Switzerland or England???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI i have kinda decided on Prague for my Christmas week...However, wan to go another city in Europe...WIth cost consideration, will zurich/geneva or London be more expensive? thanks. BTW, how many days should i stay in Prague? what's a good budget airline?
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:03 AM

i would suggest 4 days or more in prague.

i would not use cost as a deciding factor because both locations are expensive and not so different as to affect your plans. As usual, it depends what you spend your money on but I think most travellers would find them to be close.

If someone quotes a cost of living rating for each, take it as a grain of salt because it is too rough a guide to really give you an idea. Like those "big mac" ratings that are nearly worthless.

what i would use as a deciding factor is that london is one of the most interesting, vibrant, and cultured cities in the world. if you have little or no experience in europe, i would certainly visit london before the cities you mention in CH. These cities are not anywhere as interesting unless you have a special reason for wanting to visit (especially geneva).
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:35 AM

If you've decided on Prague for just one week, go somewhere nearby, If you've three nights in London, you've lost two days for travelling, what on earth do you think you'll achieve?

London is sleepy at Christmas time, no new collections available either.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Your question is like asking if you should eat standing on your head or row a boat. No comparison, other than both Zürich and London are expensive cities, given the weakness of the dollar versus every other currency in Europe.

London has everything you want. Boxing day is traditionally the day after Christmas day and most of the places around London are closed. Even the British Museum is closed on the 26th and January 1.

Easyjet flies to Prague from London Stanstead, but getting to Stanstead is a chore from Gatwick.

I know of no budget international flights. You can shop around for fares.
Klm can get you there via Amsterdam for less than $550, if the Expedia fares are to be believed.
Probably your best bet.

But going anywhere in Europe over Christmas day is going to find you with at least 2 down days, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. And Britain of course has Boxing Day.

Germany usually closes up even more.
Have you checked to see if major sights will be open in Prague? Walking around empty streets staring at closed store windows is not my idea of the way to spend Christmas.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Just an addition to Bob's note, Easyjet also flies from Prague to London Gatwick (new route this year in addition to the Prague to London Stansted route).
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you mention "budget" regarding airlines, I question the choice of either London or Geneva, as they are two of the most expensive destination choices in Europe! If Prague is for certain why not pick the 2nd place closer, I don't know... Budapest, Vienna or something?

If you choose Switzerland I suggest flying into Geneva and leaving immediately by train (I find Geneva boring, OK for a business trip but no place I'd want to vacation) and go out to the lovely towns nearby along the Lac Leman like Morges, Lausanne, Vevey and Montreux.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:33 AM
rex

For all budget airline questions, see www.whichbudget.com

I am going to be perplexed all day by trying to figure out how DOES one decide between rowing a boat and the standing on one's head thing?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:10 AM

I find Geneva (and Vevey and Montreux) less expensive, overall, than London. And if you're talking about Christmas week, I'd probably choose it because of all the closures in London over Christmas. I also don't think Geneva is so dreadful. There is plenty to do there for a couple of days.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Grasshopper~ you're right about Geneva. Sorry, I shouldn't post before I'm fully awake (8:00am PST)! But I do think the other towns along the lake are just so gorgeous and a bit easier to get your arms around, so to speak, especially in a short visit.

Lisay~ I have a friend currently living 1/2 time London and 1/2 time Switzerland, he swears London is more expensive.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

tks
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Guess what i have not been able to log in last few days...but certainly thanks for all the suggestions...any idea where i could see snow for 1st 2 weeks of Dec? Also, quite keen to get some christmas shopping done...more the decoration...thanks
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:47 PM

If you are interested in Christmas shopping and markets and stuff what about going to Germany- they say that Munich and the surrounding area have wonderful Christmas markets. That might be a doable train ride from Prague.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:53 PM

Possible but not likely to have snow over Christmas in Switzerland along the lake (Geneva). There's a Marche de Noel (street festival, christmas market) in Montreux which might be fun for a day, but certainly not make for an entire vacation.

If Prague is a "for sure" I'd research places geographically nearer that have christmas markets, winter festivals, and the like.