Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switching around Itinerary to fly around less! Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switching-around-itinerary-to-fly-around-less-help-518175/)

hedgepath Apr 3rd, 2005 03:30 PM

Switching around Itinerary to fly around less! Help!

In order to fly a little bit less in Turkey it was suggested that we fly straight through to Cappadocia once we land in Istanbul from the states (instead of our orig. idea of spending 2 nights first in Istanbul). Then, b/c we want to see Ephesus, to fly from Ankara to Secluk for 2 nights to see Ephesus. From there, we want to go down to the coast -- but do not want the cookie cutter, tacky resorts that I hear have overtaken the coast. How could we get to Kalkan, stay in a nice place there, take short boat trips and still see the coast and maybe more ruins -- without having to fly back to Istanbul. I am now thinking about NOT taking a short Blue Voyage. From Kalkan, can take a boat to Oludeniz and another short trip to Olympos -- is this too spread out? Can I peacefully skip Bodrum? I know I can skip Marmaris.

Then, we will end up flying back to Istanbul for 3 nights. Originally, I wanted to end our trip on the coast (relaxing -- not dealing with Istanbul touring) -- but since we have to fly back to Istanbul anyway, I figured this might be more practical.

I really need some "expert" advice here. Please reply.

Thanks.

ira Apr 4th, 2005 04:48 AM

sinan Apr 4th, 2005 06:56 AM

Hi hedgepath,

Fly to Kayseri for your Cappadocia tour then go to Ankara visit Anatolian museum then take a bus OR you may fly to Izmir then to Selcuk(75 KM) I recomend you rent a car after Ephesus you can drive to Kas or Kalkan for your rest of your trip stay here then take a daily trip to anywhere you want and rest.

Have a nice holiday in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz

gurcan Apr 10th, 2005 04:10 AM

I think, you could easily skip Bodrum, If you are after peace and quite. The The joke is that Bodrum now spread over three counties. Much different to old jewel in the crown (Shame!!). I think it is now for 18-30 and for those looking for loud nightlife.

I would bypass Ankara, if I could, and spent more time on the rest. Ankara may be quite dissapointing as a busy Capital city, mainly built after 1950s.

Have a good time in Turkey.

whedgepath Apr 10th, 2005 08:53 PM

Thanks to all your suggestions. My trip is either going to be 11 nights or 13 nights. How long is the drive from Cappadocia to Antalya? What if I don't want to stop at Olympos and go straight to Kalkan --would you still suggest to drive or better to fly? Or how long is the drive from Cappadocia to Ephesus? And then from there how to get to Kalkan? Thanks again.

propertravel Apr 11th, 2005 07:45 AM

The best way for you would be to drive to Antalya via Tourus mountains with a possible stop in Konya. 560 Km.s or approx. 6,5 - 7 hours drive directly.

I would suggest an overnight before Kalkan; two reasons ; 1- you will be so tired when you arrive to Kalkan even if you drive via mountain road.2- the road from shore is beautiful and you can do many visits while driving already and driving person needs to put some consantration on the road as there are some curves after each other.

You can not fly to Kalkan. Nearest airport is Dalaman ( 2 hours drive ) and can be reached only via istanbul. To drive Ephesus and Back to Kalkan would be vaste of time unless : you fly back istanbul and continue to izmir. Do the Ephesus bit and hire car and drive coastal road till Kalkan.
Its hardly possible to drive Ephesus directly from Cappadocia. I did it twice and wont repeat it. You need to break the journney somewhere in between.

Have a good time in Turkey.

Did I mention about weather conditions !