Small correction. Half Fare Cards are NOT only sold in Switzerland. You can buy them online at the site PalQ gave you above,

www.swisstravelsystem.com

They will mail it to you.

Another note -- it takes about 30 seconds to buy train tickets as I usually use the ticket machines.

s
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM

I would second the Berner Oberland as a base for at least part of the time. The scenery is fabulous and your child will have plenty of different transportaion options to love. The train up to Jungfraujoch is great, the Murren/Stechelberg gondola and there is a different gondola up to Schilthorn. I also think there is a funicular or cogwheel railway somewhere up there--perhaps also in Murren. The hikes/walks are lovely and there are some easier options that your child could handle.

We used Interlaken as a base since we did some lake cruises (you have Lake Thun or Lake Brienz to choose from--both are beautiful) and day trips (Bern, Thun/Spiez, Jungfrau, Harder Kulm, Grindelwald). However, Interlaken itself is not very picturesque but it is fine. We stayed in the Lindner Grand Hotel Beau Rivage which is super close to Interlaken Ost. ALso, if your hotel does not have a pool, there is a great public pool in Interlaken right near the Aare. I think they also have a waterslide.

Another option that is high on the scenic beauty scale is the Upper Engadine. We stayed in Pontresina (Hotel Allegra--excellent accommodation and free use of indoor/outdoor pool complex next door). It was convenient to several hiking options, cable car/gondola rides and, of course, the Bernina Express. While we did the B.E. train ride only from Pontresina to Poschiavo, it was truly unforgettable. Photos and video just cannot do it justice. My children (at the time 3 and 6) loved every minute of it.

I think Zurich might be a good place to spend the last few days as it is both convenient to the airport and Luzern is a day trip possibility. One thing that your child might like in Luzern is the Transportaion Museum (sorry I do not have the translated name handy)--we unfortunately did not get to see it in 2005 since the floods had closed several things in Luzern. But it looks great from the information we saw.

Also-- lake cruises or pedal boats in Zurich, the Zurich Zoo, walking along the park on the eastern shore of Lake Zurich. There is also a waterpark in the suburbs of Zurich--it may still be open in September. Uetliberg might be nice although we have not done that.

We travelled in late August/early Sept. (twice) and both times there were very few crowds so I think that you will find it pleasantly "uncrowded".
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM

Small correction. Half Fare Cards are NOT only sold in Switzerland. You can buy them online at the site PalQ gave you above,>

by only in Switzerland i should have said they are not sold abroad like Swiss Passes are in the U.S. and at times may be cheaper here than there or there than here. Half-Fare Cards are only sold by the Swiss Railways either in Switzerland or online thru the Swiss Railways site - www.sbb.ch - no reason shopping for for the best price as always sold in Swiss francs. I see no reason to buy one online as if for some reason you trip plans change due to unsuspected circumstances - like some volcano blowing its top - then you have to get a refund, if possible - i do not know even if it is - i would expect at least some cancelling fee. Just buy the Half-Fare Card upon arrival.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:29 PM

I see your point, PalenQ. But where I lived in the US, I couldn't just walk into a place and buy a Swiss Pass. I would have had to order it online at Rick Steves or Raileurope or some place like that.

So it seems immaterial to me if I am ordering something online from Steves or from the swisstravelsystem.com site.

Yes, it's true that it's always better when there are many vendors and you can look for the best price. Hopefully in the future, the SBB will release the HFC for sale elsewhere. No idea why they don't!

s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -