Search

swiss travel for 6 days need advice on planning and where to visit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swiss travel for 6 days need advice on planning and where to visit

Hi guys,

will be flying into geneva in december and i have around 6 days in swiss to travel around. I am thinking of staying in interlaken for 5 days and use it as my base to travel around the swiss alps. Do you think 5 days is a bit too much ? I am planning to get the swiss pass to travel around too.

I have been to lucerne and zurich before, so am not planning to go there again this time. WOuld love to hear from all of you regarding suggestions for the 6 days. Thank you
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Hi hugodadog,

No, five days is certainly not too much; there are loads and loads of things to do, from walking in the mountains to walking around the lakes to taking day-trips to nearby cities like Thun, Spiez,& Bern.

Normally, I would opt to stay in one of the cozy little car-free villages perched in the mountains above Interlaken. However, because December can be sort of dead in the mountains before the snow comes, Interlaken might actually be your best bet. Or you could investigate Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

www.myjungfrau.ch

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:45 PM

The area between Lausanne and Montreaux is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can travel by train, foot or bicycle between nine villages set amidst the terraced vinyards planted centuries ago by Benedictine monks and tended today by a network of vintners who will welome you into their caves. You can take a train to any of the villages along the lake, walk the paths and even return to your starting point by boat on Lake Geneva. The views are stunning and I can't even imagine how beautiful it must be in the fall, but do not know how long fall lasts in Switzerland.

The smallest of the villages, Lutry, has a charming harbor, featuring a coffee shop with a rhubarb sorbet I will never forget and tiny, exclusive shops you won't have to share with other tourists. There are also some ancient stones of interest there. They are quite casually displayed in a public parking lot!

There are so many beautiful places to visit in Switzerland, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time no matter where you go.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much all.. Sounds like interlaken is a good choice then. Is mid december going to be really cold. What are the chances of seeing JUngfrau around that time too ?

Is it worth staying in Geneva ? recommended things to see there ?

Sandals, is there a name of the place between Lausanne and Montreaux( i mean the place u mentioned). How do i get there from interlaken ? By train ?

Thank you
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Hi again,

I often visit Montreux and see the vineyards of the Corniche Lavaux (that's the name of the area); I've enjoyed visiting Lutry and Cully and Rivaz and Chexbres and St. Saphorin & the rest.

However, I don't think they'll be great in Dec. They are spectacular in Sep/Oct, but by November they are basically brown sticks in mud!

You can get there, though, by taking the train from Geneva to one of the towns. One of the gateways to the area is the town of Vevey, or even Lutry as sandals mentioned. Or use the towns I've named here. Just input the data at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

as From Geneva To Lutry (or Chexbres, etc).

It would be much too far to see as a day-trip from Interlaken. There are vineyards around Spiez if you really want to see some!

The only thing that will keep you from seeing the Jungfraujoch would be the weather. Wait for a clear day then just ascend by train!

Whether it is "really cold" or not really depends on a lot -- if you're from a warm or cold place, if you have good cold-weather gear, and what the weather will be like. There's no way we can predict the weather this far in advance, but you can always prepare for it with proper clothes.

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes it's cold. It's winter! But more mild at "lake level" along Lac Leman outside Geneva. The main towns are Morges, Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux. They are all easily reached by train from Geneva (+/- 1 hour). Geneva itself didn't do much for me... but I adore Vevey and Montreux!