Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland Swiss Pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-swiss-pass-968200/)

fayewolf Feb 25th, 2013 08:39 AM

Switzerland Swiss Pass

This will be my first time going to Switzerland. originally, this wasn't part of the trip, I was going to London to see my aunt and explore paris on my own. However due to getting award tickets, my outbound flight is from zurich.

I am actually really excited to add a few days in Switzerland. I got my train ticket from paris to geneva on 3/24. Ideally, I would've gotten the ticket to lucerne, but it was costing 120euros...so I figure I can explore geneva and get cheaper tickets exploring around before heading back to zurich.

My departure date back to the USA is 3/28.

My plan is as follow-
3/24 arrive geneva from paris- explore around geneva. Either stay in geneva overnight or head to montreux for the night.
CHP14.5

3/25: take golden pass route to zweissmmenn, then to interlaken.
Not sure if I should even get out here to explore? Then take the interlakent to lucerne train and stay in lucerne. (51CHP??)
I have a luggage with it and I'm not sure if there are any storage thing there?

3/26: lake ride around lucerne to vitznau. . Get up to mt rigi via cogwheel train. Back to lucerne (how long does this trip takes??
(26CHP boat ride from lucerne to vitznau,
41 CHP COGWHEEL rail up to rigi klum,
41 CHP down via arth goldnau
26chp boat ride back to lucerne
Total=134

3/27: head back to zurich. Day in zurich, stay in airport hotel since my flight is 7am back to US. CHP14

Thoughts on the itinerary? I really tried my best to figure out the cost of these trips, but I'm having a hard time,

Total should be around 220

Did I miss anything or calculate something wrong?

The half pass seems like it will come out just exactly even.

PalenQ Feb 25th, 2013 08:53 AM

With that much train travel and boats too, covered in full by the pass a pass of some kind would seem a no-brainer and after oodles of such passes I always end up doing even more than I had thought if the transport is free and I do not have to think 'is it worth it to me'

anyway check out these superb IMO sources for lots of answers to your queries - www.swisstravelsystem.com; http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html; and www.ricksteves.com.

fayewolf Feb 25th, 2013 11:28 AM

Palenq- do you think my itinerary is way too busy???
I am not set on anything beyond my starting point must be geneva and last day must be in zurich.

Would you wander over to oberland instead? I definitely want to see the swiss alps.

PalenQ Feb 25th, 2013 11:35 AM

then to interlaken.
Not sure if I should even get out here to explore? Then take the interlakent to lucerne train and stay in lucerne. (51CHP??)>

If you have never been to Switzerland then why ignore what many deem to be both the literal and figurative highpoint of Switzerland the fantastic Berner Oberland - a k a Jungfrau Region that stretches up south from Interlaken - places like Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen make perfect perches right up in the mountains - to me the most amazing part of all of Switzerland - Lucerne is however really nice and a boat rip on Lake Lucerne is one of my favorite things to do - but you do not experience the unique and awesome high Alps anywhere on your trip - only in a place like the Jungfrau (or Zermatt or Engelberg, a possible day trip from Lucerne, offer the glacier-girdled high rugged peaks that may be of Switzerland in your mind's eyes.

You could use a 4-consecutive-day Swiss Pass for the best deal on transit - use it in Geneva - maybe taking a lake boat, covered and use it to get to Zurich - paying a few bucks ticket the next day to get to the airport.

fayewolf Feb 25th, 2013 06:56 PM

I agree with you. Would it make sense to still stay in lucerne and then get to engelberg? Since I only have a few days, not sure if i can wait for a clear day for jungfraujoch ?

Day 1: arrive geneva afternoon, stroll around and head to lucerne I evening
Day 2: early start to go to engelberg
Day 3. Not sure
Day 4 head back to zurich
Day 5 fly back

Would this work?

PalenQ Feb 26th, 2013 09:18 AM

Yup that would work and I'd do a lake boat trip involving Mt Pilatus, if clear, or Mt Rigi on Lake Lucerne the other day - Swiss Passes are valid on boats and there currently is a sale where you get one day extra on Swiss Passes so you could get a 4-day pass for 5 days and cover the final trip to the airport to boot.