Switzerland, Milan, Venice

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland, Milan, Venice

Hello to Everyone: Planning a 10 day trip for 5 couples to Switzerland, Milan and Venice in June 2008. We will fly in Switzerland and spend 4 days, then onto Milan for 2 and then to Venice for 4. I am clueless as to Switzerland and where to fly into. One thing I want to do is take the Bernia Express to Tirano. This is about all I know. Can anybody recommend the best city to stay in Switzerland that will also allow close proximity for the Bernina Express? Thanks for your help

Regards

Gene1
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:21 AM

What made you choose Switzerland in the first place? Surely someone in your group had an idea in mind? Are you wanting mountain chalet or a city vacation, like Zurich?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Hi Gene1,

The Bernina Express is an absolutely lovely train ride that runs from St. Moritz (in the southeastern part of the country) to Tirano in Italy.

A good plan would be to fly into Zurich, then train immediately to St. Moritz or a smaller town nearby (Pontresina, Sils, Silvaplana, etc). Spend four days in those mountain towns, then go on the BE. It'll be a blast.

You can find information about these destinations at

www.engadin.ch

You can find information about the train schedules (including the route from St. Moritz to Tirano) at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Also, know that there is a train station in the basement of the Zurich airport, so you'll be all set!

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Sandi: Just pull it off the top of my hat. Not one person in our group mentioned Switzerland
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Swanda: Thanks for you info. Will check into it.

regards
Gene1
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I don't know if you are serious or not.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Sandi: In April of 2001 I put a self driving tour together of Ireland; Shannon to Dublin to Galway Bay back to Shannon with 4 couples. In 2003 I put a self driving tour together of Scotland, Glasgow, Isle of Skye, Edinburgh with 4 couples. In 2005 I put together a train / self driving tour of Italy, Rome train to Florence, pick up 2 rental cars, Lucca, Pisa, San G, Montepluciano, Oriveto back to Rome.. 9 people. Did it all thru the internet using good advice from people like you and hard work. Like I said, Switzerland was off the top of my head as another country to visit. Don't know much about this country and was looking for some advice.

Thank you.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM

That's great, and to help you better it might be good to know what kind of Switzerland expperience would interest you most, something very Alpine or big city? I have only been to Zurich and to Montreux but both are beautiful and exciting cities.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM

I am not a city lover. I especially detested the few hours we were in Milan, but that's another story. Cities tend to be crowded, muliticultural and lacking in authenticity. Why not stay a bit off the beaten path in Switzerland? I would suggest a beautiful village in the Engadine? Sils-Maria, Pontresina are nice. I loved the area near Scuol....beautiful train rides there. Guarda, Ardez, Tarasp Castle....gorgeous!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Dear Swandav, Sandi and LindaC. Thank you so much for you response. I think I'll do 2 days in Zurich and then 2 days in the Alpine country side.

Regards

Gene1