Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Swiss Watches in Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/swiss-watches-in-switzerland-266310/)

Duke Oct 16th, 2002 08:58 AM

Swiss Watches in Switzerland

I will be traveling to Switzerland soon. Are there any good deals on watches in Switzerland? Rolex priced below US prices? Any other deals or stores you know to shop? Any help would be appreciated.

ttt Oct 16th, 2002 09:35 AM

topping for Duke, I also want to know

karl Oct 16th, 2002 09:41 AM

I never found any prices that were better than in the states, but maybe someone else has.

Bob Oct 16th, 2002 10:23 AM

I purchased a watch at Burcherers. They had good selection in Lucerne. The Rolex question is good and I do not have an answer to that one.

bettyk Oct 16th, 2002 10:31 AM

My husband bought a Tag Heuer in Lucerne in May. After checking the stores back home, we figured we saved several hundred dollars. Since it was a Bucherer store, they gave us a good discount up front and then we got a credit for the VAT tax. All we had to do was drop off some paperwork as we left the country.

Jan Oct 16th, 2002 10:40 AM

We have found Rolex to be priced the same. Apparently, the price is fixed by the mfg. before it makes it to the store, regardless of country.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

steve Oct 16th, 2002 10:56 AM

I was looking for a Rolex while in Switzerland and did not find the prices appealing. Bought it when I returned to the states. <BR><BR>Was hoping to have one from the motherland, but it did not work out.

mh Oct 16th, 2002 11:36 PM

I live in europe and the cheapest place to buy a swiss watch is Amsterdam. Rolex is a status symbol but doesn't keep accurate time. I used to own one and it lost 5 minutes every month. I complained to a jeweler and he told me that " you buy a Rolex for status not because it is an execellent time piece". I now wear a Baume and Mercier watch that I got in Amsterdam, two years ago. It is the best watch I have ever owned and keeps exact time, and came with a 2 year warranty. I paid close to 700.00 and priced the watch here in Germany and it was 400.00 more. A jeweler told me that I would never find that watch at that price in this country. I live two hours away from Basel and love to shop there. I can honestly say that the Swiss have no big bargains. I would price the watch you want and then start thinking about other places in europe that may be more affordable. Since you stated Rolex in your topic, I am guessing that is the brand you want, but don't dismiss the idea of a much better quality timepiece for the same or less money. Afterthought: with the euro it may make no difference in prices, as I have noticed that the good designer bargains, that were in abundance have disappeared with the euro. Let us know what you decide and how your trip was.

Jim Oct 17th, 2002 02:56 AM

I have an old Omega - dunno about prices but getting repairs done in Switzerland is very cheap compared to UK. They don't charge at the Bucherer store in Lausanne but charged me over &pound;100 in London for a service!

Wayne Oct 17th, 2002 06:34 AM

You might try the towns of Le Locle or La Chaux de Fonds where all of the Swiss watches are made. We went to Le Locle a couple of years ago and found nice bargains on some hoity-toity brands. We also toured several of the watch-making factories. It was a surprise to us that this little area, a scenic drive just north of Neuchatel, is the center for watch factories of all brands.

Jinx Hoover Oct 18th, 2002 05:32 AM

For what it is worth, A Swiss citizen told me several years ago that if you pay more than $300-400 for a Swiss watch, you are paying for niceties and names. The "guts" (essential inner workings) are basically the same.<BR>I purchased a $400 Bucherer two years ago and am very pleased with it.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

xxx Oct 18th, 2002 07:30 AM

Jinx, I've come to agree with you... I've had a classic-design Tag Heuer for years, don't quite remember what I paid for it but must have been around 800 Swiss-Francs, and it's been the best. The quartz battery is still going strong; wear it during sweat-filled sports and with a formal suit. So have to say, am glad I haven't yet shelled out the 5'000 or so Swiss-Francs for the high-end stuff.

cal Oct 19th, 2002 09:10 AM

We just visited Bern last week and I agree the watch prices are not really cheaper than elsewhere. Our teenage son wanted a more grownup watch and although his teenage eyes were on the nicest Omega and Rolex watches he only needed a simple watch for now. We bought him a Certina brand and it was only approx. $220 US so the price was good enough. Don't know if they sell this brand in the US but we just wanted something we don't usually see in the US for him. Oh well.

Andrea Oct 19th, 2002 04:12 PM

It depends on why you're buying the watch, what price range you're interested in, and what brand of watch you want to buy. <BR><BR>My husband, who recently bought an IWC in Switzerland, assures me that prices are hundreds of dollars lower there than in the US for watches costing over $2500. Not sure what the implications are for customs into the US (we're American expats living in China).<BR><BR>Part of it, however, is the allure of buying your Swiss-made watch in Switzerland. Somewhat like buying a fine Burgundy in Burgundy, it's a subject of debate on this board, but in my opinion something you'll remember forever. Particularly nice for a fine watch that will last for generations. <BR><BR>Regarding the comment that if you pay more than $300 - 400, you're paying for "niceties" - I think it's a bit more than that. If you want a Swiss watch because it will keep perfect time, you're better off buying a quartz watch, which will keep more accurate time. When you buy a high-end watch, what you're buying is hand craftmanship and attention to detail following age-old mechanical techniques performed by an elite class of horologers. <BR><BR>A very good resource on watch buying is www.timezone.com, and Watch International magazine.

sandra Oct 19th, 2002 06:03 PM

As an American who used to do all her luxury shopping in Europe I have to tell you the Euro combined witht he weak dollar has just about killed all the great deals we used to get in Europe on European Products. <BR> Now the cheapest place on earth for luxury watches is the UAE. There are no taxes period. Husband was there on business and got 2000.00 raymond Weil for 950.00 US. . Gold and preciouse gems also much less expensive. Not a particularly apealing vacation spot. although it is home to the only 6 star hotel ( I think ) in the world.

Linda Oct 19th, 2002 07:52 PM

I bought my first Bucherer in Interlaken years ago and it is still one of my favorites. You can visit the bucherer.com website and get their catalogue. I ordered some Christmas gifts a couple of years ago and they were delivered well-packed and quickly.

ttt Oct 23rd, 2002 08:38 AM

To the top ... I have the same Q ... any other opinions? thx

John B. Oct 23rd, 2002 09:20 AM

If you want more info check out the forums on:<BR><BR>http://www.thepurists.com/<BR><BR>These folks are really into upscale watches and I'm sure they could be helpful. I visit the site from time to time just to see what I'm missing :)

Duke Oct 28th, 2002 10:46 AM

Top this