Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Switzerland and Northern Italy/Lake region

Switzerland and Northern Italy/Lake region

Feb 20th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland and Northern Italy/Lake region

Help needed for newbies whose travels in the past have been limited to (off the beaten path) islands of the Caribbean (two couples, 3 kids ages between 7-8). Initially we were thinking Tuscanny in June but due to work conflicts we will need to go some time in late july/early august. So we have changed plans and want to cover switzerland and the lake region in northern italy. Our priorities are scenary, quiet, wineries and some diversion for the kids. We prefer places that are less touristy. Not particularly interested in big cities either. We have approx 12 days. Based on our priorities and intitial research I've come up with the following list of places -

Fly in to Zurich. Train to Leuterbrunnen region - Muerren, Wegnen, Jungfraujich. Pick a hotel base and cover the other towns in day trips - approx 5 days
Bernina Express sounds awesome - not sure how I weave it into the plan
Between Lake Lugano and Lake Como I'm leaning towards Lugano to avoid the crowds. However Tremezzo on Lake Como could be a possibility. - approx 4 days
Fly out of Milan or Venice (if we can squeeze in an extra day to get there and sightsee??)
In the past we have always prefered to rent a rent. Based on what I've read it does not make sense to rent a car in Switzerland. May be worth having a rental for a few days in northern italy.

Would appreciate help from the experts on whether I'm on the right track based on our interests. Any places that are must see that I've missed? How difficult is the travelling going to be between places with kids/luggage etc. Any other helpful hints.
Feb 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM

You can certainly drive from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen. But if you want to stay in Mürren or Wengen, you don't have a choice of transportation. You must take a train/cable cars. Cars are not allowed to go up to the higher ground towns. So, your car will sit idle collecting the parking fee while you visit the BO. Then when you head to Italy, you probably want to ditch your car somewhere in Switzerland to avoid the international drop-off fee.
Feb 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Search this Thread