Search

Switzerland - Ticino area in late July for 3 nights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland - Ticino area in late July for 3 nights

Hello Switzerland experts,
I would like some advice for our stay (DH and I) in the Ticino area – 3 nights (which will give us only 2 full days in the area): July 30 – August 1st.
Ideally, we would like a hotel with a lake view and terrace where we can enjoy the view, a cup of coffee, read a book, etc. A quiet area is essential, since I am a very light sleeper. And because we’re going in the middle of the summer, a/c too. Would like to keep it under $300 - $320/night.

For now, I’m trying to figure out what’s the best location for us: Lugano, Locarno or Ascona? Or maybe something else? We’ll have a car, so that gives us some flexibility.

While in the area, we’ll probably want to do some of the following: take the funicular to San Salvatore for the views, explore Gandria and/or Marcote, take a cruise (2-3 hrs) on the lake, explore Bellinzona. A ride on the Centovalli train sounds great, too but not sure we can fit it in the schedule – relaxing and enjoying the area is more important that seeing/doing it all.

If it seems that our interests are more Lugano-based, that’s only because I think I read more Lugano and surroundings. We’re open to other towns in the area that offer similar things: amazing lake views, little towns to explore, good restaurants. Thanks a lot.

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Hi again xyz:

I agree that Lugano would be best if your plans also include Lakes Como, Maggiore and Orta. If not, and you're focusing on the Ticino valleys, then Ascona would be better.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking at Ascona hotels and find very few have air conditioning. You might want to look at Hotel Ascona, which seems to have what you are looking for.

I'm a huge Ascona fan but if you want to see Gandria and Morcote, you need to stay in Lugano. From Ascona, you can go to the Brissago islands by boat or take the bus up the Val Verzasca. In Ascona, a nice evening stroll would be to walk past the promenade towards the public bathing beach and continue on until you reach the Ascona boat harbour. Then walk back. Very nice. The public beach is very nice too.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM

I prefer the Lugano waterfront to the one at Ascona. The size and scale of the lake there makes it more dramatic IMO.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Tuck,
Any idea of a hotel in Lugano (or neighborhood) with a view, a/c and under $320/night? Hotel du Lac doesn’t get great reviews....Dante Lugano sounds great, but has no lake view…Hotel Dellago sounds good too, but it seems that their reception is only serviced in the morning, after that everybody is busy with the restaurant… others are way over our budget. Any idea?
Thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can get past the need for a lake view, I can recommend the Dante in Lugano and its incredible/amazing breakfast buffet. The rooms are non-descript but very comfortable; the staff was friendly and very helpful. They have their own parking garage under the hotel.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM

The Delfino Lugano might fit the bill. It's very comfortable, nice views from the balconies, has a pool (really appreciated in July/August), excellent service, on site restaurant (a good one), parking. Only the main areas had AC last time we were there, but we heard they were planning to add AC to the rooms. At any rate, the hotel's location and open doors on the terraces bring in lots of breezes.

Re noise, until about 10:30 pm or so, you may hear trains (they still run after then, but much less often) in some of the rooms. Let them know you're interested in a quiet room.

It's well within your budget so you can spring for one of the nicest rooms.

www.delfinolugano.ch

Overall, we much prefer Lugano to Locarno. Ascona, I don't know very well, but Lugano seems to make a better base for traveling.

If you want a suburban location, we've also stayed in Caslano at the Hotel Parco Lago with its own garden and beach. A 3 star place, clean, comfortable, nothing fancy. There are other hotels in Caslano that are similar. Plenty of parking, easy access to the roads for day tripping. The tram will take you into Lugano if you don't want to drive (it's not a tourist oriented tram, but it's still good for some sightseeing).

FYI, there may be fireworks around the lake that time of year. We were in Caslano over the exact same period and they had terrific fireworks that we could watch right from our hotel balcony.

Check with the Ticino or Lugano tourist offices to see where the fireworks will be about that time.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 02:28 AM

We visited the Ticino area from Lake Maggiore. Stayed at Hotel Cannero Riviera which has beautiful lake views. Highly recommend it.With a car Ticino was an easy drive.
http://www.hotelcannero.com/htm_us/index.htm
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:54 AM

We prefer to stay in a B+B or apartment (not a hotel) and stayed in one half way up Monte Bré. We found it on this site - there are many hotels listed there...

http://www.lugano-tourism.ch/region/
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Wow, these are all great ideas, thank you.
At this point, we got over our desire of a room with a lake view (would be nice, but cannot justify those prices) so Dante Lugano looks better and better. The fact that is has a/c and we’ll be there in August is a plus.

Grimmy, Hotel Cannero Riviera looks fantastic (and has a view) – we’ll definitely consider it, even though it’s on Lake Maggiore and not Lugano.

Tuck, I have no idea why I never thought of B&Bs in Switzerland…need to change my way of thinking. We spent 2 wonderful weeks in Ireland this summer and stayed only in B&Bs so I’ll definitely look into B&Bs too, thanks for the link.

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi X,

I just booked two nights with Hotel Dante today. I'm going there for a conference in January. The reviews are great, aren't they?
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

schuler,
You are right –those great reviews are the main reason we are considering the Dante. Well, the reviews, and the breakfast hot chocolate – somebody (can’t remember who) on this site said you can have a spoon stand in it, need to try it