Notices

Switzerland

Jul 26th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland

Hi everyone

We're planning a trip this December through Europe starting in Zurich. We have four days to spend there and then we'll head to Italy. I've thought of going straight either to Lucern or Bern. Even having our base in Zurich. I'd love to go down to Italy travelling on a panoramic train. Any suggestions where to stay? I'd love to feel the mountains environment but would rather see art and do some sightseeing. Is the weather an issue to walk down the streets?
Thank you guys for any advice!
Jul 26th, 2015, 11:49 PM

I start with the weather. Down in the cities, there will probably no snow, rather rain. Raingear is mandatory. In the mountains, there will be snowfall, but the Swiss are very professional in clearing the roads.

Be aware that days are short in December. Daylight will be between 9:00 and 16:00. It will be overcast, cold and rainy. It is a good time to visit museums and galleries.

Which base?

Your options are Zürich, Luzern, Bern.

Luzern is a small historic town which is very picturesque. It is on a lake (which is not too much fun in December) and is close to the mountains (which might be in clouds in December). Otherwise, there is not too much to do in Luzern.

Zürich is a large city with a charming old town on both banks of the little river Limmat, has museums, cathedrals and also the feeling of a big, modern city.

Bern is a historic city with lots of historic charm and also very good art museums. For seeing art, Bern would be the best place.

Whereever you base yourself, you will not make a mistake. All three cities are one hour apart from each other - there are excellent train connections!
Jul 27th, 2015, 02:48 AM

There are outstanding museums in all towns you mention, in Basel too.
Panoramic trains: make only sense if the weather is not too bad. A train ride throug thick fog is nothing to write home about. In any case, try to do the scenic legs before 16.00; it will get dark afterwards.
Weather: in winter, there is often thick fog over the midlands and sun in the mountains, above all in the Canton of Valais. If this will be the case, go to places like Riederalp or Montana (easy day trips from Berne, resp. along the way from Berne to Italy).

Search this Thread