Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland, Italy, France & Netherlands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-italy-france-and-netherlands-1673739/)

ChethanSP29 Nov 8th, 2019 11:42 PM

Switzerland, Italy, France & Netherlands

hello all,

I am planning for a trip in next summer (MAY 2020) to Europe with my wife. Countries i want to visit is Switzerland, Italy, France & Netherlands.
I am planning for 11 to 12 days trip and I am interested in the following places/activities
Matterhorn, Zermatt
The Jungfrau Region
Lucerne
The Rhine Falls
Mt Titlis
Rome
Vatican city
Venice
Florence
Eiffel tower + cruise
Disney land
Amsterdam

could you please help me with the plan for this trip including train tickets, passes and day to day itinerary etc ?

Thanks & regards,
Chethan

ahbonvraiment Nov 9th, 2019 12:47 AM

To visit Rome Florence and Venice I needed 2 weeks.

Yout itinerary is not doable. I would select 2-4 places la. And some daytrips.
DLP is not advisable if you are from the US and gave easy access to other parks. Just a waste of time during a Europe trip.
You mention Eiffel Tower and cruise in the Seine but big Paris. You don't want to visit Paris whilst there ?

what are your interests ? Your list resembles just that : a list. Please select what interests you and come back with precise questions.

You gave no budget constraints ? You don't sleep in hotels ? Etc.

As for tickets to buy. There is a site that is often recommended for this and is called man in the seat 61.

Best regards.

ChethanSP29 Nov 9th, 2019 01:20 AM

Thank you for your response and suggestions :)
I am from India.

My plan is 2 nights in Paris, 2 in Amsterdam, 3 nights each in Italy & Switzerland. I can customize 2 nights in Swiss & 4 nights in Italy too if Italy has so many things to see.
  1. In Paris -
    1st day planning for the Hop On Hop Off tourist bus for some sightseeing of the city, Louvre Museum & followed by Eiffel Tower and down below via a cruise on the Seine river.2nd day - Disney land trip
  2. In Amsterdam = Keukenhof Gardens,Heineken Experience, Amsterdam City Canal Cruise, Rijks & Van GoghMuseum etc
  3. In Switzerland- Interlaken and the Alps ->Mt. Jungfrau excursion
    Lucerene => Mt Titlis
  4. Italy -
    1. Venice -> Gondela ride Burano, Murano, Grand Canal & Orientation tour of Venice
    2. Florence - Leaning Tower Of Pisa, & other sight seeing
    3. Rome - Vatican city , Pantheon, arch of constantine
Regarding hotels I am fine with 3 star rated also. I am still figuring out what would be the total cost.

I need your advice on this trip.

Regards,
Chethan

starrs Nov 9th, 2019 02:29 AM

You don't have enough time.
2 nights in AMS is not enough time to do what you list in #2.
Slow down.
Either add at least a week, preferably two more weeks, to see all on your list.
OR choose 3 places at the top of your list and visit those 3 places.

StCirq Nov 9th, 2019 03:20 AM

It's far, far too early to be thinking about train tickets, passes, and day-to-day itineraries because this trip is not possible.

Your "plan" does not take into account all the time it will take you to travel from one country/one place to another. Unless you have a magic carpet, that time adds up to a LOT - probably at least 2 full days of travel, leaving you with only a week on the ground and able to see things. Two nights in a place = one day on the ground. Your plan also doesn't even begin account for ordinary things like eating - you do plan to eat on this trip, right? You'll also get lost, run into diversions - unexpected things happen when you travel. They eat up time.

If you have only 11-12 days I would plan to visit two cities in two countries and make day trips from each.

I would not bother going to Paris for only 2 days, especially if all you want to do is take the HOHO bus (expensive, slow waste of time - Paris is far better on foot), the Eiffel Tower, and Disneyland. You can see all of those things on video without the expense.

Same for Amsterdam - no way you can see all that. You'll have one full day there according to your plan (2 nights). You might see a museum or two (quickly) and do a boat tour. Forget the Heineken Experience - it's a waste of experience.

The plan for Italy is mid-boggling - three entire cities in three different parts of the country in three days? Honestly, how on earth could you manage this? Have you looked at a map? They weren't built side by side. It would be hard to do any one of them justice in 3 nights (which as noted twice above, is really only 2 days)

I haven't been to Switzerland recently, so won't comment on that.

Really, if this is the kind of trip you want - and it's fine if it is, even if this particular one is just impossible - take a bus tour. They suit a lot of people who just want to race through a continent, and they relieve people of the responsibility of making plans. But even a bus tour wouldn't attempt your plan.

hetismij2 Nov 9th, 2019 04:05 AM

Keukenhof is only open until 10th May next year.
As others have said you are trying to do too much, which I understand, but I think you have to decide to scrap some of it and slow down somewhat. If you want to see a lot in a short time look at what tours are on offer.
That may also make getting your visas easier.

starrs Nov 9th, 2019 04:36 AM

I am planning for 11 to 12 days trip...

Day 1 - arrival day in City 1
Day 2 - first day to see City 1
Day 2 - second day to see City 1
Day 3 - travel to City 2
Day 4 - first day to see City 2
Day 5 - second day to see City 2
Day 6 - travel to City 3
Day 7 - first day to see City 3
Day 8 - second day to see City 3
Day 9 - travel to City 4
Day 10 - one day to see City 4
Day 11 - departure day

IMO, 4 cities/ locations is the most you can fit in.
But instead of just 2 days in each location, you need AT LEAST 3 days to see the things on your list for each location.
That would mean =

Day 1 - arrival day in City 1
Day 2 - first day to see City 1
Day 2 - second day to see City 1
Day 3 - third day to see City 1
Day 4 - travel to City 2
Day 5 - first day to see City 2
Day 6 - second day to see City 2
Day 7 - third day to see City 2
Day 8 - travel to City 3
Day 9 - first day to see City 3
Day 10 - second day to see City 3
Day 11 - departure day

There's no possible way to even get to all of the places in your list.
There's no possible way to see everything in each place on your list
You are going to have to narrow down to a few place and even narrow down what you are going to do when you get there.

A bus tour may be your best choice if you want to just "see" a lot of places in just 11 days. Even then, you have to factor in time for the driver to sleep, even if you sleep on the bus.

geetika Nov 9th, 2019 04:54 AM

Chethan, as the others have said two nights actually means only one day on the ground. You also have to factor in travel time between the different cities, plus the time to get to/from the station/airport, quite often this takes up to half a day. Multiply this by the number of places you want to visit and you’ll see how much it eats into your vacation time.

I suggest you rework your itinerary and try to narrow it down to two or three cities. IMO 12 days will just about cover Rome, Florence and Venice, they’re reasonably close together. If you want to see Paris you could maybe take an overnight train from there to Rome or Venice, this will save time plus the cost of one night’s hotel. Or see if you can extend your vacation to 2-3 weeks...

Another good suggestion is to take a bus tour, you’ll find several different options if you look online. One advantage is that the tour operator handles everything, but on the other hand you’ll be on a whirlwind trip sitting on a bus for the most part. Not at all my idea of a trip to Europe!

BTW, as the name implies the Leaning Tower is in Pisa, not Florence!

ChethanSP29 Nov 13th, 2019 05:17 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions, I realized now that i was making a hectic plan and spend most of the time in traveling itself.

Now i have to make alternative plan for that i need your support as my schedules are changed.

I am visiting Bratislava in May 2020 for my office work and planning to extend one week for my vacation.
as i have already visited, Vienna, Budapest, Slazburg * Innsbruck, i am now planning to spend 2-3 days in Venice and 3-4 days in switzerland.

is it right plan or you have any other suggestions? as I see that slovenia or Croatia are beautiful and near to Venice.

As my wife first time visiting Europe, I need to take her to Snow and sea side also fine, need your suggestions for a week trip where i can cover some good places.

starrs Nov 13th, 2019 06:30 AM

"I am visiting Bratislava in May 2020 for my office work and planning to extend one week for my vacation."

Now you have one week?
Day 1 - fly to Paris
Days 2 and 3 = Paris
Day 4 - fly to Venice
Days 5 and 6 = Venice
Day 7 - departure day

neckervd Nov 13th, 2019 06:49 AM

" I can customize 4 nights in Italy IF ITALY HAS SO MANY THINGS TO SEE"

Most probably a joke!

bilboburgler Nov 13th, 2019 07:10 AM

I have a number of Indian friends who like having very rushed holidays so I sort of understand, but it is not my way at all.

I think you are now looking at Bratislava, 3-4 days in Switzerland and 2 to 3 days in Venice

I'm going to suggest you look at this a little differently. May is a bit late to touch snow, though you should be able to see it from the train window or hotel window looking up at the mountains. Rome2Rio and look at the train options https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Bratislava/Salzburg/Venice this route would let you visit Vienna, Linz, Salzburg and Venice over a few days and by its very nature would take you into the Alps if not the Swiss Alps. Maybe your company would let you flly back from Venice??

I hope that helps, try playing with the Rome2rio website to see other options for instance you could go to Zagreb instead of Linz and Salzburg.

geetika Nov 13th, 2019 10:20 AM

Ljubljana and Venice are close to each other and can be combined, fly into one from Bratislava and back home from the other. You should be able to work this out with your company, talk to them about it. One week will be ideal to get a good mix of these two places without rushing around.

You haven’t said when in May is your trip, you’re unlikely to find snow in Switzerland except at the higher altitudes. This is also in between the ski season and summer, so many places aren’t open. I remember we went end May in 2006 and found quite a bit hadn’t yet opened for summer.

Or as starrs suggested you can combine Venice and Paris, with a direct flight back home. Take a look at some travel guides and come back with a tentative plan and we’re happy to help.

bvlenci Nov 13th, 2019 12:44 PM

You won't be sure to find snow in May unless you go high in the mountains. In Switzerland, as someone said already, it's too late for skiing and too early for hiking, so a lot of hotel owners take a break and go to Tenerife.

ChethanSP29 Nov 13th, 2019 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17015714)
"I am visiting Bratislava in May 2020 for my office work and planning to extend one week for my vacation."

Now you have one week?
Day 1 - fly to Paris
Days 2 and 3 = Paris
Day 4 - fly to Venice
Days 5 and 6 = Venice
Day 7 - departure day

Originally Posted by neckervd (Post 17015723)
" I can customize 4 nights in Italy IF ITALY HAS SO MANY THINGS TO SEE"

Most probably a joke!

Originally Posted by bilboburgler (Post 17015742)
I have a number of Indian friends who like having very rushed holidays so I sort of understand, but it is not my way at all.

I think you are now looking at Bratislava, 3-4 days in Switzerland and 2 to 3 days in Venice

I'm going to suggest you look at this a little differently. May is a bit late to touch snow, though you should be able to see it from the train window or hotel window looking up at the mountains. Rome2Rio and look at the train options https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Bratislava/Salzburg/Venice this route would let you visit Vienna, Linz, Salzburg and Venice over a few days and by its very nature would take you into the Alps if not the Swiss Alps. Maybe your company would let you flly back from Venice??

I hope that helps, try playing with the Rome2rio website to see other options for instance you could go to Zagreb instead of Linz and Salzburg.

Originally Posted by geetika (Post 17015829)
Ljubljana and Venice are close to each other and can be combined, fly into one from Bratislava and back home from the other. You should be able to work this out with your company, talk to them about it. One week will be ideal to get a good mix of these two places without rushing around.

You haven’t said when in May is your trip, you’re unlikely to find snow in Switzerland except at the higher altitudes. This is also in between the ski season and summer, so many places aren’t open. I remember we went end May in 2006 and found quite a bit hadn’t yet opened for summer.

Or as starrs suggested you can combine Venice and Paris, with a direct flight back home. Take a look at some travel guides and come back with a tentative plan and we’re happy to help.

Originally Posted by bvlenci (Post 17015876)
You won't be sure to find snow in May unless you go high in the mountains. In Switzerland, as someone said already, it's too late for skiing and too early for hiking, so a lot of hotel owners take a break and go to Tenerife.

Dear all, thank you for suggestions,

I would like to inforkm you that my return flight is from Zurich so was thinking 2 days in Venice , 2 days in Slovenia & 3 days in Switzerland . is it good plan?
Ofcource the snow can be seen in Alps, i need your suggestions which alps can be visited to have best view, Mt Titlis OR Jungfrau OR Klein Matterhorn? Suggest me travel and cost wise also.

Regards,
Chethan

starrs Nov 13th, 2019 07:07 PM

Take your wife to Paris.
Seriously.
If she's never been to Europe, take her to Paris. There's no place like it.

"so was thinking 2 days in Venice , 2 days in Slovenia & 3 days in Switzerland "
You've not listened to any advice. 2 days = 1 day to explore and 1 day to travel.
1 day is not enough time to give ANY of the places its due.
You aren't going to accept any of the advice so zip through wherever you want to go however fast you want to do it.
If I were your wife, I'd stay home. You are traveling 3 days out of the 7. Actually 4 days out of the 7 because your last day is a departure day.

Evidently that's the kind of vacation YOU want. Do it.

IMO you need at least three days to see and enjoy Venice. You need at least three days to see and enjoy Paris. But you prefer moving and not seeing/ enjoying so there's your answer.

ChethanSP29 Nov 13th, 2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17016016)
Take your wife to Paris.
Seriously.
If she's never been to Europe, take her to Paris. There's no place like it.

"so was thinking 2 days in Venice , 2 days in Slovenia & 3 days in Switzerland "
You've not listened to any advice. 2 days = 1 day to explore and 1 day to travel.
1 day is not enough time to give ANY of the places its due.
You aren't going to accept any of the advice so zip through wherever you want to go however fast you want to do it.
If I were your wife, I'd stay home. You are traveling 3 days out of the 7. Actually 4 days out of the 7 because your last day is a departure day.

Evidently that's the kind of vacation YOU want. Do it.

IMO you need at least three days to see and enjoy Venice. You need at least three days to see and enjoy Paris. But you prefer moving and not seeing/ enjoying so there's your answer.

Thank you Starrs, for your advice. I seeing possibilities. As my wife first time visiting to Europe. both of us have not seen the snow so thought we can visit any alps to see & play in snow.
Yes Paris is a wonderful suggestion and will plan for it.

starrs Nov 14th, 2019 04:16 AM

Your travel style is obviously "moving around a lot". Do what works for you.
""so was thinking 2 days in Venice , 2 days in Slovenia & 3 days in Switzerland "
That plan is 1 day in two places and 2 days in one place. That's "too fast" for many of us, but after a lot of input from many of us it's still what calls to you.
This is your trip. Do what works for you.

ChethanSP29 Nov 14th, 2019 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17016095)
Your travel style is obviously "moving around a lot". Do what works for you.
""so was thinking 2 days in Venice , 2 days in Slovenia & 3 days in Switzerland "
That plan is 1 day in two places and 2 days in one place. That's "too fast" for many of us, but after a lot of input from many of us it's still what calls to you.
This is your trip. Do what works for you.

I agree with you starrs. Now I have decided two places in 7 days.
Suggest me which works good
Paris and Amsterdam OR
Venice and Switzerland OR
Zagreb and Slovenia OR
Any other suggestions which is must visit?
I can forego snow as I can see it on other time and in other places in winter trip.
​​​​​​

StCirq Nov 14th, 2019 07:23 AM

You're still going to Bratislava for work, right?

Well, then, pick two places close to Bratislava. As was already suggested above, Budapest and Ljubljana work well. It will be a lot of traveling to get west, so why not work with what you've got?