Reload this Page >

Swiss Pass 1st or 2nd class/8 Days

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Melissa Bennett

I am going to Purchase the 8 day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 Adults. Two Questions:<BR><BR>1) What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class?<BR><BR>2) Are reservations ever neccessary?<BR><BR>3) After reading up on Fodors - I believe that the Swiss Saver Pass is the one for me. (My itinerary is below)<BR><BR>Here is our travel plan: 8/28-9/3<BR><BR>Zurich to Lucern, Lucern to Wengen, day trips around the Bernese Oberland, Wengen to Zurich

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Kathy

In Switzerland, there's really not much of a difference between 1st and 2nd class. The Swiss trains are among the cleanest I've ever ridden (compared to the Italian, French, and Dutch trains). You'll love the Swiss train system. They are incredibly punctual. The seats in 1st are slightly bigger and there are fewer seats across. Second class was fine for me - on most of my journeys, the seats next to me were empty and I was able to spread out. <BR><BR>I used an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass in March 2002. I bought a 2nd class pass and used it everywhere (including the Zurich buses and trams).<BR><BR>I did not make any reservations for any of my trains. However, if you're planning to travel on a Friday afternoon (or some other extremely busy time), it can be a little difficult getting a seat. I went to Luzern on a Friday and was catching the return train to Zurich at 4:00pm. The train was packed! I was fortunate to find a seat, but some people were standing for a while.<BR><BR>You may want to check on the Swiss train website and find out the individual ticket prices of these trips. I had to use my Swiss Saver Pass A LOT in order to break even. I will say the Swiss make it very convenient to use. I went to the Zurich Bahnhof and validated my Pass at the ticket office directly (as opposed to Rome Termini where I was directed to three different offices).<BR><BR>Bon voyage!<BR>

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:21 AM
s

Melissa Bennett,<BR><BR>nonononono -- pardon my bluntness -- no.<BR>Do not buy a Swiss Saver Pass.<BR><BR>Your individual trips price out like this:<BR><BR>Zurich airport - Luzern 24 chf<BR>Luzern - Wengen: 38.40<BR>Wengen - Zurich airport: 75.40<BR><BR>Total: 137.80, for two: 275.60<BR><BR>The 8-day saver pass for two is 692 chf (340 for the first one, then 289 for the second adult).<BR><BR>You will be over-paying by 417 chf; you'll never take enough excursions to make this break even. And the Swiss Pass doesn't give you free transport from Grindelwald to the Jungfraujoch or from Muerren to the Schilthorn in the Berner Oberland; it only gives you a discount on those trips.<BR><BR>You may want to look into buying the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, but even that usually exceeds a traveller's requirements.<BR><BR>Do a text search here for two great threads: "Break Even Analysis of the Berner Oberland Pass" or the "Cost Analysis of the Swiss Pass." I can't remember the exact titles, but if you can find them, they'll help you with your cost estimates.<BR><BR>To add to Kathy's explanation of 1st & 2nd class -- 1st class is also less crowded & less noisy. Many Americans like to travel in 2nd class for the chance to meet locals.<BR><BR>For these routes, reservations are not required, but if you are travelling at a busy time, you may want to make them anyway. I haven't ever made reservations.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>s

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:53 AM
Tina

We just returned from Switzerland on a 9 day trip covering similar areas. We opted for the 8 day consecutive Swiss saver pass. We loved having this pass because we did use the trains/boats/buses quite a bit. It gave us much flexibility but you need to make sure you use your pass atleast once a day to keep this type of pass validated. The consecutive days pass was actually cheaper than the flexi pass. <BR><BR>Check out myswitzerland.com for pass prices but I would recommend buying them once you get there. You avoid paying the extra shipping fees/surcharges here. Reservations were not necessary except for the Golden Pass Train where we opted for the front car in 1st class.<BR><BR>We bought 2nd class tickets and most times, we had the whole train to ourselves. We went in May (low season) so that could make a difference as well. All the trains were very clean and enjoyable, and had smoking/non-smoking sections which I appreciated very much.<BR><BR>I'm envious...enjoy your trip...we're planning to go back next year!<BR><BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:04 AM
michelle

Our itinerary is a little different. We want to go from Paris to Strasbourg, Strasbourg to Bern, Bern to Lucerne roundtrip, and then Bern back to Paris.<BR><BR>Can anyone let me know if can buy advance tickets from Swiss Rail for the Paris/Strasbourg and Bern/Paris journeys<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:29 AM
Bob Brown

Let me hop in on this one with a little repeated info. I did put considerable time into searching for the figures that I put into my pass cost figures. But even so, it was my own needs that were being evaluated. I did try to generalize a little, but I am sure that you folks understand that there were some personal interests that were the driving force behind spending the time to do it. I think also, I saw a general, but seconary, need there. <BR><BR>The Berner Oberland Pass data can be found in English here:<BR>http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/<BR><BR>The Swiss rail pass info can be found here: http://www.sbb.ch:80/pv/sts_e.htm<BR><BR>You will need Adobe Acrobat to read the detailed prices. But the info is from the source, and in English.<BR><BR>Individual prices for the Berner Oberland are here:<BR>http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/english/pages/SE/SE_KrTe.htm<BR><BR>You can do your own research to suit your own schedule and needs.<BR><BR>After I put the time into doing it, I thought I could at least share it with the Fodorite group. <BR><BR>Yes, as HeeHaw said, you can prove anything with assumptions. But I had to start someplace and the assumptions were what I intend to do, weather permitting. That is always the imponderable constraint in the mountains.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:40 AM
jw

Hi. I've used the 8 day Swiss Saver Pass on two different trips and loved it. But it is true that you have to use trains, buses, and boats a lot to get your money's worth. I always do, and I really like the spontaneity. Of course one time I was so spontaneous I hopped on a train going to the wrong place, but no matter. (Two trains left from the same track within three minutes of each other-- moral, always read the destination on the side of the train.) <BR><BR>I have a question-- For years I thought that the passes had to be purchased before leaving the U.S. I see this is no longer true. Are all the passes available at the SwissRail ticket window at the airports? Thanks. J.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:25 AM
s

For jw,<BR><BR>Hello! Great to see you're active out here today too!<BR><BR>I just re-checked the SBB site ("Travel/Timetable," then "Guests from Abroad" then "Swiss Travel System" and at the bottom of the page) and found this info:<BR><BR>Swiss Pass, Swiss Flexi Pass, and Swiss Youth Pass are available in major train stations in Switzerland.<BR><BR>Swiss Transfer Ticket is not available in Switzerland.<BR><BR>Swiss Card is only available at border or airport train stations.<BR><BR>I know also that the Half-Fare card is only available in Switzerland (planning to get my first one this fall, so I've been looking for vendors).<BR><BR>Great hearing from you!<BR><BR>s

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Laurie

I checked and found that for our trip a few weeks ago it was cheaper to buy individual tickets rather than a pass. One thing we did do (I don't know if this is right, but we got away with it) is we would buy a ticket from say one city to another and get off at a city in between, reboard a later train to the ticketed city. <BR><BR>The only reason I would buy 1st class over 2nd would be if it were a long trip and I was planning on doing some napping.<BR><BR>Have fun,<BR>Laurie

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Dan

I'll be in Switzerland next week and I've been weighing the 1st or 2nd class issue too. My wife and I will have two large duffel bags. Will it be a problem to find space for them on the 2nd class car?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:48 PM
ttt

topping

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Betsy

You can post your itinerary at www.railsaver.com for a comparison between the cost of a pass vs. point-to-point tickets.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:28 PM
alpie

Melissa: If the towns you listed are all you are doing, you are wasting a lot of money by buying a Swiss Saver Pass. The Half-Fare card is probably all you need.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:41 AM
s

For Dan:<BR><BR>No, you shouldn't have a problem finding room for two large duffel bags. There is usually a small space at the end of the car for luggage. Sometimes there is space between the seats, as well, but I'm not sure if a duffel will fit.<BR><BR>Let us know how you did -- and where you went!<BR><BR>s

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:02 AM
solo

Melissa - what did you decide to buy and why?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Alan

If I were you, I'd hold off and not buy any pass until you arrive in Switzerland. Your plans may change like ours did (finding a great area and staying longer than expected). As it turns out, we saved so much money by not buying the pass we originally had planned to buy. We saved by doing the point to point tickets as we ended up spending more time in some locations. The pass would have been paying way to much. Just wait until you arrive in Switzerland before buying anything. Good Luck

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Melissa Bennett

Thanks for all of your advice. I have decided to get a Youth Swiss Pass - since Im 25 I get it at a discount. I know I may not break even - but I am going for convienece; and if I dont have to wait in line to purchase train tickets everywhere I go, all the better. I do plan on taking many daytrips - so hopefully I will come close to breaking even. I will let you all know if I do - or- if I should have listened to some of you. I have also decided to get 1st class - for the comfort factor and because I really wanted to fly 1st class and could not afford to, so may as well take the train 1st class. This may be my only chance in life to travel to Switzerland so I will do it in style. Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Once I am back - I will let everyone know how it goes.<BR><BR>-Melissa

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
alpie

Melissa: Have a wonderful time on your trip. Be sure and report back in.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:24 AM
jsw

I was just there last month and we took the train into Zurich from Germany (after visiting family) and bought our Swiss Saver Flexi Passes in the Zurich train station.<BR>Agree that 2nd class is the way to go. We had one large (very) rolling suitcase and a smaller carry-on roller. Had no problem finding room at the end of the cars where luggage is stored. Smaller bag fit b/t the seats.<BR>Have fun! It's a clean and beautiful country. We can't wait to go back!