Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Poll: Top 5 destinations - definitive symbols of "quintessential Europe"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreeably, Europe is so vast and each country itself is so varied.

But, if you had to put your head down to 5 destinations that represent what Europe mostly stands for, in public eyes world over, which would those be? Destinations could be a major city or a smaller countryside region or a geographic area based on topography or a mix of them.

Everyone has their favorite destinations within Europe. But here we are talking about the idea of Europe, the allure as seen often in its public portrayal.

A friend who has never visited Europe asked me this question and I was stumped. First I thought of major cities like Paris, Rome, Athens, Berlin, Madrid. But quickly realized it doesn't cut it. I tried Alps, Provence, Tuscany, Danube valley, Greek islands. And still, it makes no sense.

With this question, I'm trying to understand what is the perceived image of Europe. Human beings absorb and retain impressions very differently and selectively. It would be good to hear from all on the forum.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 02:38 PM

<i> Poll: Top 5 destinations - definitive symbols of "quintessential Europe"?
Posted by: rtwin80days on Jun 11, 16 at 6:29pm</i>

This question is just another manifestation of the "top 10" junque seen everywhere on the web.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:09 PM

I think something "quaint" obviously rather than a totally modern city, that is mostly rebuilt (like Dresden, IMO, Warsaw, etc.).

But I think most people have different visions of different countries and the concept of one generic "European" city doesn't hold. Just seems like an odd concept to me, I don't know anyone who thinks that way, although they may have dreams of a French or Italian city, etc.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Kraków, Dingle ... That's all I can think of.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 04:59 PM

Center of London - Big Ben, Parliament, westminster abbey
Paris - Eiffel tower
Switz - the Jungfrau and foothills
Venice - the Grand Canal
Prague - whole city but if need to pick the Old Town square/Town Hall

If I could have # 6 I would pick Peterhof Palace near St Pet

But I could name probably 50 places - it just depends on who you are and what you like. We are history buffs and want to see every castle, palace, museum, cathedral and historic sight (not just in major cities but in towns large and small all over the continent) as well as a number of natural areas.

I don't focus on beaches for two reasons:

I am not a beach person - very fair, never tan and find sitting on a beach really boring after about 30 minutes.

I grew up 15 minutes from and still live near some of the most beautiful beaches in the world - so why go to one someplace else (which often is not as nice)?
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Kraków Dingle

He was my Congressman for awhile, of mixed heritage, of course.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Agreeably, it's a difficult task! Over the past couple of weeks, I have spoken to so many people who have come up with interesting responses.

Worth mentioning a history buff's list and his reasons are: Athens (birthplace of western civilization, contribution to philosophy, architecture, politics, democracy, etc), Istanbul (Byzantine empire capital), Rome (for one of the most influential and longest lasting empires and architecture), Normandy (world war reference), London (seat of British empire).

Another friend tackled the question from the perspective of most popular exposure to Europe for Indian masses. Her list entailed - Switzerland (specifically Swiss alps & Zurich (all those Yash Chopra Bollywood movies shot there, leading to Yash Chopra being awarded Swiss Ambassador's award, besides British tourism recognitions, France's highest civilian honor, etc. Another reason is all the black money parked by corrupt politicians in Swiss banks.), London (well, for obvious reasons of it being the seat of British empire and because that's where a lot of Indian public dignitaries in early 20th century went to study), Paris (one of the most popular tourist destinations for Indians outside Asia), Berlin (well, err, the association with the world war), Rome (probably the history class in school, Italian food being one of the most popular non-Indian cuisines in India, etc).

As we can see from the two examples above, each person has their own "version" of how Europe can be popularly summed up. Thanks nytraveler for detailing your perspective.