Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

swisshotel or intercontinental in Istanbul??

Apr 27th, 2001, 11:19 AM
babs

going in august, 2 nights, do we want swisshotel or intercontinental?? pool, some luxury...not especially concerned about $$.
thanks for your input.

Apr 27th, 2001, 03:26 PM
nancy

Why not try the Ciragan Palace since $$$$ seem not to be important. I hear it's wonderful.

Apr 27th, 2001, 04:11 PM

Apr 28th, 2001, 01:53 AM
babs

Thanks, Nancy

Apr 28th, 2001, 09:29 PM
alan

How about the 4 Seasons? I didn't stay there but it was a very nice looking hotel with a great location in the old city.
alan

Apr 28th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Lori

We stayed at the Hyatt which is very close to both hotels you asked about. I would agree with staying at the Four Seasons which is in the old town area--very nice property and near all the sites which is what you want when you're only in town for 2 nights. The cab rides are not that pricey, but there is considerable traffic often between the area where the Intercon and Swiss Hotel are located. I did not see the rooms at either of the hotels that you asked about, but I think the Intercon is located more conveniently to the Square etc for strolling, exploring. Hyatt seemed a bit more intimate to me. (Intercon is a high rise) You can see my comments on the Hyatt in the Rants and Rave section of this site. Ciragon Palace did have a great pool/bar on the Bosphorus, (again didn't see the rooms) but again I would recommend the 4 seasons for proximity to sites.

Have a great time!

Apr 29th, 2001, 08:52 AM
guy

I stayed at the Keminski Ciragan Palace a few months ago, and also stopped into the Four Seasons. Albeit, they are both a bit $$$$...but with either of these you will not make a bad choice..Yes, the 4 Seasons is located within walking distance to Topaki, Blue Mosque, Haigh of Sophia, Grand Bazaar, and the Spice Market..which makes it very convenient..but the Ciragan Palace is but a short taxi ride...or a very short walk to ride the water taxi and be dropped conveniently near these sites..Clearly, the Ciragan is very elegent and the allure of a room overlooking the Bosphorous is very intoxicating. I enjoyed my stay here very much....and although a bit cold to take a dip in the pool when I was there..it would be nice to go back when it was warmer and give it a try..as it is located right on the shores of the Bosphorous. I would think that you can go to each of the websites for these hotels..including the two you asked about..and glean a good deal of information..I don't think you can make a bad choice.

May 1st, 2001, 09:01 AM
David

We just returned from Istanbul and stayed at the Hilton. We were unable to get a room at either the Cirigan or The Four Seasons (which would be my first choice on my next visit). We were, however, very impressed with the Hilton. It is at a very quiet end of Taksim Square and set far back from the traffic. The Views of the river were beautiful, rooms were great and service 5 star. They have a great gym with an indoor pool, turkish bath, steam room, sauna ect. I highly recommend it. In my opinion, the further from Taksim, the better.

May 1st, 2001, 09:44 AM
J

I was last week in Istanbul. I don't know specifically the hotels you mentioned, but Golden Tulip Eresin (Topkapi) and Marmara (Tacsim - great view) are alternatives to consider.

Don't worry about walking distances, because there are plenty taxis and very cheap (with the equivalent to 3 or 4 USD you may go almost everywhere).
Most taxi drivers know only a few words in English, so that's a good idea to have the directions writen in a paper.

Great bazar is a must. There is a ATM right there.

Blue Mosque and Topkapi palace are other places not to forget.

Have fun.