Swiss travel pass flex and Glacier Express purchase/reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling in Switzerland in early March. I have already figured out that husband and I need 8 day flex passes and sone (who will be skiing while we travel) will need 4 day flex pass. One of our travel days will be Dec. 8 on the Glacier Express between Zermatt and St. Moritz. In the past we've simply bought our passes in the Zurich train station on arrival. But this time I need to make a reservation on the Glacier Express. I've read the info on Seat 61 about booking the reservation when you have a Swiss pass but what I can't figure out is whether I can make that reservation without yet having the actual pass that it will work off of since I'd rather purchase on arrival in Zurich than by internet.

So my question is, must I have ALREADY purchased my passes in order to reserve a seat on the Glacier Express or can I purchase the reservation and then follow up with the pass purchase when I arrive in Switzerland?

Thanks for your expert help with this.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can make the reservation on the rhb.ch website and simply make one that gives you the pass rate. You'll have the pass when your actual tickets are checked on the train.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 05:28 AM

Yes you can reserve without a pass or ticket many here have said- thru official GE site. check prices for same exact pass here in U.S. and there - sometimes significantly cheaper here but not always and you can make the reservation along with buying pass - check www.budgeteuropetravel.com for U.S. prices and call Byron there if any questions - an expert you can talk to IME of buying passes from him for years - also check www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

But if prices here and there are about the same just buy there and do reservation separately as seems possible. GE trains can be full with tour groups so you may or may not be able to reserve once there.

Best bet reserve on own and buy pass on arrival unless prices are significantly cheaper here and if you can't make reservation on own.

So first thing go to official GE site and see if you can book seats - may have to say you'll have a pass.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 05:34 AM

Dukey has actually done it - so that's a definitive answer.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Not only is this great info, but it's what I was hoping could be the case. So nice to have true experts among us.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You mention both December and March?

Keep in mind you can also follow the Glacier Express route (or any scenic train route for that matter) on any regional train. For this you don't need a reservation. Regional trains tend to involve more stops and train changes, but they follow the same route.

I much prefer taking the regional trains - more flexibility, and generally fewer people. We took regional trains from St Moritz to Tirano one year via the Bernina Express route (incidentally on Dec 8!) and had an entire carriage all to ourselves.

Whatever you decide, enjoy Switzerland. We're headed back there ourselves in a week.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Ordinary trains St Moritz-Zermatt v.v. can be just as quick but involve a couple of changes of train and lack the posh observation carriages of the official GE but like Melnq8 I prefer them because GE IME always packed with tour groups and locals half empty. If going to St Moritz be sure to do a day out on the Bernina Express (or local) train route to the summit of Bernina Pass and back or forward to Italy.

Many people however enjoy the commentary and more plush rail cars of the GE and no changes of train required.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 08:15 AM

On the Bernina Pass line I vastly prefer locals over the official BE - especially in warm weather the open-air flat bed cars - the ultimate obsevation cars that are attached to some regional trains but not running in early March.

But if going to St Moritz be SURE to take the Bernina Pass line as it is IMO far more awesomely scenic than the GE route, which is really scenic in a few places and constantly nice (but to many boring IME) in between.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:17 AM

I think it would be nice to break up that long marathon 8-9 hour GE ride by say overnighting in say Andermatt area - an area of great beauty that few Americans at least visit. And make more enjoyable shorter train rides - no matter how scintillating the scenery 8-9 hours at once can be tiring - especially since the most awesome scenes are at either end of the route (Zermatt-Visp) and Reichenau up Albula Spirals (UNESCO World Heritage Site for daying railway engineering in mountainous setting for circa-1900) to St Moritz. But again IMO nothing approaches the awesomeness of Bernina Pass railway - for day trips just take train about an hour or so to two summit area stations - Alp Grum or Bernina Ospiz - walk around the Alpine lake to the tip of a glacier and back from one station to another.

Nice about day trips with no luggage you can do this.

BTW the name Glacier Express was given because the train used to go by glaciers in the Furka Pass but now tunnels under them - the only glaciers you may glimpse from GE will be leaving Zermatt I;d think.

Where are yous going after St Moritz? for more scenic trains head to Davos area.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the additional info. We are taking the Glacier Express to get between Zermatt and St. Moritz without stops since we will have luggage and ski equipment and would not enjoy multiple stops. It is nice to know, however, that if anything happens causing us to have to take the regional trains, they will have their virtues. And thanks for the info on where to go on Bernina Express day trips. We will be based in St. Moritz for a few days while our son skis and without luggage so we can take something out of there more easily--on either the express or the regionals. Off to do some research. Thanks for heading me in the right directions.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8, Sorry for my date confusion. Our travel date is March 8. I have December on my mind because I'm trying to recall when I can book 3 months/90 days out from that March date. Enjoy your time there in December.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:37 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernina_railway

tells of highlights on the route - couple of nice spots to get off and explore besides summit stations.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ, We head to St. Gallen for a couple of days after St. Moritz and then from there direct to Zurich airport. So afraid Davos won't work for us. Do we need to go as far as Reichenau and Albula to see the best of the Bernina Express route or is there some good stuff between St. Moritz and, say, Tiefencastel which would only be 2 hours round trip rather than 4 (especially after coming off an 8/9 hour trip a day or two previous)? As always thanks for sharing your vast knowledge.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Well the really awesome Top of the World scenery is mainly south of St Moritz (Bernina Pass RR starts at St Moritz though some BEX trains start from Chur or Davos). Nothing else can compare in the area (or in Europe) as the about one-hour St Moritz-Ospizio Bernina (summit station) trip each way.

The Albula Spirals come before St Moritz when coming in from GE that goes over them - and to reach Chur (where you have to change from narrow-gauge mountain trains to normal-gauged mainline trains when going to Zurich/St Galein) and are a novelty because train loops inside the mountain but no glaciers, etc, Not comparable but neat.

I highly suggest that in 2-3 days in St Moritz taking regular trains to Ospizio Bernina summit station - do the easy walk to a glacier perhaps, etc. Check www.budgeteuropetravel.com and their free online European Planning & Rail Guide Italy/Switzerland chapters for more on the routing of Bernina Pass Railway and map and where to get off, etc.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I will do as you suggest. Appreciate the guidance.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:20 PM

Thank you, and the 8-consecutive day Swiss Pass is gold for all your travels - covering Bernina Pass railway in full (but GE hefty supplement unfortunately) - just hop on any 100% covered train -free entry to hundreds of museums and sights too and 50% off most lifts and mountain trains not fully covered. also just hop on any city bus or tram or funicular, etc. Boats too but in March...
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Yup. We're well acquainted with the Swiss Pass. Son skis, we go on lovely train tips to lovely places. We are all happy.

One thing you say hasn't crossed my radar yet--the supplement for Glacier Express. I'm looking at a small price for reservation (around 10 euros per person) and an optional charge of around 43 euros for a 3 course lunch per person. Am I missing something and if so where should it appear? As a supplement for the Flex Pass for travel on Glacier Express route?
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Well it may well be a more reasonable 10 euros now hopefully but several years ago I paid 35 CHF or so with my pass. So I think the 10 euro could be right.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

I hope so. There are very few costs in this world that decline. Hope this is one. Thanks again, for all your help on this.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I recall if you are using a SwissPass there is no supplement for using it on the Glacier Express. You do, however, have to pay the seat reservation charge in full.

ALL of this is listed on the RHB.ch site I mentioned upthread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -