Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Switched our apartment in Barcelona; would welcome feedback (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/switched-our-apartment-in-barcelona-would-welcome-feedback-832488/)

opaldog Mar 24th, 2010 07:00 AM

Switched our apartment in Barcelona; would welcome feedback

To make a long story short, I switched my November apartment rental from El Born to Eixample. Now I am doubting my decision to do that and know that I can't just keep going back and forth on it. The apartments are through the same agency, www.habitatapartments.com They both looked good and were the same price. Links are: http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...view/born3.htm and http://www.habitatapartments.com/en/...ew/pedrera.htm So, now we are reserved for the Pedrera apartment.

I switched apartments because as I've never been to Barcelona I thought that the Eixample area would be easier to get to from the airport and as I'm not a nightclubber, quieter at night. I also read a report by Nikki on this forum that kind of sold me on it. Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice. My husband says not to worry, we've never been and either area/apartment will be fine. Feedback anyone? I'm feeling "insecure" about my decision.

danon Mar 24th, 2010 07:10 AM

You will be just fine...Pedrera is on the most beautiful street in Barcelona (IMO) ..a few minutes to several Gaudi buildings, the best shops, a zillion restaurants.
We are going to Barcelona for a fourth time next month - I booked an apt. in Eixample !
One can always get to El Born by talking a short metro ride or walking 15-20 minutes.
Barcelona is a fantastic city and your location is excellent!

SUMMAGOLD Mar 24th, 2010 07:10 AM

if you are not into clubbing or bars, you wont regret it. L'Eixample is a really pretty part of barcelona. it is equivalent to ny's park avenue/5th avenue. depending on where your apartment will be (off Passeig de Gracia?) should be walking distance to Gaudi's Casa Batlló, maybe a 10-15 minute walk to Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. On Metro, 3 quick stops to Las Ramblas.

danon Mar 24th, 2010 07:19 AM

actually, Las Ramblas ( not my favorite place) is under 10 minutes walk from your apt.

suec1 Mar 24th, 2010 07:23 AM

I would GUESS you are getting more space and more modern for less money - that sounds like a winner to me. Each area has its pluses and minuses, Barcelona is a wonderful city and easy to get around. Enjoy!

opaldog Mar 24th, 2010 07:48 AM

Thanks so much to all of you. I just needed some positive reinforcement! I won't look back.

Nikki Mar 24th, 2010 08:27 AM

Just don't blame me if you don't like it.

But I have a hard time imagining being disappointed in this neighborhood. I agree that either area would be fine, but I truly believe that apartment is on the best street corner in Barcelona (haven't tried them all, of course). Great people watching on the park-like median strip that you can see from your windows or from benches right in front, or from outdoor tables for the tapas bar next door.

The best hot chocolate I have ever had just across the street. The fabulous array of food at Cerveseria Catalana around the corner. Gaudi's Pedrera a block or two away. Good public transportation connections and plentiful taxis.

Cowboy1968 Mar 24th, 2010 08:33 AM

Actually, your apartment (Pedrera) is on the Rambla Catalunya (one block off Pg de Gracia). Even though the Rambla Catalunya is the upper extension of the famous/infamous "Las Ramblas" (i.e. the part between Pl Catalunya and the old harbour), it has nothing to do with the latter in style and appearance. It's a very, very nice neighborhood, upscale shopping, but also regular cafes or tapas bars which are still regularly priced.
You can "take a look" with Google streetview.

danon Mar 24th, 2010 08:36 AM

one more vote for Cervesria Catalana !
Love the food and the vibe.
Rabla de Catalunya is one of my favorite streets in Europe.

yk Mar 24th, 2010 08:38 AM

I think you'd be happy with either option anyway.

opaldog Mar 24th, 2010 08:47 AM

Again, to everyone who replied I appreciate all of your input. Nikki: I only have myself to blame, however I think we are going to be very happy there. I love an apartment with a big window and good people watching opportunities. The bakery across the street sounds appealing as did the Cerveseria Catalana. I also enjoyed your trip report of Barcelona.

Nikki Mar 24th, 2010 09:13 AM

I did just notice that your other choice, in El Born, is a two bedroom apartment. I assume you realize that the Pedrera apartment is one bedroom, right?

opaldog Mar 24th, 2010 09:22 AM

I do. I figured the price is very good in November and that I could use the extra space for luggage. It's just the two of us going. I am also planning on going on the cable car and I saw in your report that you and your husband did that. Sometimes heights can get to me but usually only when they are wide open. You mentioned glassed-in so I assume that when I get that uncontrollable urge to jump, I won't be able to.

Nikki Mar 24th, 2010 10:20 AM

The best part of taking the cable car is the cafe when you get off at the top on Montjuic with a great view of the waterfront and the city. On a sunny day in February, I didn't want to leave.