Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Swiss Rail - Is There a Lander-Like Pass?
Notices

Swiss Rail - Is There a Lander-Like Pass?

Oct 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Swiss Rail - Is There a Lander-Like Pass?

In Germany, you can get a regional train day-pass (usually called a Lander pass) for five people for around 29 Euros. Does Swiss Rail have anything like this? There are five of us traveling together, and we are planning to go from Basel to Zurich. We are looking for the most economical way to go.
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM

Hi lilla,

Nothing like the Länder passes in Germany, but Switzerland does offer a variety of passes and discount cards to help reduce the cost of travelling. None of them, however, are as clearly economical as the Länder -- someone has to sit down and do the math to determine which pass or discount card will work best for your plans.

You can get all the point-point prices at the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

But make sure that you UNcheck the "Half Fare" box (the default is for it to be checked).

Once you get the fares for each of your trips & excursions, add them up and compare them to the various passes & discount cards. You can see all of them at

www.swisstravelsystem.com

I used to have to do a spreadsheet to keep track of all the possible combinations and options. Every time I did that, the Half Fare Card always came out as the most economical option. These days, I save myself the headache and just get the HFC.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Search this Thread