Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland to Austria: seeking suggestions/recommendations/advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-to-austria-seeking-suggestions-recommendations-advice-354069/)

Travelerstoo Sep 1st, 2003 04:23 PM

Switzerland to Austria: seeking suggestions/recommendations/advice

Our first trip to these countries. Have researched extensively but am overwhelmed with info. Have 17 nights. Comments please.
Our itinerary presently is open.
(1)Arriving Zurich early a.m. from US east coast, Sept. 23d, overnight in Luzern (l or 2 nights?) or leave Luzern early p.m. on day 2 to Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights, picking up rental car in Interlaken on day 3?
(2)Interlaken to Appenzell - special sights or stopovers enroute?
(3)Appenzell to Hall (via Liechtenstein)
(4)Hall to Salzburg (car return) - via?
(5)Salzburg: 2-3 nights?
(6)Salzburg to Hallstatt(train): l night
(7)Hallstatt to Vienna(train): 5 nights

GaiusJulius Sep 2nd, 2003 02:39 PM

Try this,
Arrive in Zurich and stay there, beautiful city. Take the boats to the cities along the lake, rent a car and drive to Interlaken, stay there for three nights. Luzern not very exciting. From Interlaken visit Guyerre, and Stadt. Drive from Interlaken to Munich only 4 hours of beautiful scenery, then Appenzell Hall, Salzburg, et al.
GaiusJulius

BTilke Sep 2nd, 2003 11:17 PM

My husband's aunt and uncle recently moved from the Lugano area to Appenzell :-(
His father visited them last fall and found Appenzell beautiful, but depressing. Full of glum old people (his comment, not mine, and he's in his 70s). Outside the town there's a big sign near the cemetery saying "God is waiting for you" How's that for cheerful?

Intrepid Sep 3rd, 2003 12:03 AM

I think you'll find Appenzell and the surroundings very picturesque...so much so that it almost seems fake. The village is small with not a lot to do. However, since you are so close I would highly recommend you consider visiting the nearby abbey church in St. Gallen...the interior is reputed to be one of, if not the most, beautiful in Switzerland. And the attached world-famous library might also interest you.

KathyNZ Sep 3rd, 2003 01:49 AM

Lucerne may not be exciting as such depending on what you mean by that, but it is so pretty and the lion monument is the most thought provoking I have ever seen.
Btilke, that is very funny.

Maureen Sep 3rd, 2003 05:59 AM

We traveled thru Austria and Switzerland last year and we really liked Lucerne--if not on a budget stay at the Hotel Gutsch on the mountain overlooking Lake Geneva. Don't miss the Matterhorn--spectacular--from Gonergrat you can look down at 50 mountaintops--one of the great sights of the world! Access the Matterhorn thru the little charming town of Zermatt. Also loved Salzburg and the astonishing views high up at the Eagle's Nest near Obersalzburg. Beutiful lakes such as Lake Geneva and Lake Wolfgang. Vienna is a large city, we liked the classical concert at the Liechtenstein Palace. But if I had only one sight to see it would be to go up the mountain to Gonergrat to view the Matterhorn and all the other mountaintops. In July it was freezing at the top! You'll love those cogwheel trains going up the mountains it's quite an adventure! Best enjoyed while going up Mt. Pilatus in Switzerland and then enjoy the views going down on a gondola.

Maureen Sep 3rd, 2003 09:39 AM

I meant to say Hotel Gutsch or Guetsch overlooking Lake Lucerne--what a view!

bettyk Sep 3rd, 2003 10:22 AM

Didn't somebody say in another post that the Hotel Gutsch had closed down? We haved stayed at the Des Balances on 3 previous trips to Lucerene. Great location on the River Reuss in the Old Town.

Travelerstoo Sep 3rd, 2003 01:49 PM

Thank you all for your input. Am presently recovering from shock of a $22l auto drop-off fee (Switzerland to Austria)! I really enjoy train travel but husband likes the freedom of a car. Choke on the price and go for it?
Any great stopovers or must-sees enroute to Austria from Interlaken? Suggested route?
Many thanks for your thoughtful help.

eurotraveller Sep 3rd, 2003 09:06 PM

Hmmm.. I just did a 2 1/2 week trip through Austria and Switzerland. We rented a car in Munich through Kemwel for two weeks and it only cost us $500 for the two weeks. Kemwel has amazing rates and also offers collision insurance for $7 a day but that has a $500. deductible. We rented the auto through them but got the insurance through Travel Guard at same price per day but with no deductible. Great deal! Don't spend too much time in Interlaken if you can help it. I would stay 2+ nights in Hallstatt. It is one of my favorite places in Europe! Email me if you have any specific questions.