Swiss tour - Aug 30-Sept 2 questions

Apr 7th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Swiss tour - Aug 30-Sept 2 questions

Hi,
my wife and I plan to tour the swiss around Aug 30th - Sept 3rd. We are planning on a 3-4 day trip. Is it a good time to visit Swiss weather wise?? This is what we planned but wanted to make sure.. Please let us know whats best.

Day 1 - Land in Zurich, see the city till 2pm and catch train to Lucerne. Overnight stay in Lucerne
Day 2 - Mt. Titlis and Pilatus. if possible a train ride on Lake Lucerne. Overnite in Lucerne.
Day 3 - Train ride to Interlaken and excursion trip up to the Jungfraujoch to see Aletsch Glacier. Proceed to Zermatt.
Day 4: Train ride from Zermatt to St.Moritz via Glacier Express( 7.5 hrs). Get off at Chur and return to Zurich.
Day 5: Catch return flight.

Please let us know if we should add/modify any other excursions.

Thanks for the help.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Hi vnaladi,

Good gosh man, slow down!

Have you checked into the train trips to see how long they are?

On Day 3, the trip from Luzern to the Jungfraujoch is 4h40, then from the Jungfraujoch to Zermatt is 5h57. So that one day has about 11 hours of only sitting on a train.

On Day 4, the GE as you know is 7h50. Then from Chur to Zurich is 1h30. So this day has 9h30 of sitting on a train.

I'm afaid your trip will only be a blur in your memeory!

Train schedules are at www.rail.ch.

I recommend you pick ONE spot and stay there -- taking short train trips and long walks. You'll remember more, and you'll enjoy it more.

s
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

ya saw the train schedule. i was inclined to skip interlaken and Jungfraujoch, spend time in lucern n see places n hike. i either plan to stay overnite in st.moritz after the 8hr train ride in glacier express n then leave for zurich next day. Is it good to skip interlaken and Jungfraujoch ???? as there more places around lucerne??
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I don't think it's possible to see Pilatus and Titlis in one day.

A train ride on Lake Lucerne? I think you mean boat ride. Very nice to do. You could stop in Weggis, take the cable car to Rigi Kaltbad, walk to Rigi Kulm (or take the train) and then take the Vitznauer Rigibahn down to Vitznau and catch the ferry again.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Sure, the weather's likely very nice in Switzerland in the summer.

As above, your pace is absolutely frantic in that itinerary you posted!
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Weather will be lovely. Day 3 is nuts.

Go to Interlaken - But instead of Jungfraujoch which is a long ride up there and back, go to the Schnygge (spelling?) Platte (alpine garden). It's fantastic. To get to the Schnygge you will go on an awe inspiring alpine cog wheel train (not a long ride), and then most of your time in the "garden" itself - it's right smack in the mountains with cow bells chiming and the three big alpine mountains in your face.

Overall, don't do too much or you will be frantic and not enjoy anything that you do.
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM

You have listed twice as many things as you can possibly do (based on train, boat, cable car schedules etc) even assuming the weather co-operates - which is not guaranteed.

We had to wait until our third day to go up the Jungfrau because the top was socked in with clouds the other 2 days. Similarly we went up Mt Pilatus on a beautiful sunny day in Lucerne - and by the time we got to lunch the clouds had rolled over the top of the mountains and we had to grab our plates and head inside. Luckily we had toured around first - but on the trip back down everything was invisible until halfway down the mountain.

You really have only 3.5 days. I would just base yourself in Lucerne and see what you can from there.
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for the help. I think i will stay at Lucerne on Day 2 and 3 and see Mt.Titlis & Mt. Pilatus. I meant the boat ride and will try to get on that one if poss a dinner cruise. Then proceed to either Zermatt to catch glacier express.