Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland or Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-or-scotland-371564/)

sevakaur Oct 26th, 2003 10:39 AM

Switzerland or Scotland

Hello,
Wondering if you had to choose one place to visit which one would be more beautiful and interesting to visit, Switwerland or Scotland. We love the beauty and friendly people.

annesherrod Oct 26th, 2003 11:08 AM

Having lived in one country(scotland) and spent some time in the other, I really don't know how to answer.
They are both truly magnificent.
What time of year are you going?
I must say in my humble opinion that the Scottish are some of the nicest people I have ever met. (abonus is they also speak your language!)
If that truly is a criteria, than I would reccomend Scotland. It is known for its mystical beauty,ancient castles, heather covered Highlands, and wonderful people.
Taking a car, you can explore little out of the way hamlets,etc...
It might be fun to fly into London, stay a few days there, then take the train to Edinburgh, stay there a few days then rent a car and go off and explore the country side - Stirling is where I lived. There is a lot of histrory there. Did you like BraveHeart?
Either place you will have a unique and different experince!!!!
Have fun -

sevakaur Oct 26th, 2003 11:24 AM

Thank you for your information. We will probably go in either July or August. We are flexible. The idea of charming mystical villages is interesting.

dixon Oct 26th, 2003 11:30 AM

I think the question is like asking one to compare your favorite football team with your favorite dessert.

The two are not the same.
One thing about Scotland, if you are friendly and affable, you will get into many coversations, quickly and readily.

Fewer Swiss speak English, and they are sometimes reticent to initiate conversations in what to them is a foreign language.

sheila Oct 26th, 2003 12:19 PM

If I had to make a choice as such, I would choose Scotland because we have the sea as well as everything else that's good.

johnian Oct 26th, 2003 01:19 PM

Some would say that there are only two kinds of people...those who are Scottish and those who would like to be.

Both are wonderful places. My heart would say Scotland.

francophile03 Oct 26th, 2003 04:17 PM

Yeah, that is like comparing apples and oranges. I have not been to Scotland (but would like to go) but I've been to Switzerland-Berne and Lucerne. Switzerland is really scenic and I found the people friendly enough. I guess they were not overly friendly; polite is more like it. So from what I'm reading the Scots are very friendly. Scotland it is I guess!

ThinGorjus Oct 26th, 2003 07:08 PM

I have been to both Scotland and Switzerland. Switzerland is probably the most beautiful and scenic place I have travelled to. However, I find the Swiss to be aloof, formal and also think Switzerland very expensive. Scotland is more haunting than it is beautiful. The people are friendly and it is very easy to strike up a conversation with a Scot, as opposed to a Swiss. You are going on summer holiday, which is fantastic, as Scotland is cold and damp (to the bone) in the winter months. It is hard to choose between the two, and I think you should eventually see both. :)

mari808 Oct 26th, 2003 10:32 PM

I was going to say the countryside of Scotland is hauntingly beautiful, but someone beat me to it. It isn't majestic, it has a cozier feel in most places, but it has a stark, brooding, untouched beauty heightened by the absence of people and the ruins of stone cottages abandoned during the Clearances centuries ago. Scotland's beauty has a sad, rough-around-the-edges quality. And the people, once I caught on that many Scots have a tendency to joke around with absolutely straight faces, are some of the most memorable I've met.

Switzerland is beautiful too, I haven't traveled so much there, but to me it imparts a much more ordered sense, a sense that even the countryside has been much more touched by the hand of man.

yildy Oct 26th, 2003 11:23 PM

Not denying the wonders of Scotland, if I have a choice (specially with self-driving) I will go for Switzerland with its Alps offering you a paradise features. Even a well planned train ride would be wonderful. There is so much in Switzerland -- of nature -- that traveling from last 10 plus years, we feel we are yet go see more of it. Make sure you plan well...there are many options.

annesherrod Oct 28th, 2003 06:24 PM

mari808,
I loved your response. I recently did quite a bit of research on The Highland Clearances. I did not know anything about it. In fact, I have read it is not really taught in school, here or in the UK till recently.
No wonder the Scottish people are such a strong people ( in character). I would go back in a heart beat.

Calamari Oct 28th, 2003 07:11 PM

I agree with Thingorjus...did I just say that? Anyway, I must admit that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Scotland. With the major exception of the food, it is a grand place full of terrific people. Snooker anyone?