Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland: Lucerne / Engelberg to Grindelwald by Road possible??

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand, I can drive my RV from Lucerne / Engelberg to Grindelwald and then take the train to Jungfraujoch. Can anyone confirm this please?

If so, would it be better to stay in Grindelwald the night before going to Jungfraujoch or stay in Engelberg or in Lucerne? If the weather is good (in May, 2013) I plan to spend the day in Mt. Titlis and then go to Jungfraujoch the next day. Looking for options on where to stay.

I will be in a RV with my family. Additional details on family and my plan is here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-select.cfm

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM

Not sure how much this will help with your decision however I can tell you a little about Engelberg after our one week stay a few years ago. The town of Engelberg is very nice, everything you could want or need, markets, cafes, train station. You can visit Mt. Titlis while in Engelberg, ride the revolving cable car and the Ice Flyer for breathtaking mountain views, like being in top of the world.

The only drawback I can see with basing there in your RV would be the less than advantageous routes into and out of Engelberg, one road in and each time you want to leave to explore it is quite a drive back down the mountain as you can go no further than Engelberg.

If you have an interest in visiting and doing sights in Engelberg then a night or two would be great, just possibly not using it as a base in which to do day trips from. Take a look at a detailed map before you decide. Also, please know this is only my opinion, it is beautiful.

Enjoy your adventure where ever you stay.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Moving the RV from Engelberg to Grindelwald then riding the train to Jungfraujoch will take the better part of the day, which means you won't have much time on top and it could very possibly be clouded over in the afternoon anyway. With the cost of that train ride I would want to at least be there in the morning time and stay as long as desired.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much for the inputs! Guess I will stay the night before in Grindelwald then