Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland Travelers - Swiss Mountain Weekend

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Hello Switzerland lovers. I've got a train pass and 3 days off next weekend. I'd like to head somewhere beautiful that I've not seen before. I'll be solo and I want to see some beautiful scenery, get some sunshine, and take a couple nice winter hikes as well as enjoy some nice food and perhaps lounging by a fire with a book. I won't be skiing and don't like precipitous cable cars if I can avoid them.

I want to go someplace I've not been before. Already have been to Pontresina/St. Moritz, Wengen/Grindelwald, Zermatt.

I'm thinking maybe some place French?

I would appreciate any suggestions for areas and lodgings you've enjoyed.

Many thanks as always.

gruezi
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Think Lugano might be fun?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Have you looked at a 10 day weather forecast? I haven't, but boy has it been stormy this year.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Personally, I would head to Bettmeralp and walk some Winter Wanderwegs:

www.bettmeralp.ch

But you have to ride a cablecar to get there!

If you want to try someplace in Suisse Romande, how about Gstaad? I know it's supposed to be frightfgully expensive, but we loved our stay at the Posthotel Rössli, and it looks like in January they have single rooms starting at CHF 149:

http://www.posthotelroessli.ch/
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi Zeppole - I love Lugano, but I've been and I'm hoping to go someplace new. Thanks for the link.

Hi enzian - how does Gstaad compare to say Wengen for charm/winter hiking?

Do you know Val Anniviers? (I may not be spelling this right.)

I don't like hiking alongside skiers so am hoping for a place that has separate wanderwegs for hiking only.

Thanks so much for responding and esp. for the specific links.

gruezi
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Hi again---unfortunately, Gstaad is nothing like Wengen. It is a town with a small pedestrian-only center (with upscale shops) but it is in the valley, surrounded by hills.

How about Rigi? Rigi Kaltbad is perched partway up the mountain, and you can get there by train from either Vitznau or Arth-Goldau. No need to ride a cable car!

There are Winter Wanderwegs all over the mountain; click on the "Karten und Ortspläne" on this webpage and then choose the winter map to see them:

http://www.rigi.ch/de/welcome.cfm

The views out over the Vierwaldstättersee are gorgeous; even if the lake is covered with clouds as in some of the photos on the website.

We stayed at Hotel Alpina which is right at the train station and cozy in a traditional way; the Bergsonne is nicer.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Look up the train from Martigny (down in the Rhone valley as it turns towards Montreux) via Châtelard-Frontière to Chamonix-Mont Blanc. It's a gem!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Oh, while I think of it - another gem in that region: Also a mountain train, this one goes up from Montreux via Glion and Caux to Rochers de Naye.

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Dear Enzian and DL,

Thanks for your input. I think I need to do a bit more research. Gstaad doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Rigi would be close...I will check out the links.

gruezi
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM

Here are some ideas:
Lenzerheide: Hotel Schweizerhof
Arosa: No hotel ideas but great walks and some great apres ski huts.
Guarda: Hotel Meissner
Sent: I don't know of a hotel with a chimney though. Scuol might fit the bill better.
Bettmeralp: Sounds wonderful. I've been longing to get there myself.
RigiKaltbad: Some great walks around there.
Samnaun: Long trip but they've got some nice wellness hotels and stupendous shopping.

Have fun choosing!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Dear Schuler,

Thanks for all these suggestions!

How are you? Wrote you a long note on MissJanes thread a while back.

Hope things are going okay.

gruezi
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Hi Gruezi,

I'm doing OK right now. The weather is fantastic and I really adore walking down to the local cross country trails and doing the 7 km loop.

Would you be interested in going to a Burn's Night in Zürich? A friend and I have signed up for it. Sounds like a real cultural experience.

Here's the website: http://www.englishforum.ch/commercia...niversary.html
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Schuler,

Glad to hear you are doing well!

Oh, I would love that Burn's night - I'm actually just a teeny bit Scottish and a lot Irish in descent.

That is the weekend I'm planning my getaway for, but in case it doesn't work out due to work or something, I will try to come.

Thanks for the link.

I'm still not sure where I'll go for my weekend. I was feeling rather poorly since Friday - turns out to just be a bad cold - but now I'm a bit behing on things and spent today doing Hausfrau stuff not trip planning.

gruezi
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Burns night in Zürich? Will they salute the haggis?
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Yup!

Here's an excerpt from the venue:

"We shall be serving a menu of Scottish broth, main course of Haggis, Neeps & Tatties, plus Desert, with entertainment provided by the Pipes & Drums Zürich.
There will be a selection of Whiskies, Wines, Beer and soft drinks

The Address to a Haggis will again be performed in Swiss German, and of course Scottish."

and

"As a special treat, and by popular demand, the Burns Supper will evolve in to a Ceilidh after 10PM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceilidh
I've managed to find a Scottish Ceilidh band that will be playing from 22:00 until 02:00, so get your kilts out, and bring your dancing shoes."

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM

If you like hiking try this site which has winter as well as summer suggestions.

http://activityworkshop.net/hiking/switzerland/

Have fun!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Dear Sherry,

Thanks for that great link.

I found a picture of my village on the bottom of this page as it includes a hike I often do along the lake:

http://activityworkshop.net/hiking/s...uerichsee.html

gruezi
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM

Not French, but perhaps Engelberg or Kandersteg?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Well, I've got no idea where I'm going. Maybe I should just head back to Wengen or stay in Lauterbrunnen and go to Murren and Gimmelwald this time. I keep looking at websites, but I can't get a "feel" for anything.

Any other opinions?

Looking for a charming alpine village that is not totally for skiers that has pretty winter Wanderwegs, good food, and decent accommodations. Prefer something up high enough that I'll get some sunshine as Zurich has been so, so gray the last few months.

Thanks again...

gruezi
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Gruezi,

It really does sound like Bettmeralp/Riederalp to me. Here is their page on winter walking:

http://www.bettmeralp.ch/e/winter/wandern.html

They are perched on a south-facing bench high above the Rhone valley, on the south side of the main Alp massif. If anyplace has sun, they should.

Another place that hasn't been mentioned yet is Stoos:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/infra.cfm/rkey/497

also car-frree, up high, and laced with Winter Wanderwegs. I don't know if there is much of a village there, though; we've never been.
You do have to go up by cablecar, but it is a big strong secure one, and it isn't that high off the ground. Just look up and not back down into the valley.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

enzian,

You are sweet to post back. I actually loved the photos of Bettmeralp and it does look like I would LOVE it there, but the whole cable car thing scares me... You may have read my thread about my heights issue from Wengen trip report.

If you are saying the cable is not too high (near the treetops) I'd be okay I think. I will be alone which always adds to my "problem" as no one to distract me with talking or holding my sweaty hand. Do you know about how long the cable ride is? 3 minutes - 10 minutes - longer?

Thanks for your help. I know I sound craaaazzzzyyyy... Just think of me as "special needs."

gruezi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO