Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-to-italy-532349/)

kb1962 May 28th, 2005 08:59 AM

Switzerland to Italy

We are currently planning a 2 week trip from Switzerland to Italy in mid to late Oct. and Nov. Although I have been to Italy, Switzerland is new to me and as of right now our itinerary is Bern (2nts), Zermatt (2nts), St. Moritz (3nts). I am open to any and all suggestions and opinions. Thank you!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

swandav2000 May 28th, 2005 11:02 AM

Hi kb1962,

How are you getting around -- rental car or trains?

Because your time frame isn't the best time to see the majestic peaks of Switzerland, I would suggest you either head to warmer parts (Ticino or Vaud) or stick to cities only (I found Luzern to be more scenic than Bern, and I really enjoyed it in Nov).

Also -- if your post has slipped down, just post a reply to it (no need to write anything beyond "to the top" or "ttt" or "toping") and it'll come to the top again. You don't need to post again.

s

kb1962 May 28th, 2005 11:32 AM

We are traveling by train. I appreciate all the info I can get because I know the time of year isn't the best. What other areas do you suggest?

swandav2000 May 29th, 2005 03:32 AM

Hi kb1962,

Well in the Ticino, many people like Lugano or Locarno, and in Vaud I really like Montreux or Vevey -- those places will be warmer than Bern, Zermatt, & St. Moritz but they still won't be really tropical --

However, I'm thinking that you're going to Switzerland mainly to see the mountains, yes? So I don't know if going to Locarno or Montreux will give you what you want.

So I'm going to suggest you stay in some smaller cities near the mountains -- so you can see the snowy peaks and still have some activities to keep you busy & entertained. With that in mind, the cities you've chosen will work very well (except I don't like that 8-hour train trip between Zermatt & St. Moritz). You may only want to substitute Interlaken or Luzern for Bern -- I wasn't really enchanted by Bern though lots of other folks are. And I normally don't recommend Interlaken, but for your time of year, I think it'll be best.

I would also spend more than two nights in each place -- that barely gives you time to unpack! With only seven nights, I would pick two destinations, say Luzern & St Moritz (then go to Italy by Bernina Express) or Luzern & Interlaken or Luzern & Zermatt.

Hope this helps --

s

simpsonc510 May 29th, 2005 06:05 AM

Weather that time of year can be pretty grey in Switzerland. But it can still be very enjoyable. I would second heading to Ticino for one of your stops. We really enjoy Locarno and try to go there each time we get to Switzerland (twice a year). My second choice would be either Lucerne or Interlaken. These destinations will give you plenty to see, places to shop, and good food to eat. They are easy to get to, by train or car, and are all nice sized cities for keeping busy.

We were just in Zermatt for a visit in April and I thought it was very lovely, but for me... personally... not worth more than just one night, if even that. If you are a skier, then you would probably like a longer visit there. I don't know if you could ski in Oct/Nov. Maybe someone else could answer that one. There were a few people skiing in April.

If you are flying into Zurich, then you could easily take the train right to Lucern (about an hour ride). The train is located in the basement of the airport. Very handy!!

Have a great time!

kb1962 May 29th, 2005 09:22 AM

Thank you so much for all the information. I have changed my itinerary to arrive in Zurich which will allow us to see Interlaken and Wengen and hopefully will leave time for Ticino. You are correct that we are looking forward to seeing the mountains. Being from Florida, we don't get that opportunity very much.
Once again thank you swandav2000 and simpsonc510 for your recommendations!! If you have any other suggestions, for those areas......that would be great!!