Switzerland/northern Italy lodging/transportation questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and our 2 grown children will be going to Italy and Switzerland 5/27-6/10 of this year. My wife and I will be getting off of a cruise in Triesta on 5/27 and our next stop will be Locarno where we meet up with our two adult children. We were considering stopping overnight in Brescia to break up the trip to Locarno. After Locarno we leave on the Bernini Express on 6/1 to the Upper Engadine region to stay in likely St Moritz or Pontresina. We leave there on 6/5 taking the Glacier Express to Zermott. On 6/7 we leave for Lucerne and stay till 6/10, leaving from Zurich back home.

We've never traveled to Europe, so I have a few questions. Regarding travel, when you get off the train, what is the best way to go to where you are staying (Taxi?) We'll have our luggage with us and won't want to be dragging it a long way. Are there bad areas to stay away from at the stations in these areas? Does anyone have recommendations on places to stay in Brescia (1 night), Locarno (4 nights), the Upper Engadine region (St Moritz or Pontrasina for 4 nights), Zermott (2 nights), or Lucerne (4 nights)? We plan to do hiking, scenic touring, and in some areas (Lucerne in particular) some city sight seeing. Thanks.

Brian
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 12:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We travel exclusively by train and bus in Switzerland. We choose accommodation within walking distance of a train station or bus stop. We've screwed up a few times though, choosing accommodation that looked close on paper, but required an uphill slog from the station (we stay in apartments). It's always an adventure.

Keep in mind that Pontresina in particular is quite a climb from the train station, but there are connecting buses - you'll find these on the SBB site - St Mortiz too, but there are escalators that go up to town. Can't say that I've ever seen taxis outside the large cities in Switzerland, but perhaps I've just not looked for them. Some villages have free buses that run through town, but this might only be in ski season.

If staying in a hotel, they might offer some sort of transport. The owner of a hotel in Wengen once came down to collect us at the train station in his electric cart.

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 16th, 2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 12:42 PM

It depends on how much luggage you have. Is it safe to assume that you'll have more than a roller since you will be coming from a cruise? That could complicate things a bit. I don't know if cruises have laundry service--if they do, it would be great to avail yourselves of it so you can start fresh after the cruise.
You should be able to grab a taxi in most cases, but sometimes at small stations you won't find a taxi line but you may be able to locate a phone number to call one posted in the station. I'd inquire with each hotel once it is booked about what they can offer.

If you do have an excess of luggage from the cruise, it may be worth the expense and hassle to ship some things home from Trieste. I'd do that before I lugged extra bags across Switzerland.

Last edited by yorkshire; Mar 16th, 2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all great information. Not sure how much luggage we will have but I'm guessing 1 large suitcase and two carry on size bags. I'll definitely be inquiring with the hotels about getting there from the train station. I like the idea of shipping some of the luggage separate if possible.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were warned not to stay in St-Moritz but rather in nearby Pontresina. When we arrived, we were so happy that we had chosen Pontresina! It is a charming town with painted houses and nice places to stay and dine. We were shocked how unattractive the city of St- Moritz was in spite of its beautiful location.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That is good information. I'll look closer at Pontresina for our stay there.
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 09:03 AM

Brescia - Locarno is just 3 hrs by train, with 1 train change at Milano Centrale (layover 30 min).
IMO, Brescia has stuff for a 1/2 day visit. Alternatives could be Verona (Roman theatre, museums), Desenzano or Peschiera (Lake Garda, landscape).
Milan would be a good choice too and logistically easier (train ride only 30 min longer, 1 train change less, good hotels a few steps from the railway station, a lot to see).

Lugano - Bernina Express - St. Moiritz: there will be 2 train/bus changes, at Lugano and at Tirano.
But you can send your luggage directly from Locarno to St. Moritz, Pontresina, Sils-Maria or so.https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-servic...e/luggage.html
Not all cableways will run in early June, but the best of all, the Bernina - Diavolezza gondola will bring you in the middle of the glaciers of Bernina.

Zermatt - Lucerne: don't take the direct itinerary if the weather is fine. There is a much more scenic one via Brig - Kandersteg - Spiez - Interlaken Ost - Brienz - Bruenig Pass. You may even do the Interlaken Ost - Brienz leg by steamboat..
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 12:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Other options near St Moritz, but much more sedate, include Celerina and Sils. I'm not a fan of Pontresina as it's too overbuilt for my tastes (although nothing like the concrete jungle of St Mortiz), but it makes a good base.

Sils is reachable by bus, Celerina can be reached by train, just one stop from St Moritz (Celerina has two train stops, Celerina Staz on the Bernina line of the Rhaetian Railway and Celerina/Schlarigna - we learned this the hard way - so make sure you know which you need). It's also easy to get to St Mortiz by bus from Celerina.
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 02:01 PM

We've travelled in Europe by train and always look for hotels reasonably close to the railway station. If we have had doubts about the ease of reaching the hotel, we have emailed the hotel and asked their advice.
Lucerne has been one of our favourite places to visit. We've visited both Mount Pilatus and Mount Rigi - both trips start with a ferry ride then an unique train service to the top of the mountain, usually followed by coffee and cake while admiring the views. If you visit the lion monument, there is an excellent diaramora in a building close by.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by bricud
Does anyone have recommendations on places to stay in Brescia (1 night), Locarno (4 nights), the Upper Engadine region (St Moritz or Pontrasina for 4 nights), Zermott (2 nights), or Lucerne (4 nights)? We plan to do hiking, scenic touring, and in some areas (Lucerne in particular) some city sight seeing. Thanks.
I did some extensive research on Locarno a couple of years ago, but without actually going. My first choice for hotel was Hotel Stella, which lies in the hills above Locarno. Not the cheapest, but great reviews and the view from the place looks extraordinary. You'll probably need to use a taxi from the station to get there, but otherwise you could use the Orsellina Furnicular to get down to the town.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Great information. I'm finding that many places are already filling in the Upper Engadine region. But we found and booked Petit Chalet in Celerina as our base for 4 days. Now to look to Lucerne. Considering Hotel Rigi Kaltbad for its spa access and beauty but not sure if it would be better to be in town and take a day trip out to the spa area.

Also looking for any recommendations on places to stay by Zermott. Spending 2 days there.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 04:07 PM

We have stayed at the Hotel Daniela (3 times) and the Traditional Julen Hotel (1 time) in Zermatt. Both are great and owned by the same family. They will pick you up and take you (and your luggage) back to the train station if you advise them of your arrival and departure in advance. Two wonderful scenic adventures from Zermatt are up to Gornergrat or to Klein Matterhorn. You can take the Gornergrat train up to the top for a fantastic view of the Matterhorn and a look at the glacier. The trip to Klein Matterhorn and the Matterhorn Glacier Park is by gondolas. At the top is a 360 degrees view of peaks and glaciers. Have fun in Switzerland!
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 02:45 AM

Rigi Kaltbad is 1 - 1 1/2 hr by public transport from Lucerne
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neckervd
Rigi Kaltbad is 1 - 1 1/2 hr by public transport from Lucerne
Yes, but the trip is half the fun! You would use a boat and then a cable car (or you can always go by train/bus/cable car if you travel through Küssnacht).
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 01:57 AM

Hello BrianFrom the train stations you can get to the hotel by taxi or by hotel bus. Actually, there are no "bad" areas in Switzerland and you can move around freely.In St.Moritz I would visit the Diavolezza and the Morteratsch glacier. In Zermatt, I can recommend the Hotel Cristiania. It's a very nice hotel with a big pool and not far from the centre and the cable cars. In Zermatt, I can recommend the trip up the Gornergrat and the Kleine Matterhorn (beware: due to the altitude of 3500 metres above sea level, the air is very thin) and the visit to the Gorner Gorge.
From Lucerne, excursions to the mountains Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi and Stanserhorn are worthwhile and offer very beautiful views. A boat trip on an old paddle steamer on Lake Lucerne is also a wonderful experience.
Have a great trip
Martin
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I like the idea of the paddle steamer on Lake Lucerne. I'm sure we'll pursue that one.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Be careful in the station in Brescia, especially if you arrive in the evening. Take a taxi to your hotel. The historical centre of Brescia is nice for a stroll, I would stay right in the centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -