EuroRailways or RailEurope for train reservations France and Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two different quotes from the two websites and wondered which one was the most recommended. Also how far in advance do I need to book for a reserved seat? A week? Longer?
Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:00 AM

Neither. For France, use www.voyage-sncf.com or www.capitainetrain.com; for Italy use trenitalia.com. I've never heard of Eurorail, but RailEurope charges higher prices for just about everything.

Advance reservations are a far better deal for many trips, but it depends on the type of train you're reserving. For TGVs and some other trains in France, you get the best prices by reserving 3 months out from your date of travel. As your travel date approaches, the prices go up. On TER trains, the prices are always the same, so it doesn't matter. Others can advise you about Italian train prices.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Not much to add to what St Cirq said other than I just saved my sister and her friend about 44% booking on voyage-sncf as opposed to RailEurope.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. However, I should have noted that I was traveling from France to Italy. voyage-snf merely linked to Rail Europe.

Should have booked a few months earlier!
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:03 AM

There are loads of threads here about how not to allow SNCF to link you to Rail Europe if you need to read the site in English. You go to www.voyages-sncf.com and plug Antartica in as your country and you will stay on the SNCF site in English without being redirected to Rail Europe.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:09 AM

that should be www.voyages-sncf.com and yes they will throw you over to their subsidiary they own (along with the Swiss Railways as a minority stakehodler) put the U S in as your country of residence (Canada too) - so put in the U.K., Anartica, etc and then you may be able to make the site work - there are lots of complaints so it ain't so easy as some would make it out - lots of posted frustrations using both the French site and its Italian counterpart - www.trenitalia.com.

and when checking ticket prices check for both first and second class as sometimes the first class price may not be much more than 2nd class and if even vaguely close go first class as there are significant benefits to it - much more relaxed in many ways - not to say 2nd class is a cattle car but there are reasons why folks pay more for 1st class.

Note that the discounted tickets StCirq is on about are non-changeble non-refundable (presenting problems for folks arriving by air and wanting to take the next train out - leave lots of fudge factor time since they are not changeable nor refundable and if you miss it you'll have to buy a full-fare ticket on site - one reason Raileurope charges more is that they are generally selling full-fare and fully flexible tickets and not the train-specific discounted tickets that can't be changed nor refunded and have to be booked in stone yes up to 3 months in advance as they are sold in limited numbers. But you can save money.

and do check RailEurope as well as at times they can be cheaper - I did a search last week where RE was the cheapest on fares Paris to Nice - cheaper than anything on www.voyages-sncf.com - though that may be unusual it was true on the random date I picked.

For lots of great stuff on French and Italian trains I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sources - www.seat61.com - click on his commercial link to RailEurope for RE fares; www.rickstves.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id8.html.

If it's not a TGV savings may be none so just buy those tickets on arrival - have no fear of not being able to book trains once there - ever IME.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM

It's not just TGV discounts. Last June I went from Paris to Limoges for 15€, tickets ordered 3 months in advance.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Correction: Paris to Brive-la-Gaillarde
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM

I think Corail TEOZ trains, which mandate seat reservations are like TGV trains - have discounts.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:19 PM

<i>EuroRailways or RailEurope for train reservations France and Italy
Posted by: rcartinc on Aug 6, 13 at 1:44pm
I have two different quotes from the two websites and wondered which one was the most recommended. Also how far in advance do I need to book for a reserved seat? A week? Longer?
Thanks.</i>

When are you going? For an illustrated introduction to using the trains in Europe see http://tinyurl.com/eym5b. I suggest that you call B.E.T.S. linked at http://tinyurl.com/339uf5, They are in Ann Arbor and Byron or Linda can help you.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>However, I should have noted that I was traveling from France to Italy.<<<

If you are trying to book the Thello night train, then book on their website.

https://www.thello.com/

Some trains can be booked 90 days in advance and others 120 days (Trenitalia).
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM

There are loads of threads here about how not to allow SNCF to link you to Rail Europe if you need to read the site in English. You go to www.voyages-sncf.com and plug Antartica in as your country>

they have a special rate for penguins!
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Correction: Paris to Brive-la-Gaillarde>

Ah from Austerlitz station - via the old mainline before the TGV Sud-Est came about - much faster via TGV but the old routing to me is more scenic but those trains IME of seeing many go thru Les Aubrais where my 2nd home is - jammed packed for at least the first part of the journey - curious as if the 19 e discounted ticket came with a seat reservation or not - assume it did if they are mandatory but not sure on that train they were mandatory - or did you pay an extra fee for a seat reservation?

curious - thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Advance reservations are a far better deal for many trips, but it depends on the type of train you're reserving. For TGVs and some other trains in France, you get the best prices by reserving 3 months out from your date of travel. As your travel date approaches, the prices go up. On TER trains, the prices are always the same, so it doesn't matter. Others can advise you about Italian train prices.>

ditto for Italian trains - substitute regional trains for TER trains, which have a flat fare and will not even take reservations.