Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   swiss pass - worthwhile ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/swiss-pass-worthwhile-536921/)

einavido Jun 15th, 2005 08:12 AM

swiss pass - worthwhile ?

We are a family of 4 (kids ages 6, 9). We will travel in Europe with a motorhome and intend to spend about a week in the Berner Oberland area. It seems that our transportation needs will include gondolas from Grindelwald to First and Maenlichen, From Wilderswil to Schynige Platte and from Lauterbrunnen to Murren - all for the purpose of hiking. Perhaps we will do the Brienzer Rothorn as well, but we do not intend to use trains nor boats for travel between cities or take expensive trips such as the Jubngfrau. It seems to me that under these assumptions, there is no point in purchasing one of the passes and it will not save me money. Am I correct ? Should I buy at least Junior Cards for the kids ? Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Intrepid1 Jun 15th, 2005 08:19 AM

As I recall, with a SwissPASS you can get, for free, the so-called SwissFamilyCard which allows children 15 and under to travel for free I believe when accompanied by their parents.

PalQ Jun 15th, 2005 08:20 AM

No to Swiss Pass if just in the Berner Oberland - investigate the Berner Oberland regional pass and the Jungfrau area pass - last year i did the Jungfraujoch train and Schilthorn and found that these two pricey rides alone were as much as the Jungfrau area pass which would have given me unlimited rides on many gondolas, trains, etc. - I missed the boat. But for the Berner Oberland pass you must travel enough - get a copy of the Jungfrau magazine which i believes gives prices for all conveyances in the region and pass prices and compare. buy passes at stations in the area, no photo required. Kids may go free. BobBrown, from Florida has written extensively and expertly on these passes in past posts.

PalQ Jun 15th, 2005 08:23 AM

Yes Intrepid is right - each child under 16 travels free if accompanied by their parents on the Swiss Pass - only with parents, however, grandparents or other relatives no. I don't know if this is true of regional passes or not but ask. From your travel plans i don't think even the regional pass would be worth it for you.

Intrepid1 Jun 15th, 2005 08:26 AM

Hey, PalQ..help with my Trenitalia "Open Ticket" post, OK???? Thanks.

PalQ Jun 15th, 2005 09:00 AM

Jungfraubahnen Pass (from 2004 Jungfrau Magazine) 6 days 190 SF, covers:
Grindelwald Bus, Grindelwald-First; lauterbrunnen-Grutschalp-Winteregg-Murren; Interlaken ost-Lauterbrunnen; Grindelwald-Mannlichen; Interlaken-Harder Kulm; Jungfraubahnen Kinderzug (? no idea what this is); Grindelwald-Pfinstegg; Wengen-Mannlichen' Wilderswil-Schynige Platte-Teddyland; Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidee-lauterburnnen; Kleine Scheidegg-Eigergletscher; Eigergletscher-Jungfraujoch special price SF48 return. Many of these things are pricey so doesn't take much for pass to pay off. Pass sold May 1 - Oct 31. Swiss Pass holders pay SF140 as do Swiss Card and half Fare Card. Free for children with Junior Card (doesn't explain what age is or what Junior Card is, i assume it;'s like Family Card - one free with parent?? Sold at campings, hotels, all stations. Be sure to pick up your copy of the free Jungfrau Magazin at stations, hotels, etc., a wealth of info on all excursions, conveyances, etc.

cod Jun 15th, 2005 12:53 PM

We were there last year, and got Jungfraubahnen Passes for the adults, and Junior Cards for children. Junior cards cost 20sfs per child under 16, and are valid for a year. Children under 16 with Junior cards then go free everywhere with parents/a parent. They were all very worthwhile.You really should do the Schilthorn trip and the Jungfraujoch trip if you get clear weather - they are both wonderful experiences.