Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Switzerland in April - to go or not to go?

Switzerland in April - to go or not to go?

Jan 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland in April - to go or not to go?

We are considering going to Switzerland in April. While I know that this is not the best time of year to visit, what kind of weather should we expect? Is April an okay(ish) time to visit Switzerland or should we consider going somewhere else? Thanks.
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM

Hi SWilliams,

April is good for the Ticino and for any city like Zuerich, Basel, Bern, Thun, etc.

April is ok for the Lake Geneva region (I think the tulip festival in Morges is in April or early May), maybe for the Saanenland, central Switzerland, & Fribourg.

April would be less than ok for mountain areas if you're not a skier. If you are a skier, then you could find some ok runs.

Good luck!

s
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM

What are you interested in seeing in Switzerland. That will help answer the question. I would not suggest any ideas of hiking in the mountains!!

Jan 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM

We were in Switzerland two years ago during the first 3rd of April. Along the shores of Lac Leman the forsythia was in bloom. Up in Zermatt there was little snow in the village but a great deal up above; same with Brig....no snow anywhere but when moving East and up into The Goms the landscape was completely snow-covered. No snow in Luzern but plenty over the Brunig Pass.

Bottom line: mild enough on one day to eat outside along the lakeshore in Geneva and to walk around at lower elevations. Great time to go in one other respect: NO crowds of visitors.
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

We are not interested in skiing.

We would like to see the scenic sites and are interested in culture and history.
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM

Switzerland is worth visiting anytime IMO. April is not the worst time. As previous posters mentioned, you can choose between early spring along the lakes and in the cities and late winter in the mountains. I personally have been to St. Moritz skiing and cross-country skiing in April and had tons of snow, and I have also been to Ticino in April and enjoyed the blooming flowers.

You can experience culture and history in both cities and mountain areas, so that doesn't help us for advising properly. Switzerland is scenic almost everywhere, so this doesn't help either.

If you don't intend to do skiing I suggest either Ticino, Lake Geneva, Lake Lucerne or Lake Thun as destination. How much time will you have? Any preferences on Swiss-German, French or Italian ambience?

Forget weather. It is not predictable, in particular in April.

Search this Thread