Switzerland in February

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland in February

Just came up with a new plan in the last few hours.
Quit my job. Last day Wednesday, January 13th. Strongly considering a short (7-8 night) trip to Switzerland to celebrate, as joy has been absent in my life for the last year.

This will be my about-15th trip to German-speaking counties. This HAS to be my timeline so my intensive job-hunting can commence ASAP thereafter.

I want something familiar, and no-hassle, so considering Bern, Zurich or Lucerne.
I know the downsides to winter travel(cold/snow, shorter daylight, no boating or hiking). Any personal stories of upsides? (I will not be participating in winter sports. Had foot surgery x2 last year, and not quite 6 months out.)
No problem with city walking, museums, etc
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 09:28 PM

Hi mokka4,

Congratulations on your bold move!! I know how scary changes like this can be -- but I'm certain your move will get you to a better situation overall.

My suggestion might be too early for you. I am thinking of the Snow Festival in Grindelwald, where they have an ice sculpting contest that covers several days; one year I got to see the sculptures growing and taking shape through the week. This year, it is 18 - 23 January, so, again, probably too early for your wishes.

http://www.carnifest.com/events/swit...ival-2016.aspx

There are also the world-famous Lauberhorn ski races, centered in Wengen, at about the same time, 15-17 January. I was in Wengen one year to see it, and the beautiful village filled up with media, fur-clad fans, coaches, spectators, athletes . . it was thrilling. You don't need to be on the pistes to enjoy the atmosphere.

Otherwise, I would head to a lake, where winter weather gives you kaleidoscope colors and cloud formations. Yes, I think Luzern is a good idea, and maybe even one of the smaller towns around the lake, like Brunnen. The lake steamers run throughout the year because residents use them for transport (just not as frequently, I think).

Another idea might be someplace like Gstaad or Chateau d'Oex. You can take excursions daily with the local busses or trains, going to lakes and nearby towns (Grueyers, Bulle, Montreux/Vevey, Rougemont, Lenk, Saanen). All those places are within 2h of Gstaad or Chateau d'Oex.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 12:25 AM
kja

BYH, mokka, and best of wishes on all fronts!

Although it isn't on your list, I found an extraordinary number of unexpected laugh-out-loud moments -- literally, laugh-out-loud moments -- in Basel. Such delightful public art and juxtapositions of the serious and the frivolous! Add that to the delightful toy museum in Riehan for another dash of smiles....
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:42 AM

Living in Basel, I'm always happy when someone recommends our city

I know that a few posters like to talk about how boring it is, but if they haven't been here in the last 18 months of so, they haven't seen how much has been done. The area around Muensterplatz has been beautifully restored, for example.

Although the main art museum won't reopen until April, masterpieces from its collection can be seen at the Museum für Gegenwartskunst until Feb 21. And of course there is Fastnacht week starting Monday, Feb 15.

There are some really nice walks you can take in the Basel area -- there are extensive paths around the Beyeler or out by the vineyards in Ettingen or through the woods up to the castle ruins in Leymen or, my personal favorite, from Titterten down to Reigoldswil. Take the scenic bus from Liestal. First, the bus ride goes through picture perfect villages and countryside, the walk into Reigoldswil is lovely and serene, and you can reward yourself with home made pastries and coffee at the little cafe near the bus stop in Reigoldswil. Then walk through the small town up to the gondolas and woods before catching the bus back to Liestal.

You also can use Basel as your base for excursions into Alsace and to Freiburg.

Two less expensive, but still very comfortable hotels, include the Wettstein at the edge of Klein Basel and the Ibis Styles by the popular Gundeli neighborhood with its cafes and restaurants.

Gstaad also sounds like a good choice for all the reasons listed above. You don't have to stay in Gstaad itself, of course, Saanen and Schönried make good nearby bases.

I shot some video of the Gstaad area in winter, would be happy to send it to you via wetransfer.com
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks weissertee!

Will definitely research these Basel hotel options as I had been considering your town for my (canceled) October 2015 trip....
Don't want to 'stretch my wings' into any further/new territories on this trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 06:24 AM

I am a Californian and have visited Zurich, Bern and Lucerne in the last five years in January. I have enjoyed all of them but Basel is my favorite. I have visited Basel almost yearly and have never been bored.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 06:29 AM

If you pick Basel, depending on your travel dates, I might be able to give you a tour into the tallest building in Switzerland. I'll be moving into an office there in March but already have access. We've got a crap weather forecast this week, but if there's a sunny period, I'll take a photo of my view (my office is on a higher floor with view of the Rhine, the heart of the city, and the Swiss/Alsace countryside) and post it as my profile photo.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 07:16 AM

It's a pity that the fabulous exhibition in the Schaulager ends by 31 January.

But Basel still has enough modern art to fascinate you. Also, there are many things in the surroundings of Basel:

- Fondation Beyeler for modern art. http://www.fondationbeyeler.ch//

- The Vitra Design Museum in Weil am Rhein on the German side: http://www.design-museum.de

Daytrips by train are possible to Freiburg (0:41), Colmar (0:44), Luzern (1:01), Bern (0:53 - another beautiful city with lots of historical charm and more modern art), Zürich (0:53).

Certainly enough to keep you occupied and gain new energy.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!
Some serious, but fun, research ahead!
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it absolutely have to be in German-speaking Switzerland or are you willing to endure some French along Lac Leman?
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apologies. Just saw your stated desire not to venture into "new" territory.