Switzerland. Drive or Golden Pass Train?

Apr 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland. Drive or Golden Pass Train?

Hi Everyone. Hope you can guide me in the right direction regarding the Berner Oberland portion of our trip. We will arrive Switzerland from Semur-en-Auxois, France mid-September with our lease car, and my question is this; Is it just as enjoyable sightseeing-wise to drive from Montreaux to Interlaken, or to enjoy it should it really be done on the Golden Pass train trip? If we did the train trip we would do it roundtrip from Interlaken and that would take an entire day but that is fine if it is the better option. Is it reasonable to do it on our way to Lauterbrunnen from France as a long sightseeing day? In your opinion what route is the best for beautiful views. Also, is it still green and beautiful that time of year? Thank you.
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM

Train. Always the train in Switzerland. Grab a few picnic items, including wine, and actually enjoy the trip.

s
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM

We've done both driving and train on Geneve-Montreaux-Gstaad/Saanen-Interlaken.
I must say there were some scary curves esp between Montreaux-Saanen part. Both were quite enjoyable, but I must say I'm tempted to recommend trains. The only reason we drove were the luggages and small children.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I think we will set aside a day for the train, as most on this site correctly state that the driver doesn't get to see much when driving but the train will give us both a relaxing day. I played around on the Golden Pass site and the total price for two people roundtrip Interlaken to Montreaux was only something like $25. That can't possibly be right. Do you think we can book it once we are in Interlaken as our activities will depend on the weather? We will be there for three or four days. Thank you
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM

Hi michele d,

Yes, absolutely, you can wait and book it when you're in Interlaken. I've taken the trip many times from Montreux-Gstaad, and only once used reservations (there are many trains that go on this route without being the GP), and that once I made reservations the night before.

You'll enjoy it!

s
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Oh thank you swandav2000, I was hoping I could book the trip there. Worse case scenario if we didn't get tickets there is that we would drive it on our way from Interlaken to Colmar. It's one less thing I have to worry about before we go. Thank you
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM

We haven't used the service ourselves, but I understand swiss railway system allows you to forward luggages from/to airport if you're flying Swiss air. Something you might want to consider.