Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland to England (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-to-england-711372/)

fouryee Jun 7th, 2007 10:25 AM

Switzerland to England

For a student studying summer school in Switzerland, what is the best way to go to England?

Julia_E Jun 7th, 2007 10:29 AM

There are lots of low-cost airfare carriers throughout Europe.

Also, if you want to see the scenery between Switzerland and England, consider taking the train to northern France from Switzerland. Then, there are ferries that leave from east of the beaches of Normandy and arrive in Southern England. Then, you can take the train into London and England.

Regards,
Julia

bob_brown Jun 7th, 2007 08:46 PM

Two years ago I flew EasyJet from Geneva to London Gatwick.

If you buy early, you can get a good price. The EJ pricing model is a masterpiece of yield management.
Prices vary by the day, time of year, and how close you are to departure date.
In the summer on weekends close to the day of travel, the prices escaltate rather sharply. Then EJ has a few other pricing gimmicks as well.

I might add that on the flight I was on, only £, € and CHFs were accepted. I had spend all my Swiss money and had no £ with me. My American dollars were useless pieces of paper.

I was in a word, impecunious. Soon after landing a trip to the Barclays ATM relieve the situation. But I was a little surprised that my US $$ were refused.

I wonder if that little fact tells us anything?

bob_brown Jun 7th, 2007 08:47 PM

Make that escalates. I tried to edit, got garbage, and then was locked in to a post or abandon mode. Not sure this Fodors cleanup is very clean.

blightyboy Jun 7th, 2007 09:12 PM

Bob nothing wrong with your dollars, I imagine I would have the same problem with my £`s if I were on a budget carrier from the USA to Mexico

flanneruk Jun 7th, 2007 10:31 PM

I was on an international flight the other day with a US full-fare "legacy" carrier. Kind of airline that boasts about their global service, even though they won't let you check in online in most of the world.

Charged me for booze. And - you'll never believe this - they wouldn't accept my £10 note. Or even the currency of the country we'd just left.

I wonder if that little fact tells us anything?

kleeblatt Jun 8th, 2007 12:42 AM

Check out Airberlin, Easyjet, Swiss, British Airways and compare prices. Use the airport closest to your home base.

alanRow Jun 8th, 2007 03:12 AM

See www.whichbudget.com for low costs airlines & check your local airports for all other airlines - but a lot depends on where in Switerland you are coming from and where in "England" you wish to go.

Failing that see the Swiss section of www.seat61.com

alanRow Jun 8th, 2007 03:15 AM

<<< But I was a little surprised that my US $$ were refused.

I wonder if that little fact tells us anything? >>>

Yes, it tells you that Geneva is very close to the French border and that therefore on that route Swiss Francs, Euro & GBP are the currencies that would be used.

But why did you expect USD to be accepted on a route that didn't involve a country that uses USD?

blightyboy Jun 8th, 2007 11:11 PM

Exactly, not everywhere looks to the USA as the country that we should all look up to and pamper to

nona1 Jun 9th, 2007 12:07 AM

Do you think he is winding us up? Give us one good reason why they SHOULD take US dollars? If I flew domestically within the US should I expect them to accept euros?