Switzerland vs Austria

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Adilehg

Switzerland vs Austria

my wife & i are looking for the ultimate experience in the alps! which country offers the best scenery and hiking? we are not skiers, looking for peace & quiet, friendly people and good value. which country would you recommend? preferably we would like to stay in a small town away from it all. please feel free to email me. thanx!

Nov 7th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Sue

The town of Briancon in the Serre Chevalier valley in the southern French Alpes is a wonderful place. My family(adult children, son-in-law, my husband, and I) spent a week there in 3/00. It is a traditional town, with an old medieval section; very different from the purpose-built ski resorts in other areas. My husband and I don't ski, but we had a very interesting and restful week; rented a car and did some short day trips; met the kids on slopes for lunch,etc. It is not a well-known area to most Americans and therefore, un-touristy. Folks were very friendly; we stayed at a charming family-owned small 2* hotel called Auberge du Mont Prorel. Would return in a minute! You can fly into Lyon, Grenoble, or Milan, which we did and had arranged for private car to pick us up.

Nov 7th, 2001, 11:05 PM
BTilke

My favorite place that meets your requirements is Seckau, Austria, a lovely small town with just one hotel, but it's a winner--the Hofwirt Haus (www.hofwirt.at). Very nice rooms, great food, and the town is truly peaceful and in the middle of some great non-skiing (except cross country) countryside. But it's located more in Alpine foothills rather than high up in the Alps. You don't say when you're planning to go--summer, I'm assuming. We were there for a week this past August and the weather was fantastic--warm and sunny every day.

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It all depends on when, how long, budget range, and car or trains. The Berner Oberland is hard to beat, but a combo of the Austrian Lakes, Bavaria, and the Val Gardena in Italy is a great itinerary and all close together. Start with the big criteria and the rest will follow.

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It all depends on when, how long, budget range, and car or trains. The Berner Oberland is hard to beat, but a combo of the Austrian Lakes, Bavaria, and the Val Gardena in Italy is a great itinerary and all close together. Start with the big criteria and the rest will follow.

Nov 8th, 2001, 11:34 AM
zz top

zz top