Southend on Sea Airport

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southend on Sea Airport

Hello. Has anyone flown into this airport? We are thinking of using it for a flight from Venice. Experience with car rental facilities? Idea of time to pick up car, get out of airport and drive to Ayot St Lawrence? Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Only used it to fly out of - by which I mean me sitting in the pilot's seat, with an instructor next to me manifestly worried whether he'd see his loved ones ever again.

Drive time from the airport to Wheathampstead (where I was living while learning to fly, and a couple of miles from Ayot St Lawrence) was usually 90 mins or so. But mostly on the M25, which can be iffy. In theory there's an alternative (M25 to M11, then A414 to Welwyn Garden), but that actually clogs up even more readily. Just accept that you might be stuck at one of the M25's blackspots: keep your RDS switched on, and carry a cheap atlas from the first petrol station you pass on the A127.

Southend currently gets about one arrival (at least one piloted by someone who knows what he's doing) every 30 mins, mostly full of returning East Londoners. The one-man car hire booths should be able to handle that painlessly - but if there are more than a couple of foreigners wanting cars on your plane, the resultant queue might take as long as the flight, and probably longer than the hassle around the A10 intersection on the M25.

It's about 100 yds' walk from the booths in the terminal to the actual cars.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume that you are looking at the Easyjet flight from Venice to what they call London Southend. Hertz appear to have a desk there but apart from that, I can't help much. it doesn't look very big, and therefore it ought to be pretty quick getting out of there.

you might also consider Ryanair from Treviso to Stanstead, which might be more convenient for onward travel to Ayot St. Lawrence.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM

It's a tiny little airport only just really coming into real commercial use. Tiny. Think field.

but it's great - extremely quick in and out, no queues, no hassle!
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a tiny little airport only just really coming into real commercial use. Tiny. Think field.>>

have you ever flown into Newquay?

they have refurbished it recently, but before that when we came back from one trip and asked where the luggage reclaim was, they directed us to a trestle table.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:16 PM

brilliant!