Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switzerland Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switzerland-help-498146/)

lnd9jo Jan 24th, 2005 07:53 PM

Switzerland Help

I will be in Arosa Febuary 11-13 Friday Thru Sunday. I still have another two days to spend in another part of Switzerland. I am landing in zurich from paris.

What destination would you choose? I will be arriving in Zurich at 12:oo Wednesday Febuary 9 I have one extra day, should I head directly to Arosa and enjoy the sights over their? Or should I go from Zurich to Lucerne 0:50 minutes, go to pilatus and then sleep in lucern. Head to arosa Thursday morning?

Or how about Zurich to Interlaken? Jungfrau sleep in Interlaken and the head to Arosa. Interlaken to Arosa is very far over 4 hours. Is it not worth it to travel so far for Jungfrau.
My cousin just gave me advice that Switzerland is so spectatcular. Everything is mountains and arosa is just as nice as Jungfau.

Thank You

Patrick Jan 24th, 2005 08:06 PM

Arosa is just as nice as Jungfrau? Did this person say that with a straight face? Arosa is pretty -- but it is no Jungfrau/Grindelwald!

If you want something other than mountains, though how about staying near Zurich -- or in the pretty little town of Rapperswil on the lake, getting closer to Arosa?

Staying in Lucerne and doing the trip up Pilatus is nice too.

Or head direct to Arosa, and use that time later to take the spectacular train trip down to St. Moritz or further through the Bernina Pass to Poschiavo?

gradyghost Jan 25th, 2005 02:42 AM

Patrick: Your mention of Rapperswil brings back some wonderful memories of a dinner I had in a restaurant there 25 years ago. I was staying in Zurich and we took the regularly scheduled boat that travels to various spots on the lake (I believe it's called the Zurich Zee sp?) including Rapperswil, and walked a block or so to the restaurant. My colleagues knew the chef and he prepared at least 6 courses of fantastic dishes with a Swiss wine with each. We have passed through that delightful town a number of times since on the train (which we took to return to Zurich after dinner that evening). I wish I could recall or learn the name of that resturant because I would love to return. Thanks for the memory. Gradyghost.

Intrepid1 Jan 25th, 2005 02:53 AM

Hopefully this thread will not turn into the usual "which is the prettiest part of Switzerland?" routine, as if anyone could actually name a part of that country that ISN'T "spectacular" in one way or another...

My only caution about going to Pilatus would be the same one I always offer about ascending the Gornergrat in Zermatt....the weather at the top, or just below the top, may totally obscure any views. Lucern itself is worth a day IMO; Interlaken, to me, has always seemed more like a jumping off point, particularly in Winter, for the Lauterbrunnen valley, etc.

Enjoy your trip..it is hard to go far wrong in Switzerland.

LynnP Jan 25th, 2005 03:17 AM

If you travel to Rapperswil from Zurich you can get the Voralpen Express from Rapperswil to Lucerne. It is a fantastic train trip and much nicer than the one to Lucerne from Zurich. I think it is worth the trip to Lucerne and Pilatus to have a variety. The Jungfrau is fabulous but it does take a long time and is very pricy. You can't really go wrong in Switzerland for scenery though.

Gradyghost, I live in Rapperswil and would be happy to help you recall the restaurant if you want to give me any tips on what it looked like.

Cheers, Lynn

gradyghost Jan 25th, 2005 04:22 PM

Dear Lynn: Thanks for volunteering; I envy your good fortune of living in such a nice place. My recollection is that the restaurant may have been associated with a hotel (not a surprise). I recall beautiful dark wood on the walls and a traditional setting of banquettes on each side with facing chairs. My guess is that there probably are not too many premier restaurants in the town, although that may be erroneous. This restaurant certainly would qualify. Thanks for your consideration. Gradyghost.

LynnP Jan 26th, 2005 06:44 AM

Hi again gradyghost. Rapperswil is now quite a thriving tourist town and there are many restaurants now, one has two Michelin stars but that is in the castle which I think would stand out in your memory!

If you weren't on the lake front and it was attached to a hotel rather than a guest house or pub then you might have been in the Jakob Hotel Restaurant. You leave the railway station and either walk a short distance along a street and then walk up a small incline or walk up a small incline and then along a street when you come out onto a large square that ends in the steps up to the castle. The Jakob is on that square. It is still very nice but now has an Italian flavour. If you don't think this is it or want to chat further about it my email is lynny at bluewin dot ch.

We are very lucky to live in such a beautiful place, until I had my daughter recently I worked in Lucerne three days a week and used the Voralpen Express as my daily commute. Talk about spoiled!

Cheers, Lynn

Wayne Jan 26th, 2005 07:01 AM

Could be that gradyghost remembers the same hotel I have stayed in years ago, with an excellent restaurant. Without looking up the name, I believe it was Hotel Schwanen, facing the lake and the promenade. Hope this helps.

gradyghost Jan 26th, 2005 03:23 PM

Wow, I really appreciate the interest of Lynn and Wayne in an oldtime memory. I will now attempt to contact my colleagues who were with me at that restaurant and pass along any additional information. The notion of some stars being assigned to the restaurant by Michelin makes sense to me. Thanks again and stand by. Gradyghost

akiace Jan 26th, 2005 03:39 PM

Lucerne is such a lovely place. I went last May and stayed for five nights. But I'm not sure of the weather there in Feb. May rain alot...

gradyghost Jan 28th, 2005 01:57 AM

To Lynn and Wayne: My colleagues' recollection is that the restaurant we visited 25 years ago was in a hotel within an easy walk of the ship dock in Rapperswil. They remembered that we had a dish called "Chateau of Veal" which none of us has seen or heard of since. It was magnificent. I'm sure that much has changed in the town but the recollection and your interest is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gradyghost

jmw44 Jan 29th, 2005 04:52 AM

Note to Lynn: Many years ago we stayed in Rapperswil for seven nights, and traveled the train route that runs across the lake and then by Biberbrugg, Altmatt, and Sattel (I think). It was one of the most beautiful routes in my memory. We used it several times. You are indeed lucky. There was one particular stop from which I saw houses straggling up the greenest of hillsides. When I'm particularly stressed, I imagine being there. J.