Switzerland - June 1 - Banks open?

May 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland - June 1 - Banks open?

Hello!

Here is a question for Fodorites who live in Switzerland at the moment:

Will banks be open on Monday June 1st 2009?

I understand that it will be a holiday on this day?

(some of the bus lines will not be running)

The ATMs work 24 hours a day, correct? (just want to confirm)

Thanks!
May 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Whitmonday, public holiday. Banks and most stores are closed. Public transport runs on Sunday/holiday schedule.
May 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

quokka -- some buses are not running at all on 1 June...

For example, bus nr. 759 from Zurich Flughafen to Kloten will not be in service.
Jun 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to follow up on this thread since I asked the question.

Upon arrival at Zurich airport on June 1st, I went to the cash machine inside the airport near the baggage claim area. I used my ATM card and it did not work. However, it was because my bank put some kind of alert on my account. I had to make a couple of international calls to get that issue settled, but somehow the cash machine still didn't accept my ATM card.

I got frustrated and since there was a long line of people waiting behind me at the cash machine, I left and decided to take the taxi using my credit card.

I walked to the taxi stand outside, and asked to be driven to my hotel in Kloten. The taxi driver started yelling at me for some reason. I had no idea why. I think he was trying to tell me to take public transit. However, since I had two very heavy luggages and I was extremely tired (didn't sleep at all on the flight), I didn't want to lug my stuff around trying to find the right bus to take or wonder whether or not that bus was running at all (I knew that bus nr. 759 was not running, and that was the main bus that goes to my hotel in Kloten).

After asking several taxi drivers at that taxi stand, finally one driver took me (along with a lot of complaining from the driver!). I gave him my credit card when we arrived at my hotel, and he complained and charged me 25 CHF. I knew that I was being ripped off somewhat, but at that point, I was so tired, I didn't care. I went straight to my hotel room and passed out.
Jun 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Every train station it seems changes money and at about bank rates (unlike station exchanges elsewhere in Europe) - so changing money is never a problem any day it would seem.

Yes ATMs are 24/7
Jun 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Well, I was at the airport with all that luggage. I was too tired to go to the train station, esp. with all my luggages.
Jun 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM

I was only addressing the OP's question - she/he can go to any train station if they need to change money

begats the Q why cannot the OP change money the day before or so - why the worry - or is he/she landing in Zurich Airport that day - then if so she/he should heed your cautions - but they can always head to the airport train station i guess.
Jun 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I'm confused, Palenque. I am the OP. By she/he/they, you meant me, right?

I didn't have a lot of USD on me when I arrived at Zurich airport. I had intended to head straight to the cash machine, get CHF, and pay for a taxi to the hotel. This didn't happen because my ATM card had problems, but I still made it to the hotel.

Maybe it's time for me to go to bed...
Jun 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
yk

nancicita, I know you're on a long European trip, but I hope when you come back you can give some sort of abbreviated trip report. I'm interested in lots of places you visited/will visit. Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful!
Jun 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Oh, nancicita,

I'm so sorry you had such a sour first experience! I sure do hope things get better starting today!!

s
Jun 26th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Oh it's been much better since that first day in Zurich.

I really like Switzerland. I've only been to Zurich a few times and this was the first time I explored other areas of the country. I noticed especially the clean air on top of the mountains.

I think I'm going back in August.