Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Swiss or Italian Lakes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/swiss-or-italian-lakes-308919/)

T_39ja Apr 20th, 2003 05:06 PM

Swiss or Italian Lakes?

Which is better to spend a week on? Lake Como or Lake Lucerne? Any suggestions for elegant romantic luxurious accomodations?

Patrick Apr 20th, 2003 05:15 PM

As a brief answer, Lake Lucerne and area has more to do. Lake Como is more beautiful and &quot;romantic&quot;. <BR><BR>How luxurious? You couldn't do better than Villa d'Este on Lake Como.

Grasshopper Apr 20th, 2003 05:53 PM

Why not go to Maggiore and have both? It's my favorite lake. Particularly at the Swiss end (Locarno) with visits to the Italian side (Stresa).

lyb Apr 20th, 2003 09:26 PM

Grasshopper,<BR><BR>What do you feel is better about Lake Maggiore? I'm going to Italy this summer and my tour takes us to Lake Maggiore. Having never heard of Lake Maggiore before, but having heard of Lake Como, I thought maybe I was being shortchanged. <BR><BR>But from what you wrote, it seems like I may be on the winning end. Can you tell me more about Lake Maggiore.<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR><BR>Lynn

Grasshopper Apr 21st, 2003 03:57 AM

Lynn,<BR><BR>I always happy to talk about Lago Maggiore! I have been to Como and agree that it's gorgeous. However, I frankly found it a little boring. After you've seen a villa or two and walked trhough some gardens, there really didn't seem to be a lot to do. Maggiore on the other hand has so much diversity. I stayed in Minusio, which is a the north end of Locarno at Albergo Navegna. From there I could take a boat to any town on the lake and explore the many places that way. (Stresa, Italy and Isola Madre with its gardens are a great day trip).<BR><BR>But my favorite thing was the Centovalli train. It was by far the most beautiful train route I've been on. A small, clackety thing, it literally goes through &quot;100 Valleys&quot; (centovalli), high atop incredible gorges, through tiny villages, past gorgeous old rusticas, through vineyards... from Locarno to Domodossola, Italy. You can take it to the Italy/Swiss border and rent a bike at the train station and ride back down the curving road (very safe and easy) back to Locarno. The prettiest trip imaginable.<BR><BR>If you are a hiker, there are scores of trails that begin at some of those tiny train stations and hike through the hills and valleys, coming out at other stations. Also, you can take a number of gondolas from stops along the way and get birds eye views from the mountain tops while enjoying lunch at a tiny &quot;grotto&quot; restaurant.<BR><BR>One more spectacular thing to do from Locarno is take the train to Bellinzona, a Swiss town with three Roman castles, connected by castle walls, dating back to 1200. Truly beautiful.<BR><BR>If you want more information, feel free to email me. [email protected]<BR><BR>

swandav2000 Apr 21st, 2003 04:08 AM

Wow, Grasshopper, what delightful images. Hmmm. You're making serious dents in my reluctance to return to the Ticnio!<BR><BR>s

jmw Apr 21st, 2003 05:08 AM

Hi G, S, and T39ja! To get back to the original question, Ticinophiles, :) Lakes Lucerne and Como are verrrry different in atmosphere (architecture, food, language, even humidity). . . so, T', maybe you can decide based upon if you love a place with Italian influences or German/Swiss influences more. Both lakes are bound to be spectacular, but one will be Swiss and one will be Italian. (pardon my duh) Any chance you can do three nights each? J.

T_39ja Apr 21st, 2003 03:52 PM

I was debating between the Park Hotel Vitznau on Lucerne...and the Villa d'este on Como. I may do both since they're fairly close to each other. Thanks so much for your suggestions!!

BATUFFOLINA Apr 21st, 2003 04:13 PM

Grasshoper is right, Lake Maggior is worth to be visited too because of the beatiful views and places. Here are some other places to visit there (on the italian side): the borromees islands starting with Isola Bella (Borromeo Palace and gardens with peacocks too and incredible architecture), Isola Pescatori (fishermen's island) a tiny village on the island, Isola Madre with Toscanini's villa and then also worth to be visited: Villa Pallavicini for its gardens, Rocca di Angera in front of Arona (a Rock that hosts a small dolls museum but is remarkable for the view of the opposite side of the lake), the S. Caterina's nunnery, nestled on a rock. Lesser known that Lake Como, Lake Maggiore is really worth a visit. And this is only the part around the lake! All around there are mountains and beautiful valleys like Val D'Ossola which I have visited and which is amazing. If you drive northward along the lake anyway you will end up in the swiss part of the lake and you will be able to see Cannero Castles. Locarno is really lovely. There is also Ascona and Minusio to see. Pretty small villages but really enchanting!

foodiern Apr 21st, 2003 05:00 PM

Grasshopper,would Minusio be a good, central spot for a 6 day visit for a 45y\o solo female traveler? I will not be renting a car so will be walking to restaurants &amp; taking trains for excursions. Your descriptions sound perfect. Suggestions as to places to stay?<BR>Thanks

Grasshopper Apr 21st, 2003 05:20 PM

Foodien, I spent five days by myself there last summer. I didn't want to leave! I recommend Albergo Navegna. It's right on the lake. www.navegna.ch. I think it was about $60 a night for a single with breakfast. They also have a good half board option which I didn't choose. I usually don't like to eat at my hotel. Big mistake. It was so good I ended up eating there every night. They have an outdoor dining area that is just beautiful and the food was so good. I really recommend the vegetable carpaccio. Only one caveat... the train goes right by the hotel and it's really loud. It takes a little getting used to. But I figured that if the people in those amazing villas could tolerate it, who was I to complain?!<BR><BR>There is a promenade that goes along the lake right to downtown Locarno. About 1 kilometer. <BR><BR>Email me if you have any questions.

lyb Apr 21st, 2003 06:17 PM

Grasshopper,<BR><BR>Wow, Lake Maggiore really does sound wonderful, now, I'm dissapointed I won't be spending more time there. But I guess there's always another trip, another time.<BR><BR>This is my first time in Italy, actually in Europe and I'm going to many cities in Italy, but I have the feeling that I'm going to be planning a return trip as I step on the plane to come back home!<BR><BR>Thanks for your input.

jmw Apr 22nd, 2003 05:19 AM

Lyb, you've got that right. And it just gets worse (or better depending upon your philosophy) the more you travel. foodiern, I see you've found Grasshopper. Actually, G, I've just bookmarked navegna so I can recommend it to friends (because you know where I'll always return, though HP isn't as grand as AN--no grounds). Where was I? Oh yes, my question is re day-tripping by train from the Navegna-- did you walk the 1k to the station? <BR><BR>T-39, are you still around? If so, I do think you'll be happy if you can stay on both lakes. Neither will suffer by contrast w/the other, and both are great. You'll enjoy German/Swiss cuisine and Italian as well--different beers, different wines, different breakfasts. J.

prizren Apr 22nd, 2003 05:29 AM

If you do take the train from Locarno to Domodossola, be sure to sit on the left-hand side. The views on that side are gorgeous, but on the other side, they are much less spectacular.

Grasshopper Apr 22nd, 2003 05:38 AM

Hi JW, yes, it was an easy walk. Once I tried walking to the bus stop to take the bus instead but found out it was actually harder. You have to walk significantly uphill about half the distance that you get to stroll along the beautiful lake. (and then wait for the bus)<BR><BR>I'm looking forward to experiencing the Hotel Panorama in June. Judi has done a great job of schmoozing the owners so they will no doubt take good care of us! Actually, HP and AN are about the same rate. On the plus side, HP won't have the train!<BR><BR>Prizen, you are right about the left side of the train. I found myself bouncing back and forth a lot on the two hour ride. Be sure to take a camera.

jmw Apr 22nd, 2003 05:45 AM

Yes it does, G. (not on its doorstep, but close enough; sorry to burst that bubble.)<BR><BR>Do you think you'll really be able to try that walk for me? I didn't have the courage to do it alone, because I'm not sure about the terrain, and there are no hills around here on which to practice. J.

Grasshopper Apr 22nd, 2003 05:49 AM

I already sent the description to Judi and she said she's up for it! (I have a feeling she's up for nearly anything...I could be in big trouble!)

jmw Apr 22nd, 2003 06:16 AM

Hanni and Axel are both very nice. Do either you or Judi speak Italian, German, or French? And by the way, all their guests whisper. The better to hear the little wavelettes lapping the shore. No wonder Americans are considered loud.

Grasshopper Apr 22nd, 2003 06:23 AM

I can pass in Italian. I'll remember to whisper! As for the train, I'll adapt. :-)

Judi Apr 22nd, 2003 07:02 AM

Well, it appears that the original poster couldn't be convinced but the Ticinophiles can talk amongst ourselves. :-)<BR><BR>Lynn, you will be pleased with Maggiore.<BR><BR>Foodiern, I spent two weeks in Ascona last fall and although I loved that pretty little town it was a twenty minute bus ride to the train station in Locarno. I would suggest that you stay in Minusio (or Locarno) but be sure to visit Ascona. I was traveling solo as well and it was a great experience. <BR><BR>I had a very nice meal at the Navegna. It was an easy walk back to the train station. <BR><BR>Grasshopper, I think perhaps we should wear little &quot;whisper&quot; signs at the Hotel Panoramic to remind each other..... JW, thanks for the tip and for the hotel recommendation.<BR><BR>Yes, I'm up for just about anything but remember, G, that you couldn't talk me into that bike ride!<BR><BR>