Search

SWitzerland 8 days in early June 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWitzerland 8 days in early June 2016

Aug 13, 2015, 12:36 AM

We are a family of 3 (2 Adults and 1 child 9 years), planning our next summer vacations in Switzerland for about 8 days. We start early June 2016

We would be reaching ZURICH and then straight away want to reach the mountain region of BERN for about 3 days and would like to take the many side trips everyday to enjoy it to the most

How would be the WEATHER?

Next 3 days in INTERLAKEN OR WENGEN OR LAUTERBRUNNEN and again day trip to Jangfrouj etc

Next 2 days in Luzern & back to Zurich airport

I am thinking of buying the 8 day family pass OR should i buy any other pass ?? I

I think i have to buy 2 Adult passes which cost about CHF363/- x2 = CHF726/(2nd class) for our family of 3 people

Based on above, could you kindly suggest

1. Is my itinerary fine and doable, what other choice can you people advise for a first ever visit to Switzerland

2. Can i get a reasonable double bed in CHF100-120/- with breakfast? Can u recommend any hotels?

3. Dont want to spend much on eating, we will only be using the road side eateries like Donner etc or fast food or sandwiches, what will be the approx cost

4. WE wont be going to museums (maybe 1-2 for an hour or so), but rest of the the time we would like to take trips that show us the SWISS NATURAL BEAUTY, Which other expenses will i have to bear for the TRIPS, keeping in mind that I'll be having a 8 day swiss pass

5. Should i take the trip to JUNGFRAU from Interlaken or Bern ? and how much does this trip cost?

Your suggestions and feedback would certainly help me in evaluating my budget and make a nice trip for my family

thanks a lot
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:45 AM

Sorry - but Bern is not in the mountains - its in the lowlands in the center of the country. And while cute I definitely do not think it's worth more than 1 day to visit the town.

Interlaken is at the base of the Jungfrau and you need to go from there up the mountain. Or you can stay in one of the villages in the foothills and make the ascent from there.

You don;t need a double room since there are 3 of you - you have to get a triple - esp since your daughter is not an infant.

And I'm sorry but Switz is very expensive and I don;t think our budget will give you many budget options. This is not out price point so I don;t have personal experience - but I took a quick look at a couple of the discount hotel sites and none has anything available for Interlaken for less than about 150 francs for a triple room and that was only one or two places. You might get something for less in one of the smaller towns but suggest you will need to up your budget.

Also can;t help with food costs - again not our price point. But for one example of fast food a MickeyD's meal costs about 10 francs - but you may take out sandwiches from a supermarket for less.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM

How about first half of your stay in Lucerne and the 2nd in Berner Oberland region? While in Lucerne, you can do the mountains like Pilaus, Rigi or Titlis. You can also visit the city of Berne if you like.

> Should i take the trip to JUNGFRAU from Interlaken or Bern

From neither. I'm confused. If you are staying in Lauterbrunne or Wengen, you are already on the way to Jungfraujoch.

Your budget could be a problem to match Swiss prices. Early June which is low to mid season (beginning of summer season), you may find a good deal. Have a look on the sites such as booking.com to have an general idea of prices. Early June, hiking trails of higher altitude may still be closed, but there are still enough areas where you can walk I suppose.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

I guess Ill be staying in WENGEN, so would it be a day trip to the highest reachable peak JUNGFRAU

what is the cost of going there (cable ride or train)
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 04:57 AM

Without any pass or half-fare card, I believe the cost would be around CHF170/person (€156) roundtrip from Wengen to Jungfraujoch. For a child, it would be half of that amount. We had a pass and I believe we paid about CHF125 or so.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Jungfraujoch is by far NOT the highest railway/gondola station of Switzerland, but the Jungfrau railway is the most expensive mountain railway for sure: round trip fare from Interlaken 210 USD/pax.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The only accommodation I'm aware of in your price range in the Berner Oberland is this place in Lauterbrunnen:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p979

We stayed here once, we weren't too keen on the place, way too small for us, but many people seem to like it and if budget is your main criteria, it might work for you. Ideal location right in Lauterbrunnen a stone's throw from the train station and funicular. Lauterbrunnen is a very convenient place from which to see the Berner Oberland, as it's a transport hub of sorts.

You might luck into an apartment owner willing to rent for less than a week so early in the season in Wengen, but it will involve some research on your part.

http://www.wengen.com/hotapa.html

As for the weather...unpredictable.

You're not going to find 'roadside eateries' in the alpine villages, but bakeries are a good bet for an inexpensive lunch and breakfast provisions, as is the local COOP store. Do check opening hours though so you're not caught out.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 05:04 PM

Agree to double check the opening hours of places to eat. I have worked with a client in Switz and several people there told me how frustrating it was when things closed tight at 6 pm - that they were used to being open 24 hours - or at least until 9pm in other places they have lived.

We have taken the client out to dinner in Basel and found ourselves the last one there at 9 PM (when one would often be sitting down to eat in many other places).